Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Marshall Faulk has PF

Posted by john h on 11/10/02 at 16:40 (099731)

Marshall Faulk probably the best running back in the NFL had to go in the locker room before half time to have his foot taped. They said he had a bad case of PF. I am sure running the football in a NFL game is not going to help it tape or no tape.

Re: Marshall Faulk has PF

Carole C in NOLA on 11/10/02 at 16:51 (099733)

Can you imagine one of us trying to hobble down the football field on the sides of our feet (moaning 'ow! ow! ow!' as we go)? LOL One thing's for sure; this guy is TOUGH as nails.

Carole C

Leon S. on 11/10/02 at 17:17 (099734)

I wonder if he'd be interested in a bag of sand I have?
I broke down and bought a pair of birks this afternoon and am pleased to say that there is a noticeable difference. I got the regular loafers and walked out of the store wearing them without any of the various heel inserts I've been using. I'm very impressed. My question is: Does this comfort level provide a platform from which the foot can now gradually heal itself or does the trauma stay hidden away until I put on another pair of shoes that does not conceal the pain?

Carole C in NOLA on 11/10/02 at 19:41 (099743)

I am SO GLAD your Birkenstocks are helping you! Some of us find them to be very helpful all through PF.

If your feet are hurting less, they are healing more (in my opinion). At least, that's my best guess from how my feet healed. The thing is, it takes time and if you do something that hurts them, then you can have a set back and you can be back to where you were. I hope that makes sense!

If you can wear the Birkenstocks at least part of the day, it will probably help. But if you put them in the closet and wear your other shoes all day tomorrow, your feet will probably hurt again like they did.

Eventually they will heal to where they will be less and less likely to hurt for any given activity. I think you should try not to let them hurt very much and protect them as much as you can so that you don't re-injure them, and in time they will heal so that you can do more without pain. After they are completely healed, you can do just about anything without pain, but that takes a long time.

Carole C

Re: P.S., Breaking in Birkenstocks

Carole C in NOLA on 11/10/02 at 19:43 (099744)

P.S.

Don't forget to break in your Birkenstocks! Usually they say an hour or two the first day, and then add a half hour to hour each day for the first few days.

Carole C

Re: Leon and healing and Birks

Julie on 11/11/02 at 01:51 (099758)

One of the first things I learned here about PF was that it is an injury, and that anything that causes pain (an activity, an unsuitable choice of shoes) is exacerbating the injury. Conversely, whatever relieves the pain - suitable shoes, tape, orthotics - is helping the injury to heal.

You're new Birks aren't masking the pain, they're providing the right kind of support for your feet, and that will help them to heal.

I'm glad you've found them. But as Carole said, break them in gradually.

Until your feet are fully healed, they may well hurt if you wear your other shoes. That doesn't mean the Birks are concealing the pain, it means the other shoes aren't what your feet need right now.

Leon S on 11/11/02 at 07:19 (099762)

Now you tell me! They felt so comfortable this morning, I took my long missed walk to work which I haven't done since the beginning of August. My afflicted foot still feels okay but I now have 'new shoe blisters' on the other foot. By the way, has anyone taken the footbeds from the Birks and used them in other shoes?

Leon S on 11/11/02 at 07:22 (099763)

Gotcha. Thanks.

john h on 11/11/02 at 08:11 (099769)

Leon I do not know that if Birks allow for healing but there is a large group that are in significantly less pain after wearing birks for a while. I place Birks in the top 5 of things that have helped me deal with PF. It seems to me they are basically s shoe/sandal with a built in semi rigid orthotic

john h on 11/11/02 at 08:13 (099770)

Julie: I think you are very much on track that if what ever you do reduces your pain level then you are aiding in healing.

Re: Marshall Faulk

Kathy G on 11/11/02 at 09:32 (099778)

John,

It's interesting that he is still able to play with PF. I suspect that he gets a shot of cortisone and lidocaine prior to the game, don't you? The NFL is notorious for numbing injured areas prior to gametime. I guess they're not as bad as they used to be but according to a few of the former Patriots who were in NE last year for a reunion, they still send guys out to play with numbed areas. One of the former players said that in his day, which had been about 20 years ago, it was considered quite acceptable and that players played games with broked legs, ankles, etc. which led to much more severe, and sometimes, permanent injuries. He was especially happy that the league has set up a new criteria for letting guys go back in with a concussion. He said in his day, they asked you if you knew what day it was and if you answered, 'Sunday', you were allowed back in. Since most of the games are played on Sunday and no one wanted to be sidelined, everyone knew to answer, 'Sunday', even if they had no idea what day it was.

