Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Toe numbness....

Posted by Crystal S on 11/10/02 at 09:38 (099700)

My question relates to the recent toe numbness I have been experiencing. I am a 2nd year nursing student who participates in clinical rotation M-F, and I bartend Sat and Sun. In short, I am on my feet an average of 60 hours a week. Two weeks ago, I started feeling numbness in the tops of my both of my 'big toes'. My concern is circulation ofcourse. But I was always led to believe that walking promoted circulation, not hindered it. Any insight owuld be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your sharing your knowledge.

Sincerely,
Crystal

Re: Toe numbness....

Dr. Z on 11/10/02 at 09:49 (099702)

HI

It could be from your back or it could be from rubbing of nerves that are on the side and top of the big toe. Do you have any other medical problems

Re: Toe numbness....Achilles Tendon Surgery.

thomas f on 11/10/02 at 22:29 (099753)

Hi I had surgery on the 17th of Oct,which was 5days after the injury.The Dr mentioned right before the surgery that he was going to sew both ends together. When the injury happened the only pain I had was in my Achilles area,but after the surgery when they took off the cast that was put on right after the surgery I got a pain that was on the top surface of my foot that was a shooting pain. It would paulsate constantly and has continued since the surgery. Another cast was put on and I kept it on for two weeks with the same pain that would seem to grow to the point of being unbearable. After the second week I went back to the Dr's office and complained that I could not bear the pain.They took off the cast and suggested maybe slightly moving the foot to generate stimulation, but that has not helped. Just below my ankle the area is numb. My two smallest toes are numb also. The area of the surgery is fine,And I do well normally with pain.I did not go to the Dr until two days had past, thinking I could ice it down when the injury first occured.But this shooting pain has got me? Can you please advise me the circumstances maybe. Thank you

Re: Toe numbness....

Dr. Z on 11/10/02 at 09:49 (099702)

HI

It could be from your back or it could be from rubbing of nerves that are on the side and top of the big toe. Do you have any other medical problems

Re: Toe numbness....Achilles Tendon Surgery.

thomas f on 11/10/02 at 22:29 (099753)

Hi I had surgery on the 17th of Oct,which was 5days after the injury.The Dr mentioned right before the surgery that he was going to sew both ends together. When the injury happened the only pain I had was in my Achilles area,but after the surgery when they took off the cast that was put on right after the surgery I got a pain that was on the top surface of my foot that was a shooting pain. It would paulsate constantly and has continued since the surgery. Another cast was put on and I kept it on for two weeks with the same pain that would seem to grow to the point of being unbearable. After the second week I went back to the Dr's office and complained that I could not bear the pain.They took off the cast and suggested maybe slightly moving the foot to generate stimulation, but that has not helped. Just below my ankle the area is numb. My two smallest toes are numb also. The area of the surgery is fine,And I do well normally with pain.I did not go to the Dr until two days had past, thinking I could ice it down when the injury first occured.But this shooting pain has got me? Can you please advise me the circumstances maybe. Thank you