Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

sme4s

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 11/11/02 at 07:09 (099761)

According to the news, the sme4s in Tennessee and elsewhere last night were just awful!!! Suzanne, I know you are in Kentucky but if I recall correctly you are not too far from Tennessee, and I hope all is well in your area.

In the New Orleans area we had thunderstorms that awakened me early, but no known damage and our sme4 watch has been cancelled as the storms move on.

Carole C

Re: sme4s

Necee on 11/11/02 at 08:01 (099765)

And Carmen is in that region too, hope everyone is ok.

Necee

carmen h on 11/11/02 at 09:02 (099775)

Hello! I am fine......a few touched down not three exits from us. Killed three people....
I am SCARED to dae th of sme4s. Always have been. Have experience with them as a child...and it ruined me for life. So even high hard wind makes me anxious.
Boy you should have heard the winds and rain blowing Sat. night.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/11/02 at 09:45 (099782)

Carmen, I'm glad you are OK! Tornados are indeed very scary. I guess I had a 'brain cramp' in forgetting that you were there and not in Atlanta any more (oops! sorry). Take care. Those animals really need you; I'll bet a lot of them are wandering around looking for their owners, or even their homes, right now.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 11/11/02 at 09:54 (099783)

I was wrong... since my post, the local TV news found out that there was sme4 damage in Goodbee, Louisiana. That's on the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain (New Orleans is on the south shore). Nobody was hurt, but trees and power lines were knocked down and there was some damage.

All I know is that the thunder woke me up at 6:15 so I went to the TV and they were saying that the storms were all gone and there was no damage... but I heard rain and nearby thunder for the next half hour or more, so I wondered what world THEY were living in?

Carole C

Re: brain cramp

nancy s. on 11/11/02 at 13:56 (099803)

carole, thank you for 'brain cramp'! hope you're all ok down there.

nancy

Suzanne D on 11/11/02 at 13:59 (099804)

Thanks for thinking of me, Carole. Yes, there were sme4 warnings all around us and very high winds and hard, pelting rain yesterday evening, but nothing more serious here.

That was a relief for many here as yesterday afternoon we had our school's 'goodbye' celebration with over 500 people crowded in the gym and going up and down the hall to view old snapshots, posters, cheerleader and ball uniforms from the 40's and 50's, trophies, etc.

There was a power-point presentation in the gym with hundreds of old and new photos scanned which brought back memories for many. There were lots of senior citizens as well as younger people who so enjoyed it all. There was clapping every time they saw themselves in pictures. (The last high school graduating class was in '62, then it became k - 8, then 12 years ago, preschool - 5th.)

Of course there were funny things, too. One man came into my room and told me he graduated in 1955. Then he said, 'I don't even remember 1955!' Another lady came in saying, 'Oh, it's the new fancy building; I wanted to see the old one where I went to school!' (This one has been remodeled and had additions, but it's still the same old building.)

If the rains had come earlier, many of these people might not have been able to come.

Suzanne :-)

Kathy G on 11/12/02 at 14:05 (099897)

Suzanne, glad that rain held off and it sounds as though you all had fun.

I am terrified of sme4es! We very seldom have them here in NE but when we do, it sure scares us. Hurricaines we can deal with but sme4es are so erratic and unpredictable.

This last batch was so widespread and hit so many states. I pray for all those who were affected and I'm glad that you folks all escaped the brunt of it. Here in the northeast, we are getting the rains from the front today. It's still unseasonably mild, though. We set records for the coldest temperatures a couple of weeks ago, and now we're setting records for the mildest temperatures. Mother Nature is very confused!

Suzanne D on 11/13/02 at 11:53 (100029)

Yes, sme4es are so unpredictable, Kathy. I think that's part of the terror of them. When I was growing up, a sme4 came through our little county. A new bedford stone home was leveled while a lean-to shack across the road was still standing. I remember the irony of that.

My daddy used to tell of a sme4 that hit their farm when he was growing up. The feathers were plucked from the chickens and driven into tree trunks. That story always impressed me as a child - and still does!

Our weather has been unpredictable, too. We have gone from very mild to quite cool and back more than once already.

