Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Carole about trash pickup - Yes, I know it's a weird thread!

Posted by Kathy G on 11/10/02 at 11:19 (099712)

Carole,

Just got back from six beautiful days in Florida! There's a lot to be said for that nice warm weather. While we were gone, they had snow for the second time here in southern NH. Really, really early this year - it doesn't bode well for the winter.

I just didn't want you to miss my newest posting on the dump. Yes, just about everybody has a pick-up truck or an SUV that they use for going to the dump. And even though the town is much bigger than it used to be, older people seem to love the outing because they get to see so many people. Unlike my husband who goes only every 3 weeks or so, they make it a weekly outing so they don't have as much to carry. I'm telling you, our dump is a happening place! Isn't it hilarious?

After reading the boards, I realized what a 'countrified' life we live here even if we think we're urbane because we go to Boston to the theatre, etc. Compared to the rest of NH, the southern tier is very urban but I guess compared to the much of the US, we're still country hicks!

I was really interested in how you have a separate bill for water, trash removal, etc. Here in NH, we get one tax bill, twice a year, and the only breakdown is where they tell us what portion is town-related expenses and what portion is school-related. Obviously, the school part is much, much higher. We're not about to join the rest of the country in how we fund municipal and educational costs, at least not for the next two years, as the newly elected governor took the pledge, as we call it in NH. 'No income or sales taxes.'

I just love these boards because I get to hear about life in so many other parts of the country.

Now, I promise, I won't mention trash pickup again. And yes, the subjects we hit on are just so strange sometimes!

Re: To Carole about trash pickup - Yes, I know it's a weird thread!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/10/02 at 11:52 (099714)

Really, Kathy, I think there should be a sit-com based on your town dump! As you say, it sounds like a happening place! :) I can just imagine the older residents standing around and peering at everyone's trash as a break in their day after peering through the lace curtains at everyone all week. And not taking the trash away for three weeks? Ewww! That would never work in the South. I guess it's too warm for that here. I live alone, and so I don't make much trash... but I always leave a bag at the curb for at least one of the two weekly trash pick-ups, even if it's only half full.

No income or sales taxes either one? I like that! Louisiana has both, and will be getting more due to a constitutional amendment that was just voted in (and which I feel certain that the average Louisianan did not fully understand due to the way the summary was worded).

On the other hand, we have very low property taxes due to our homestead exemption. The first 75K of a home's value is not taxed at all if the owner lives in it.

Our state legislators have a habit of tying unpopular measures to the funding of education, so that they will pass. We are constantly either 49th or 50th in the country in our K-12 public education, vying with Mississippi for the bottom of the heap. It's disgraceful. But, Louisiana is entering a new era and I would not be at all surprised if things improved here in the not so distant future.

Carole C

Re: To Carole about trash pickup - Yes, I know it's a weird thread!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/10/02 at 11:52 (099714)

Really, Kathy, I think there should be a sit-com based on your town dump! As you say, it sounds like a happening place! :) I can just imagine the older residents standing around and peering at everyone's trash as a break in their day after peering through the lace curtains at everyone all week. And not taking the trash away for three weeks? Ewww! That would never work in the South. I guess it's too warm for that here. I live alone, and so I don't make much trash... but I always leave a bag at the curb for at least one of the two weekly trash pick-ups, even if it's only half full.

No income or sales taxes either one? I like that! Louisiana has both, and will be getting more due to a constitutional amendment that was just voted in (and which I feel certain that the average Louisianan did not fully understand due to the way the summary was worded).

On the other hand, we have very low property taxes due to our homestead exemption. The first 75K of a home's value is not taxed at all if the owner lives in it.

Our state legislators have a habit of tying unpopular measures to the funding of education, so that they will pass. We are constantly either 49th or 50th in the country in our K-12 public education, vying with Mississippi for the bottom of the heap. It's disgraceful. But, Louisiana is entering a new era and I would not be at all surprised if things improved here in the not so distant future.

Carole C