Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

fascia release and heel spur removal

Posted by Mike P on 11/10/02 at 20:30 (099746)

Please expain to me if there is a difference between heel spur removal and fascia release and what is involved. It is kindly and certainly appreciated. From a PF sufferer of 14 months.

Re: fascia release and heel spur removal

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/12/02 at 08:28 (099866)

When the surgeon cuts the fascia at the attachment to the heel bone he will at the same time cut out the bone spur. This is a very painful , long drawn out procedure with many complications and risks. I would look into ESWT before any type of heel spur operation . If you would like additional information on ESWT and how it can solved your heel pain without surgery just e-mail Dr. Z at (email removed) Feel free to ask any questions

Barbara M. on 11/13/02 at 00:22 (099986)

I had a complete fascia deattachment and bone spur removal 17 days ago. I had progressed to the point where I had no choice but to have surgery. The surgery didn't take long, they did both feet at the same time and am on crutches and am able to get around moderately comfortably. It will be about another 3 weeks for the mold for orthotics and can return to work when they return. I wouldn't have had the surgery if not necessary, but am glad I did. i used to be a long distance runner and want to do that again...without surgery it wouldn't be possible. Surgery isn't for everyone..but neither is other treatments.

Dr. Z on 11/13/02 at 19:18 (100073)

Any reason beside cost that you didn't have ESWT instead of foot surgery?

Mike P on 11/15/02 at 23:06 (100340)

I would like to have ESWT when my insurance company pays for it! I need my doctor to write a letter along with a letter from myself the need for ESWT. Is there a medical procedure code that can be used? I have used every conservative treatment in the book...even a cortizone patch on the heel...Can an MRI show the point of inflammation and the condition of the fascia? Thanks so much Dr Z.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/12/02 at 08:28 (099866)

When the surgeon cuts the fascia at the attachment to the heel bone he will at the same time cut out the bone spur. This is a very painful , long drawn out procedure with many complications and risks. I would look into ESWT before any type of heel spur operation . If you would like additional information on ESWT and how it can solved your heel pain without surgery just e-mail Dr. Z at (email removed) Feel free to ask any questions

Barbara M. on 11/13/02 at 00:22 (099986)

I had a complete fascia deattachment and bone spur removal 17 days ago. I had progressed to the point where I had no choice but to have surgery. The surgery didn't take long, they did both feet at the same time and am on crutches and am able to get around moderately comfortably. It will be about another 3 weeks for the mold for orthotics and can return to work when they return. I wouldn't have had the surgery if not necessary, but am glad I did. i used to be a long distance runner and want to do that again...without surgery it wouldn't be possible. Surgery isn't for everyone..but neither is other treatments.

Dr. Z on 11/13/02 at 19:18 (100073)

Any reason beside cost that you didn't have ESWT instead of foot surgery?

Mike P on 11/15/02 at 23:06 (100340)

I would like to have ESWT when my insurance company pays for it! I need my doctor to write a letter along with a letter from myself the need for ESWT. Is there a medical procedure code that can be used? I have used every conservative treatment in the book...even a cortizone patch on the heel...Can an MRI show the point of inflammation and the condition of the fascia? Thanks so much Dr Z.