Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Richard C.Ped-Question for you on ankle/pf!

Posted by Rachael T. on 11/10/02 at 12:55 (099716)

Richard, I ask you this as when I read your answers, they seem to be so informative & helpful. But, of course I would welcome anyone's thoughts who can relate to this. I have waged the battle of PF since 4/2001, with much improvement to date - thru every possible care tactic, it seems. I now feel I am at a plateau with practically no heel pain, but--
I have soreness at ball of foot (under small toe, at the metatarsel) &
I have pain on the upper, top outer side of my foot....(kinda above by smaller toes progressing toward the outer side of my ankle - like someone stepped on my instep there quite hard!)
I also have 'an extreme pressure relief' when I 'POP' & I mean a loud crack! of my ankles when I twirl them to the outside...the
crack occurring when I stretch my toes upward & rotate to about 2-3 o'clock of the circle....Often I get little pops which occur
frequently, but they don't 'relieve the pressure' that a loud POP does....It seems like I can acquire the loudest pop & the
'best pressure' relief when I remove my night splint.....WHAT is it that is popping? OR from what is it that I am relieving
pressure? Yes, I wear orthotics....do they need changed somewhat to relieve this? or is this just a regular PF symptom?
And, yes, feet are hot & sweaty alot.
I also write that I am not totally comfy in my orthotics - but they are better than OTC ones. Please advise & I thank you much.
I amto visit my pod. tomorrow - I am hopeful that I hear from you so I can possibly have input for him as well.
Thank you so much for your help!

Re: Richard C.Ped-Question for you on ankle/pf!

Richard, C.Ped on 11/12/02 at 08:23 (099863)

Hi Rachael,
A couple of quick questions. When you feel the pop and relief, do you feel it behind the ankle? If so, is if medially or laterally? Or do you feel everything toward the little toe?
Richard, C.ped

Rachael T. on 11/12/02 at 10:58 (099878)

Thanks for your reply! I am unsure if I can answer your ? adequately now w/o actually 'popping' it & feeling it exactly again. I do think though, that it relieved the pressure in a couple of places - & the pop happened better & more efficiently for relief if my foot was flexed up as I twirled the ankle clockwise. But, today - there isn't too much movement or strain going on in my ankles as my pod injected them at my last night's appointment. (But, I believe it popped near 2o'clock position of the twirl; & then, pressure was relieved in the ankle overall - & it also felt like my outside of the foot was also relieved.) My pod also posted my orthotics - outside rim near metatarsels & outside rim of heel. He said that I was compensating & walking on a tendon/ligament & I had strained it & there was lots of inflammation going on - He also said that he thought my pf was majorly improved & that I needed to not compensate......I will try to walk correctly - but how do I obtain that. I hope that this info is helpful - I am sorry that I cannot answer any better - I am also hopeful though, that these injections & the outside orth. posts will be healing! I wonder.....is there a way that I can become more cautious about my gait....if so please advise. I also think that my healing is deterred by me aggravating my gait & my foot problems by walking in the sand/sawdust filled horse arena so much. Your thoughts? I await & I appreciate your input & help.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/12/02 at 08:23 (099863)

Hi Rachael,
A couple of quick questions. When you feel the pop and relief, do you feel it behind the ankle? If so, is if medially or laterally? Or do you feel everything toward the little toe?
Richard, C.ped

Rachael T. on 11/12/02 at 10:58 (099878)

Thanks for your reply! I am unsure if I can answer your ? adequately now w/o actually 'popping' it & feeling it exactly again. I do think though, that it relieved the pressure in a couple of places - & the pop happened better & more efficiently for relief if my foot was flexed up as I twirled the ankle clockwise. But, today - there isn't too much movement or strain going on in my ankles as my pod injected them at my last night's appointment. (But, I believe it popped near 2o'clock position of the twirl; & then, pressure was relieved in the ankle overall - & it also felt like my outside of the foot was also relieved.) My pod also posted my orthotics - outside rim near metatarsels & outside rim of heel. He said that I was compensating & walking on a tendon/ligament & I had strained it & there was lots of inflammation going on - He also said that he thought my pf was majorly improved & that I needed to not compensate......I will try to walk correctly - but how do I obtain that. I hope that this info is helpful - I am sorry that I cannot answer any better - I am also hopeful though, that these injections & the outside orth. posts will be healing! I wonder.....is there a way that I can become more cautious about my gait....if so please advise. I also think that my healing is deterred by me aggravating my gait & my foot problems by walking in the sand/sawdust filled horse arena so much. Your thoughts? I await & I appreciate your input & help.