They'll probably do all they can to keep him playing; he's such an important and incredibly talented player. He'll probably spend the off-season stretching, icing and resting!

nancy s. on 11/11/02 at 12:30 (099794)

leon, in answer to your question, i have tried -- but unsuccessfully -- to use birk footbeds in other shoes. no other shoe on the market (that i can find) will take its outline shape. but don't let that stop you from trying! if you can find one, it might be great.

you must have birks from the tatami line, which i think is the only line with removable footbeds. yes? as others have posted to you and as julie in particular pointed out, if your feet feel better in birks, they are definitely not masking the pain. it means the birks are supporting your feet in ways that your feet need. that's fundamental. my feet *began* to feel as good as they're apparently going to get only when i started wearing birks. i give them about half the credit for getting me back on my feet to the extent that i am. i hope they help you at least as much, and it's sounding good so far.

i now have about 8 or 10 pairs of birks, some from the tatami line and some from the classic (the best for me are bostons). what style did you get? i'm sorry if you already said -- i can't stop typing and go back to check!

if the pair you have end up working out for you, you might consider getting a variety of styles (maybe not 8 or 10!). i and others have found that switching styles depending on the day or even just the time of day can help keep pain or further injury at bay.

nancy

Leon S. on 11/11/02 at 14:26 (099812)

Nancy, The pair that I bought is from the 'Footprints' line. At least that's what the box says. It's a plain black loafer and aside from the blisters on my other foot, felt very comfortable. I just tried transplanting the footbeds into a pair of Rockport Pro Walkers which also have a removeable insert and voila, it worked. You really own 10 pair?
Do you ever wear your pre birk shoes?

nancy s. on 11/11/02 at 14:39 (099816)

hi leon, i've always wondered about the footprints line and never tried it. i worry about the effect of enclosed shoes on the additional foot tendonitises i'm blessed with. but i'll be interested to hear what happens after the initial blister problem fades for you. wow, though, you immediately found another shoe to fit the footbed into! congrats. i hope that works out for you.

no, i never wear my pre-birk shoes. i used to try, but mostly they sat in my closet for a couple of years and were finally given or thrown away. i don't have them anymore. there was no hope of wearing them, which in most cases was for the best; my pre-birk shoes didn't have nearly enough, nor the right, support. of course, i had no idea at the time. they weren't high-heels or anything -- just not-good athletic shoes and 'ugggh' boots from australia. how i'd love to go back and make different decisions.

yah, i really do have 8 or 10 pairs of birks! i think it's closer to 8. it's been trial and error, and some i've given away. probably will still give a few more away. after the first one or two pairs that i bought in stores, i ordered from the german website, where they're about half-price and so the mistakes aren't quite as painful to the checking account.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 11/11/02 at 14:43 (099818)

Good grief, Nancy! I was embarrassed to admit that I have five pairs. You have topped that by a big margin. :)

Now that my feet are feeling better, I still wear them around the house although I don't really have to any more.

Carole C

nancy s. on 11/11/02 at 14:54 (099821)

anyone who doesn't really have to wear birks around the house anymore is in great shape, carole. lucky you, and congrats! not that i dislike my birks -- i love them -- i just wish i could wear hiking boots in my work life.

yah, as i was typing that '8 or 10 pairs,' i remembered robin b, who had a bad case of pf and posted on the board for a couple of years, starting well before i got here. her cure, which took her a while but was successful, involved a full year's rest off her feet, a low-carb diet, and birks birks birks. the last six months or so that she posted here, which were my first six months, her birks count went from something like 7 to 12. i was amazed. now i'm not so amazed!

let's see, if it took you ___ year(s) to end up with 5 pairs, and it took me three and a half years to end up with 8 or 10, who is more addicted to birks? (didn't you hate taking the SATs in school?)

robin's were ALL arizonas. she just kept buying every color that came on the market.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 11/11/02 at 14:56 (099822)

Leon, if you think that your 'Footprints' Birkenstocks are comfortable, just wait until you try some Birkenstocks with the 'Classic Footbed'! At least, those are the type with the orthotic footbed that so many of us find is so comfortable. Some styles with the 'classic footbed' are the Arizona, the Florida, and many more.

Some of the Rockports are really good shoes even though they don't have the orthotic footbed.

