Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A question about the type of pain PF causes

Posted by Kathy G on 11/10/02 at 10:50 (099709)

Yes, I've been posting for over a year now so I should know the answer but I don't. I tried a few searches but they didn't seem to bring up the results I was looking for. I'm hoping some of you can help.

Background: I got my orthotics relined and the doctor added arch support as well as a lift for my shorter leg. I had to go for thirteen days without orthotics until they were ready and my feet were in terrrible shape when I got them back. I thought that they were going to work out once my feet calmed down. Despite the fact that they made my arches hurt, I thought I'd adjust. My Pod really thinks I'd benefit from arch support. I wore them for three weeks and then went to Florida for six days and I can't believe how bad my feet are. Obviously, my feet aren't adjusting! I will call the doctor on Tuesday and pray there is an opening, without my having to wait for 4 weeks which is the way he is booking lately due to increase in his practice.

My question: In the past when I had pain in my heels, it hurt but I don't remember it burning. Is this a common symptom for acute PF of which I wasn't aware? I'm icing, stretching, etc. but the burning in my heels and arches is really bad. It doesn't go away for quite a while after I sit down, either. I'm a bit apprehensive about this being something else but I don't show any symptoms of TTS. By the way, I should mention that I brilliantly forgot my Vioxx so I was without it for the period we were away. I'm sure that didn't help. This pain is similar, but more acute, to the pain that I get in my hand where I have tendonitis. It's a burning pain. I did walk more a bit more than usual but not that much, except for in the airport. And of course, there was my trial at walking on the beach which is always disasterous but I always think that maybe the Foot Fairy has visited my feet and I can go back to doing that again.

Anybody ever experience a similar 'kind' of pain?

Re: A question about the type of pain PF causes

Carole C in NOLA on 11/10/02 at 11:21 (099713)

Kathy, yes burning is a symptom that a lot of us have felt with acute PF (including me). My PF was pretty classic, with achilles tendonitis and bursitis but no TTS. The burning actually extended to the entire sole of my foot at one point. Ow.

I got a chuckle out of your comment about the Foot Fairy. I was thinking the same thing. Going to Florida with painful orthotics? Forgetting your Vioxx? Walking in the sand? Kathy, you sound as 'bad' as me when it comes to wishful thinking. :) But I know how it is. Sometimes it's worth it just to feel sand between the toes and surf sloshing over the feet.

It sounds like you have had quite a PF flare-up, and it also sounds like you know what to do about it (rest, gentle stretching, always wear shoes, ice, etc). It will probably take a few weeks before you are feeling better because it sounds like you are in a lot of pain from acute PF right now. If you don't have your orthotics fixed yet, maybe it would be a good idea to try taping. I've never done it but I understand it's helped a lot of people here.

I hope you heal quickly!

Carole C

BrianJ on 11/10/02 at 15:47 (099726)

I have had PF pain for five years and, yes, I have very frequently experienced burning in my heels and arches. The pain will also radiate up into my ankles and lower shins if I stand still for more than 5-10 minutes. And yes, my burning continues for at least 10-15 minutes after I sit down.

carmen h on 11/11/02 at 09:00 (099774)

Burning....yes. Have had it off and on since I got this PF.
It's definitely gone down in recurrence considerably since I got the SDO's.

Re: Thanks to you all - I was concerned

Kathy G on 11/11/02 at 09:37 (099779)

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. I guess I don't remember how bad the pain was before. Or maybe it was never this bad. I do remember complaining about burning prior to being diagnosed with PF. It was all so long ago and I was doing so well before I got the stupid orthotics relined. I was even starting to take walks, along with my regular everyday activities. I should have left well-enough alone but I could tell that the padding was flattening in the orthotics.

I hope to rest a bit more today than I did yesterday. Had to go foodshopping and then wanted to take advantage of the warm weather prior to a week of rain to trim the bushes in the front of the house. My husband would do it but he never has and he's afraid he'd destroy my beloved holly bushes! I didn't do as good a job as I usually do but they look better than last year when, because of my sprained ankle, I couldn't do them at all.

Thanks once again. These boards are my salvation!

john h on 11/11/02 at 12:03 (099792)

When I first developed PF my pain was very clearly 'burning' type pain. I remember running through pools of water thinking the asphalt/concrete was hot! sure! I looked at old letter from a doctor where she said if the buring continued we would to look at a possible nerve type problem rather than PF> Over time I no longer describe the pain as burning but more of an ache in the arch area.

