Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain

Posted by helen on 11/10/02 at 09:48 (099701)

I,have been reading the different causes for heel spurs and what some remedies are most effective. I am a 53 year old b.f. but I have pain in the the back of my ankle is this also some form of heel spur? or what might this condition be? I've had this problem fot the past 4 months. It's not that painful when I walk it's mostly bothersome when I have my legs stretched out on my bed when I'm reading. I usually have to re-position my foot, put a pillow under it, or let my foot hang off the side of the bed. It's only in the right foot, and it's always swollen. Ice packs help a little. I can tolerate it since it's not a great deal of pain. It's the not knowing what it is or what causes this inflamation that is more of a concern for me than anything else. My activities are walking 1/2 mile 2-3 days a week (wheather permitting) but a do a great deal of driving, 60-80 miles a day throughout the course of my work week. I have osteo arthritis in both knees but that don't give me any problems and I do not take any medications. I would really like some help on this one.

Thank You,

Mrs. Helen Judah

Re: heel pain

helen J. on 11/10/02 at 10:02 (099703)

I am a 53 y.o.b.f. with osteo arthritis in both knees but have rarely any problems with my arthritis. Have no family history of foot or ankle problems, I do not take any medications I have pain and some inflamation to my right ankle that has been bothering me for the past 4 months. It's not that painful, it's the not knowing what this condition is and it's cause that I'm more concerned with. I was wondering if this could also be related to heel spurs.

I do a great deal fo driving 60-80 miles a day throughout the course of my work week. It doesn't bother me when I walk, it always bothers me when I have my legs stretched out on my bed when I'm reading. I usually prop a small pillow under my foot, re-position my foot or let in hang off the side of my bed to give me some relief.

Jan H. on 11/10/02 at 20:33 (099747)

Hi Helen,I don't know much about osteo arthritis, but I do have back of the heel pain and some swelling, I have a spur growing under my achilles tendon, so yes, you can get spurs there, it is not as painful as the ones on the bottom of my feet, but I have a hard time getting comfortable in bed also, sometimes with 'restless leg'-when no matter what I do my leg feels like it's in the wrong position. Hope you find the answers your looking for.

helen J. on 11/10/02 at 10:02 (099703)

I am a 53 y.o.b.f. with osteo arthritis in both knees but have rarely any problems with my arthritis. Have no family history of foot or ankle problems, I do not take any medications I have pain and some inflamation to my right ankle that has been bothering me for the past 4 months. It's not that painful, it's the not knowing what this condition is and it's cause that I'm more concerned with. I was wondering if this could also be related to heel spurs.

I do a great deal fo driving 60-80 miles a day throughout the course of my work week. It doesn't bother me when I walk, it always bothers me when I have my legs stretched out on my bed when I'm reading. I usually prop a small pillow under my foot, re-position my foot or let in hang off the side of my bed to give me some relief.

Jan H. on 11/10/02 at 20:33 (099747)

Hi Helen,I don't know much about osteo arthritis, but I do have back of the heel pain and some swelling, I have a spur growing under my achilles tendon, so yes, you can get spurs there, it is not as painful as the ones on the bottom of my feet, but I have a hard time getting comfortable in bed also, sometimes with 'restless leg'-when no matter what I do my leg feels like it's in the wrong position. Hope you find the answers your looking for.