I now wear the same shoes every day as I did before PF, but I didn't try it until I felt I was essentially completely healed (about a year after getting PF) and I bought a new pair since my old pair was worn out. Of course, a lot depends on how good your shoes were before PF. My 'pre-PF' shoes were a good brand (SAS) but not the most supportive style. They were a tie-up shoe, but very soft and flexible leather with only about two holes on each side for the laces to go through. My feet needed more support during PF. While you are having PF symptoms, sometimes your feet need a lot more in a shoe than normally.

If I am feeling any PF symptoms, or have a lot of hard work or heavy lifting to do, I will sometimes put those shoes aside and go back to my PF shoes.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 11/11/02 at 15:11 (099825)

Wow! That's a lot of Arizonas. I have to admit that from time to time, I wish that I had got my Arizonas in nubuck instead of suede, but never enough to actually order another pair.

Yes, I'm really lucky and boy do I know it! I never thought my feet would heal this much.

I am sure that I would still be miserable if I had to stand all day on concrete at work, but thank goodness I have a desk job.

Carole C

Leon S. on 11/11/02 at 17:09 (099828)

Do all of the shoes fit the same for you? When I tried them on in the store, it took a while to find the right size and width. I'd be reluctant to buy a shoe online without having the ability to try them on. I was wondering how anyone can afford that many pairs without having to eat cat food for a year.

Leon S. on 11/11/02 at 17:17 (099829)

John, The shoe that I bought is a regular looking (well, somewhat) loafer that has a removable cork footbed which fortunately fit into a Rockport prowalker and made that a very doable switch while my break-in blisters heal. The light at the end of the tunnel suddenly got a little brighter.

Re: Birkenstock competition

Julie on 11/12/02 at 02:26 (099847)

I have six pairs of Birks on the go (all Arizonas, all different shades of brown ranging from the one they call taupe to almost-black). One is on my feet as we speak, two are in the corner waiting for me to call on them, which I do occasionally just to keep them from feeling neglected. One is in my locker in the studio where I teach, and one is in the bag of stuff (mat, blocks, etc) I take with me to workshops. The sixth is in Crete, in the bag of stuff that Alison, who owns the little hotel I stay in, kindly keeps there for me.

My first pair actually wore out and had to be thrown away (I know they're not supposed to, but this one did). So that makes seven. In...let's see...two years.

Ah - I forgot the horrible grey plastic ones I take to the pool. That's eight.

Seriously - Birkenstocks were certainly a major factor in my healing. At home, my feet are never out of them. But fortunately I can wear hiking shoes, my equally cherished North Face Targas, out and about.

john h on 11/12/02 at 12:49 (099888)

Julie: I have 5 pair of Birk sandals. 3 Airizona (suede and leather), two pair of sandals that look like the Airizona with a back strap and one pair of soft bed sandal with a back strap.

nancy s. on 11/12/02 at 16:16 (099919)

leon, not all birks fit me exactly the same, but it turns out i do take the same size no matter what style i buy, so far.

ok, i just counted, and i have eight pairs: three classic bostons (one soft-bed); one softbed monterey (i'm thinking of giving these away -- i need only one softbed because i can wear it only once every two weeks or so); two tatami coopers (i bought the second pair because they were on sale and about to become unavailable and i liked them); one tatami nebraska; and one other classic (zurich? can't remember). there actually were good reasons for buying most of them -- i mean, i didn't buy most of them for color, but for need in different situations. my feet need frequent changes in footwear, even though almost always birks.

i bought these over the course of three years, leon, so i didn't have to eat cat food. most of them cost $50 or less via the german birk site. so i spent a little over $100 a year on them. i don't foresee needing any more for decades, so that expense is now out of the annual budget. they've been well worth it, believe me, and i wasted far more money on other foot junk that i still plan to use for a sculpture someday.

have you considered the sandal styles, as carole suggested? i wear them all year long. have to. have you perused the german site? in case not, here's the url:

http://www.birkenstock-cn.com

nancy

nancy s. on 11/12/02 at 16:23 (099920)

that's a good point, julie, needing them in different places where you spend your life.

i keep two pairs in my shop, for when i have to walk through rain or snow to get there and my feet get wet. also keep a pair in my truck for the same reason.

another pair is used mostly for bedtime slippers and in the bathroom after showering.

another pair is always kept by the front door, so i can change out of my new balances after a beach walk Immediately (i can walk at a good pace in the new balance or brooks addiction, but can't stand still in them and can't sit with them hugging the soles of my feet, either). i do envy you being able to run around in athletic shoes all day! if i could reach that point, i'd be triple-happy.

nancy

Re: Birkenstock collections... :)

Carole C in NOLA on 11/12/02 at 19:17 (099960)

OK, as long as we are detailing our Birkenstock collections... I have five pairs. My cocoa nubuck Grenadas are a size smaller than the others since my feet fall between a 39 and a 40. So, due to the smaller size and the feminine design, the Grenadas are for parties or when I want to look nice. My whip stitched Amsterdam clogs are for winter.