Kathy G on 11/11/02 at 17:26 (099830)

That is what I remember, John. I think maybe mine burnt prior to PT and then the pain started. I don't know but I got an appointment with the Podiatrist tomorrow. They're squeezing me in - I must have sounded pitiful, I guess! Well, desperate, anyhow. I told them that my feet hurt so badly while I was down in Florida that I bought a package of emery boards to see if I could sand down the arch support. My husband didn't say anything - exactly - just kind of nicely said that he thought it would take more than that! He was right. After a half hour of sanding, the pile of debris I had would have fit on the head of a pin. But it was worth a try - desperate times require desperate measures!

Hope it's just the orthotics that's causing it. I think it must be because I didn't have the burning before he relined them. I want them back exactly the way they were before! He told me that if I needed the arch support removed, they wouldn't have to send them out because he could do it. His office told me today that I'd have to have them sent out. I'm assuming he knows more than his office manager.

Thanks!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/10/02 at 11:21 (099713)

Kathy, yes burning is a symptom that a lot of us have felt with acute PF (including me). My PF was pretty classic, with achilles tendonitis and bursitis but no TTS. The burning actually extended to the entire sole of my foot at one point. Ow.

I got a chuckle out of your comment about the Foot Fairy. I was thinking the same thing. Going to Florida with painful orthotics? Forgetting your Vioxx? Walking in the sand? Kathy, you sound as 'bad' as me when it comes to wishful thinking. :) But I know how it is. Sometimes it's worth it just to feel sand between the toes and surf sloshing over the feet.

It sounds like you have had quite a PF flare-up, and it also sounds like you know what to do about it (rest, gentle stretching, always wear shoes, ice, etc). It will probably take a few weeks before you are feeling better because it sounds like you are in a lot of pain from acute PF right now. If you don't have your orthotics fixed yet, maybe it would be a good idea to try taping. I've never done it but I understand it's helped a lot of people here.

I hope you heal quickly!

Carole C

BrianJ on 11/10/02 at 15:47 (099726)

I have had PF pain for five years and, yes, I have very frequently experienced burning in my heels and arches. The pain will also radiate up into my ankles and lower shins if I stand still for more than 5-10 minutes. And yes, my burning continues for at least 10-15 minutes after I sit down.

carmen h on 11/11/02 at 09:00 (099774)

Burning....yes. Have had it off and on since I got this PF.
It's definitely gone down in recurrence considerably since I got the SDO's.

Kathy G on 11/11/02 at 09:37 (099779)

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. I guess I don't remember how bad the pain was before. Or maybe it was never this bad. I do remember complaining about burning prior to being diagnosed with PF. It was all so long ago and I was doing so well before I got the stupid orthotics relined. I was even starting to take walks, along with my regular everyday activities. I should have left well-enough alone but I could tell that the padding was flattening in the orthotics.

I hope to rest a bit more today than I did yesterday. Had to go foodshopping and then wanted to take advantage of the warm weather prior to a week of rain to trim the bushes in the front of the house. My husband would do it but he never has and he's afraid he'd destroy my beloved holly bushes! I didn't do as good a job as I usually do but they look better than last year when, because of my sprained ankle, I couldn't do them at all.

Thanks once again. These boards are my salvation!

john h on 11/11/02 at 12:03 (099792)

When I first developed PF my pain was very clearly 'burning' type pain. I remember running through pools of water thinking the asphalt/concrete was hot! sure! I looked at old letter from a doctor where she said if the buring continued we would to look at a possible nerve type problem rather than PF> Over time I no longer describe the pain as burning but more of an ache in the arch area.

Kathy G on 11/11/02 at 17:26 (099830)

That is what I remember, John. I think maybe mine burnt prior to PT and then the pain started. I don't know but I got an appointment with the Podiatrist tomorrow. They're squeezing me in - I must have sounded pitiful, I guess! Well, desperate, anyhow. I told them that my feet hurt so badly while I was down in Florida that I bought a package of emery boards to see if I could sand down the arch support. My husband didn't say anything - exactly - just kind of nicely said that he thought it would take more than that! He was right. After a half hour of sanding, the pile of debris I had would have fit on the head of a pin. But it was worth a try - desperate times require desperate measures!

Hope it's just the orthotics that's causing it. I think it must be because I didn't have the burning before he relined them. I want them back exactly the way they were before! He told me that if I needed the arch support removed, they wouldn't have to send them out because he could do it. His office told me today that I'd have to have them sent out. I'm assuming he knows more than his office manager.

Thanks!