Suzsnne :-)

Re: brain cramp,

Tammie on 11/23/02 at 13:52 (101008)

Oh my gosh I just really love this term(Brain cramp) I have to use this with my teen daughter as this can really be a effective pharse! Wonderful thanks.

Necee on 11/11/02 at 08:01 (099765)

And Carmen is in that region too, hope everyone is ok.

Necee

carmen h on 11/11/02 at 09:02 (099775)

Hello! I am fine......a few touched down not three exits from us. Killed three people....
I am SCARED to dae th of sme4s. Always have been. Have experience with them as a child...and it ruined me for life. So even high hard wind makes me anxious.
Boy you should have heard the winds and rain blowing Sat. night.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/11/02 at 09:45 (099782)

Carmen, I'm glad you are OK! Tornados are indeed very scary. I guess I had a 'brain cramp' in forgetting that you were there and not in Atlanta any more (oops! sorry). Take care. Those animals really need you; I'll bet a lot of them are wandering around looking for their owners, or even their homes, right now.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 11/11/02 at 09:54 (099783)

I was wrong... since my post, the local TV news found out that there was sme4 damage in Goodbee, Louisiana. That's on the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain (New Orleans is on the south shore). Nobody was hurt, but trees and power lines were knocked down and there was some damage.

All I know is that the thunder woke me up at 6:15 so I went to the TV and they were saying that the storms were all gone and there was no damage... but I heard rain and nearby thunder for the next half hour or more, so I wondered what world THEY were living in?

Carole C

Re: brain cramp

nancy s. on 11/11/02 at 13:56 (099803)

carole, thank you for 'brain cramp'! hope you're all ok down there.

nancy

Suzanne D on 11/11/02 at 13:59 (099804)

Thanks for thinking of me, Carole. Yes, there were sme4 warnings all around us and very high winds and hard, pelting rain yesterday evening, but nothing more serious here.

That was a relief for many here as yesterday afternoon we had our school's 'goodbye' celebration with over 500 people crowded in the gym and going up and down the hall to view old snapshots, posters, cheerleader and ball uniforms from the 40's and 50's, trophies, etc.

There was a power-point presentation in the gym with hundreds of old and new photos scanned which brought back memories for many. There were lots of senior citizens as well as younger people who so enjoyed it all. There was clapping every time they saw themselves in pictures. (The last high school graduating class was in '62, then it became k - 8, then 12 years ago, preschool - 5th.)

Of course there were funny things, too. One man came into my room and told me he graduated in 1955. Then he said, 'I don't even remember 1955!' Another lady came in saying, 'Oh, it's the new fancy building; I wanted to see the old one where I went to school!' (This one has been remodeled and had additions, but it's still the same old building.)

If the rains had come earlier, many of these people might not have been able to come.

Suzanne :-)

Kathy G on 11/12/02 at 14:05 (099897)

Suzanne, glad that rain held off and it sounds as though you all had fun.

I am terrified of sme4es! We very seldom have them here in NE but when we do, it sure scares us. Hurricaines we can deal with but sme4es are so erratic and unpredictable.

This last batch was so widespread and hit so many states. I pray for all those who were affected and I'm glad that you folks all escaped the brunt of it. Here in the northeast, we are getting the rains from the front today. It's still unseasonably mild, though. We set records for the coldest temperatures a couple of weeks ago, and now we're setting records for the mildest temperatures. Mother Nature is very confused!

Suzanne D on 11/13/02 at 11:53 (100029)

Yes, sme4es are so unpredictable, Kathy. I think that's part of the terror of them. When I was growing up, a sme4 came through our little county. A new bedford stone home was leveled while a lean-to shack across the road was still standing. I remember the irony of that.

My daddy used to tell of a sme4 that hit their farm when he was growing up. The feathers were plucked from the chickens and driven into tree trunks. That story always impressed me as a child - and still does!

Our weather has been unpredictable, too. We have gone from very mild to quite cool and back more than once already.

Suzsnne :-)

Re: brain cramp,

Tammie on 11/23/02 at 13:52 (101008)

Oh my gosh I just really love this term(Brain cramp) I have to use this with my teen daughter as this can really be a effective pharse! Wonderful thanks.