And the three remaining pairs... taupe suede Arizonas, cocoa nubuck Floridas, and cocoa nubuck Fuldas, are for around the house and I rotate them. The Fuldas are my favorite Birkenstock and have the very high arch that fits best, so I try not to wear them too much because I might need them on a 'bad foot day' sometime. Besides, I don't need that much arch any more. The Floridas were my first Birkenstocks. I like their three strap design which provides more 'adjustability' than the two strap models, but they are looking pretty worn. Right now, I'm wearing the Arizonas around the house. They are my most unexciting Birkenstock. Their main attribute is that they are easy to slip on quickly in the dark.

I have some waterproof Nike sandals with thick soles that I use for shower shoes on and off, since I never was able to try on any waterproof Birkenstocks before I got better.

So, I have five pairs of Birkenstocks in one year. John, you have as many pairs as I do! But then you've had PF for many years. The rest of you have 'out-Birkenstocked' me. I doubt that I will ever buy any more, because it may take me fifty years to wear out these five pairs. Besides, in the summers before PF, I used to constantly wear a popular three-strap Clarks sandal that I'd like to try again some day, even though it doesn't have an orthotic footbed and probably is not great for PF.

You know, I bought a baker's dozen (13) pairs of shoes during the year when I had PF. That sure cost a lot (and then there were the custom orthotics, shower stool, and a whole drawer full of other PF stuff). I suppose my PF expenses amounted to around $1500 or so. Still, I probably saved a lot during PF also, due to all the misery which kept me off my feet. I didn't spend much on shopping, going out for entertainment, and doing a lot of other expensive and fun things that I would have done had I not had PF. At least, now that all's said and done, my bank account is not too badly dented from PF. Thank goodness I did not have to have ESWT, though.

Carole C

Re: Carole is the winner of the Birk competition!

Julie on 11/13/02 at 02:21 (099991)

John: 5 pairs in eight years
Nancy: 8 pairs in three years
Julie: 8 pairs in two years

The winner and champion is definitely ...

CAROLE! 5 pairs in ONE year!!

Congratulations, Carole. Long may you enjoy your Birks (and other footgear) in your healthy new feet.

Re: No, Julie is the true winner! And here's why. :)

Carole C in NOLA on 11/13/02 at 06:55 (099999)

Julie, you are the winner! You have 8 pairs of Birkenstocks, and when I pass the two year mark, I'll still only have 5 pairs! :)

I don't plan to buy any more and I even removed the shortcut to the birkenstockexpress.com site from my toolbar.

Carole C

pala on 11/13/02 at 09:38 (100009)

hey hey, don't old hippies get any points for buying first pair twenty years ago? i've lost count how many pairs i've had. a lot. unfortunately it was during a few year gap of not wearing them that i was stricken with pf. i had some crazy idea of joining the mainstream. big mistake.

Lynda S. on 11/13/02 at 10:01 (100011)

I just counted the Birks in my closet. I have ten pairs, though stick to wearing the same 3-4, most of them are Arizonas and Bostons. The only other pair of footwear I have are some hiking boots and sneakers. Last year I broke down and admitted I just could not wear my others shoes any more. It wasn't worth it. I gave about ten pairs to my sister who wears the same shoe size.

john h on 11/13/02 at 10:57 (100018)

Julie I did not count the two new pair I bought and gave away (Barb and someone else). They were clogs and a shoe type which I could not tollerate.

Julie on 11/13/02 at 11:09 (100019)

This is getting very complicated. I was about to post disclaiming winnerhood and insisting that you, Carole, are the true winner, because we're counting Birks-acquired-over-a-certain-time as of NOW, not looking ahead. But then Linda comes in with her ten pairs, John with his extra two, which he generously parted with for the good of others, and Paula who has had a pair for an impressive 20 years!

I guess we're all winners. Really. Because we've all been helped by these wonderful shoes. :)

nancy s. on 11/13/02 at 21:49 (100090)

wow, i forgot about that, paula. i bought my very first pair of birkenstocks around 1979 when they first became available in massachusetts. i loved them. my boyfriend hated them and thought i looked like a cossack in them (which i thought was a compliment, but he didn't). i wore them for years. too bad i didn't stick with them after that. too bad you didn't either. ah, well.
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 11/10/02 at 16:51 (099733)

Can you imagine one of us trying to hobble down the football field on the sides of our feet (moaning 'ow! ow! ow!' as we go)? LOL One thing's for sure; this guy is TOUGH as nails.

Carole C

Leon S. on 11/10/02 at 17:17 (099734)

I wonder if he'd be interested in a bag of sand I have?
I broke down and bought a pair of birks this afternoon and am pleased to say that there is a noticeable difference. I got the regular loafers and walked out of the store wearing them without any of the various heel inserts I've been using. I'm very impressed. My question is: Does this comfort level provide a platform from which the foot can now gradually heal itself or does the trauma stay hidden away until I put on another pair of shoes that does not conceal the pain?

Carole C in NOLA on 11/10/02 at 19:41 (099743)

I am SO GLAD your Birkenstocks are helping you! Some of us find them to be very helpful all through PF.

If your feet are hurting less, they are healing more (in my opinion). At least, that's my best guess from how my feet healed. The thing is, it takes time and if you do something that hurts them, then you can have a set back and you can be back to where you were. I hope that makes sense!

If you can wear the Birkenstocks at least part of the day, it will probably help. But if you put them in the closet and wear your other shoes all day tomorrow, your feet will probably hurt again like they did.

Eventually they will heal to where they will be less and less likely to hurt for any given activity. I think you should try not to let them hurt very much and protect them as much as you can so that you don't re-injure them, and in time they will heal so that you can do more without pain. After they are completely healed, you can do just about anything without pain, but that takes a long time.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 11/10/02 at 19:43 (099744)

P.S.

Don't forget to break in your Birkenstocks! Usually they say an hour or two the first day, and then add a half hour to hour each day for the first few days.

Carole C

Julie on 11/11/02 at 01:51 (099758)

One of the first things I learned here about PF was that it is an injury, and that anything that causes pain (an activity, an unsuitable choice of shoes) is exacerbating the injury. Conversely, whatever relieves the pain - suitable shoes, tape, orthotics - is helping the injury to heal.

You're new Birks aren't masking the pain, they're providing the right kind of support for your feet, and that will help them to heal.

I'm glad you've found them. But as Carole said, break them in gradually.

Until your feet are fully healed, they may well hurt if you wear your other shoes. That doesn't mean the Birks are concealing the pain, it means the other shoes aren't what your feet need right now.

Leon S on 11/11/02 at 07:19 (099762)

Now you tell me! They felt so comfortable this morning, I took my long missed walk to work which I haven't done since the beginning of August. My afflicted foot still feels okay but I now have 'new shoe blisters' on the other foot. By the way, has anyone taken the footbeds from the Birks and used them in other shoes?

Leon S on 11/11/02 at 07:22 (099763)

Gotcha. Thanks.

john h on 11/11/02 at 08:11 (099769)

Leon I do not know that if Birks allow for healing but there is a large group that are in significantly less pain after wearing birks for a while. I place Birks in the top 5 of things that have helped me deal with PF. It seems to me they are basically s shoe/sandal with a built in semi rigid orthotic

john h on 11/11/02 at 08:13 (099770)

Julie: I think you are very much on track that if what ever you do reduces your pain level then you are aiding in healing.

Re: Marshall Faulk

Kathy G on 11/11/02 at 09:32 (099778)

John,

It's interesting that he is still able to play with PF. I suspect that he gets a shot of cortisone and lidocaine prior to the game, don't you? The NFL is notorious for numbing injured areas prior to gametime. I guess they're not as bad as they used to be but according to a few of the former Patriots who were in NE last year for a reunion, they still send guys out to play with numbed areas. One of the former players said that in his day, which had been about 20 years ago, it was considered quite acceptable and that players played games with broked legs, ankles, etc. which led to much more severe, and sometimes, permanent injuries. He was especially happy that the league has set up a new criteria for letting guys go back in with a concussion. He said in his day, they asked you if you knew what day it was and if you answered, 'Sunday', you were allowed back in. Since most of the games are played on Sunday and no one wanted to be sidelined, everyone knew to answer, 'Sunday', even if they had no idea what day it was.

They'll probably do all they can to keep him playing; he's such an important and incredibly talented player. He'll probably spend the off-season stretching, icing and resting!

nancy s. on 11/11/02 at 12:30 (099794)

leon, in answer to your question, i have tried -- but unsuccessfully -- to use birk footbeds in other shoes. no other shoe on the market (that i can find) will take its outline shape. but don't let that stop you from trying! if you can find one, it might be great.

you must have birks from the tatami line, which i think is the only line with removable footbeds. yes? as others have posted to you and as julie in particular pointed out, if your feet feel better in birks, they are definitely not masking the pain. it means the birks are supporting your feet in ways that your feet need. that's fundamental. my feet *began* to feel as good as they're apparently going to get only when i started wearing birks. i give them about half the credit for getting me back on my feet to the extent that i am. i hope they help you at least as much, and it's sounding good so far.

i now have about 8 or 10 pairs of birks, some from the tatami line and some from the classic (the best for me are bostons). what style did you get? i'm sorry if you already said -- i can't stop typing and go back to check!

if the pair you have end up working out for you, you might consider getting a variety of styles (maybe not 8 or 10!). i and others have found that switching styles depending on the day or even just the time of day can help keep pain or further injury at bay.

nancy

Leon S. on 11/11/02 at 14:26 (099812)

Nancy, The pair that I bought is from the 'Footprints' line. At least that's what the box says. It's a plain black loafer and aside from the blisters on my other foot, felt very comfortable. I just tried transplanting the footbeds into a pair of Rockport Pro Walkers which also have a removeable insert and voila, it worked. You really own 10 pair?
Do you ever wear your pre birk shoes?

nancy s. on 11/11/02 at 14:39 (099816)

hi leon, i've always wondered about the footprints line and never tried it. i worry about the effect of enclosed shoes on the additional foot tendonitises i'm blessed with. but i'll be interested to hear what happens after the initial blister problem fades for you. wow, though, you immediately found another shoe to fit the footbed into! congrats. i hope that works out for you.

no, i never wear my pre-birk shoes. i used to try, but mostly they sat in my closet for a couple of years and were finally given or thrown away. i don't have them anymore. there was no hope of wearing them, which in most cases was for the best; my pre-birk shoes didn't have nearly enough, nor the right, support. of course, i had no idea at the time. they weren't high-heels or anything -- just not-good athletic shoes and 'ugggh' boots from australia. how i'd love to go back and make different decisions.

yah, i really do have 8 or 10 pairs of birks! i think it's closer to 8. it's been trial and error, and some i've given away. probably will still give a few more away. after the first one or two pairs that i bought in stores, i ordered from the german website, where they're about half-price and so the mistakes aren't quite as painful to the checking account.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 11/11/02 at 14:43 (099818)

Good grief, Nancy! I was embarrassed to admit that I have five pairs. You have topped that by a big margin. :)

Now that my feet are feeling better, I still wear them around the house although I don't really have to any more.

Carole C

nancy s. on 11/11/02 at 14:54 (099821)

anyone who doesn't really have to wear birks around the house anymore is in great shape, carole. lucky you, and congrats! not that i dislike my birks -- i love them -- i just wish i could wear hiking boots in my work life.

yah, as i was typing that '8 or 10 pairs,' i remembered robin b, who had a bad case of pf and posted on the board for a couple of years, starting well before i got here. her cure, which took her a while but was successful, involved a full year's rest off her feet, a low-carb diet, and birks birks birks. the last six months or so that she posted here, which were my first six months, her birks count went from something like 7 to 12. i was amazed. now i'm not so amazed!

let's see, if it took you ___ year(s) to end up with 5 pairs, and it took me three and a half years to end up with 8 or 10, who is more addicted to birks? (didn't you hate taking the SATs in school?)

robin's were ALL arizonas. she just kept buying every color that came on the market.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 11/11/02 at 14:56 (099822)

Leon, if you think that your 'Footprints' Birkenstocks are comfortable, just wait until you try some Birkenstocks with the 'Classic Footbed'! At least, those are the type with the orthotic footbed that so many of us find is so comfortable. Some styles with the 'classic footbed' are the Arizona, the Florida, and many more.

Some of the Rockports are really good shoes even though they don't have the orthotic footbed.

I now wear the same shoes every day as I did before PF, but I didn't try it until I felt I was essentially completely healed (about a year after getting PF) and I bought a new pair since my old pair was worn out. Of course, a lot depends on how good your shoes were before PF. My 'pre-PF' shoes were a good brand (SAS) but not the most supportive style. They were a tie-up shoe, but very soft and flexible leather with only about two holes on each side for the laces to go through. My feet needed more support during PF. While you are having PF symptoms, sometimes your feet need a lot more in a shoe than normally.

If I am feeling any PF symptoms, or have a lot of hard work or heavy lifting to do, I will sometimes put those shoes aside and go back to my PF shoes.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 11/11/02 at 15:11 (099825)

Wow! That's a lot of Arizonas. I have to admit that from time to time, I wish that I had got my Arizonas in nubuck instead of suede, but never enough to actually order another pair.

Yes, I'm really lucky and boy do I know it! I never thought my feet would heal this much.

I am sure that I would still be miserable if I had to stand all day on concrete at work, but thank goodness I have a desk job.

Carole C

Leon S. on 11/11/02 at 17:09 (099828)

Do all of the shoes fit the same for you? When I tried them on in the store, it took a while to find the right size and width. I'd be reluctant to buy a shoe online without having the ability to try them on. I was wondering how anyone can afford that many pairs without having to eat cat food for a year.

Leon S. on 11/11/02 at 17:17 (099829)

John, The shoe that I bought is a regular looking (well, somewhat) loafer that has a removable cork footbed which fortunately fit into a Rockport prowalker and made that a very doable switch while my break-in blisters heal. The light at the end of the tunnel suddenly got a little brighter.

Julie on 11/12/02 at 02:26 (099847)

I have six pairs of Birks on the go (all Arizonas, all different shades of brown ranging from the one they call taupe to almost-black). One is on my feet as we speak, two are in the corner waiting for me to call on them, which I do occasionally just to keep them from feeling neglected. One is in my locker in the studio where I teach, and one is in the bag of stuff (mat, blocks, etc) I take with me to workshops. The sixth is in Crete, in the bag of stuff that Alison, who owns the little hotel I stay in, kindly keeps there for me.

My first pair actually wore out and had to be thrown away (I know they're not supposed to, but this one did). So that makes seven. In...let's see...two years.

Ah - I forgot the horrible grey plastic ones I take to the pool. That's eight.

Seriously - Birkenstocks were certainly a major factor in my healing. At home, my feet are never out of them. But fortunately I can wear hiking shoes, my equally cherished North Face Targas, out and about.

john h on 11/12/02 at 12:49 (099888)

Julie: I have 5 pair of Birk sandals. 3 Airizona (suede and leather), two pair of sandals that look like the Airizona with a back strap and one pair of soft bed sandal with a back strap.

nancy s. on 11/12/02 at 16:16 (099919)

leon, not all birks fit me exactly the same, but it turns out i do take the same size no matter what style i buy, so far.

ok, i just counted, and i have eight pairs: three classic bostons (one soft-bed); one softbed monterey (i'm thinking of giving these away -- i need only one softbed because i can wear it only once every two weeks or so); two tatami coopers (i bought the second pair because they were on sale and about to become unavailable and i liked them); one tatami nebraska; and one other classic (zurich? can't remember). there actually were good reasons for buying most of them -- i mean, i didn't buy most of them for color, but for need in different situations. my feet need frequent changes in footwear, even though almost always birks.

i bought these over the course of three years, leon, so i didn't have to eat cat food. most of them cost $50 or less via the german birk site. so i spent a little over $100 a year on them. i don't foresee needing any more for decades, so that expense is now out of the annual budget. they've been well worth it, believe me, and i wasted far more money on other foot junk that i still plan to use for a sculpture someday.

have you considered the sandal styles, as carole suggested? i wear them all year long. have to. have you perused the german site? in case not, here's the url:

http://www.birkenstock-cn.com

nancy

nancy s. on 11/12/02 at 16:23 (099920)

that's a good point, julie, needing them in different places where you spend your life.

i keep two pairs in my shop, for when i have to walk through rain or snow to get there and my feet get wet. also keep a pair in my truck for the same reason.

another pair is used mostly for bedtime slippers and in the bathroom after showering.

another pair is always kept by the front door, so i can change out of my new balances after a beach walk Immediately (i can walk at a good pace in the new balance or brooks addiction, but can't stand still in them and can't sit with them hugging the soles of my feet, either). i do envy you being able to run around in athletic shoes all day! if i could reach that point, i'd be triple-happy.

nancy

Re: Birkenstock collections... :)

Carole C in NOLA on 11/12/02 at 19:17 (099960)

OK, as long as we are detailing our Birkenstock collections... I have five pairs. My cocoa nubuck Grenadas are a size smaller than the others since my feet fall between a 39 and a 40. So, due to the smaller size and the feminine design, the Grenadas are for parties or when I want to look nice. My whip stitched Amsterdam clogs are for winter.

And the three remaining pairs... taupe suede Arizonas, cocoa nubuck Floridas, and cocoa nubuck Fuldas, are for around the house and I rotate them. The Fuldas are my favorite Birkenstock and have the very high arch that fits best, so I try not to wear them too much because I might need them on a 'bad foot day' sometime. Besides, I don't need that much arch any more. The Floridas were my first Birkenstocks. I like their three strap design which provides more 'adjustability' than the two strap models, but they are looking pretty worn. Right now, I'm wearing the Arizonas around the house. They are my most unexciting Birkenstock. Their main attribute is that they are easy to slip on quickly in the dark.

I have some waterproof Nike sandals with thick soles that I use for shower shoes on and off, since I never was able to try on any waterproof Birkenstocks before I got better.

So, I have five pairs of Birkenstocks in one year. John, you have as many pairs as I do! But then you've had PF for many years. The rest of you have 'out-Birkenstocked' me. I doubt that I will ever buy any more, because it may take me fifty years to wear out these five pairs. Besides, in the summers before PF, I used to constantly wear a popular three-strap Clarks sandal that I'd like to try again some day, even though it doesn't have an orthotic footbed and probably is not great for PF.

You know, I bought a baker's dozen (13) pairs of shoes during the year when I had PF. That sure cost a lot (and then there were the custom orthotics, shower stool, and a whole drawer full of other PF stuff). I suppose my PF expenses amounted to around $1500 or so. Still, I probably saved a lot during PF also, due to all the misery which kept me off my feet. I didn't spend much on shopping, going out for entertainment, and doing a lot of other expensive and fun things that I would have done had I not had PF. At least, now that all's said and done, my bank account is not too badly dented from PF. Thank goodness I did not have to have ESWT, though.

Carole C

Julie on 11/13/02 at 02:21 (099991)

John: 5 pairs in eight years
Nancy: 8 pairs in three years
Julie: 8 pairs in two years

The winner and champion is definitely ...

CAROLE! 5 pairs in ONE year!!

Congratulations, Carole. Long may you enjoy your Birks (and other footgear) in your healthy new feet.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/13/02 at 06:55 (099999)

Julie, you are the winner! You have 8 pairs of Birkenstocks, and when I pass the two year mark, I'll still only have 5 pairs! :)

I don't plan to buy any more and I even removed the shortcut to the birkenstockexpress.com site from my toolbar.

Carole C

pala on 11/13/02 at 09:38 (100009)

hey hey, don't old hippies get any points for buying first pair twenty years ago? i've lost count how many pairs i've had. a lot. unfortunately it was during a few year gap of not wearing them that i was stricken with pf. i had some crazy idea of joining the mainstream. big mistake.

Lynda S. on 11/13/02 at 10:01 (100011)

I just counted the Birks in my closet. I have ten pairs, though stick to wearing the same 3-4, most of them are Arizonas and Bostons. The only other pair of footwear I have are some hiking boots and sneakers. Last year I broke down and admitted I just could not wear my others shoes any more. It wasn't worth it. I gave about ten pairs to my sister who wears the same shoe size.

john h on 11/13/02 at 10:57 (100018)

Julie I did not count the two new pair I bought and gave away (Barb and someone else). They were clogs and a shoe type which I could not tollerate.

Julie on 11/13/02 at 11:09 (100019)

This is getting very complicated. I was about to post disclaiming winnerhood and insisting that you, Carole, are the true winner, because we're counting Birks-acquired-over-a-certain-time as of NOW, not looking ahead. But then Linda comes in with her ten pairs, John with his extra two, which he generously parted with for the good of others, and Paula who has had a pair for an impressive 20 years!

I guess we're all winners. Really. Because we've all been helped by these wonderful shoes. :)

nancy s. on 11/13/02 at 21:49 (100090)

wow, i forgot about that, paula. i bought my very first pair of birkenstocks around 1979 when they first became available in massachusetts. i loved them. my boyfriend hated them and thought i looked like a cossack in them (which i thought was a compliment, but he didn't). i wore them for years. too bad i didn't stick with them after that. too bad you didn't either. ah, well.
nancy