Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

moon pies deluxe -- a review

Posted by nancy s. on 11/11/02 at 14:04 (099805)

i hope that was a meaningful subject heading, as scott instructs us to supply.

last week necee, bless her heart, was true to her word and sent me a moon pie -- no, not A moon pie, but two moon pies, and they weren't simple, ordinary moon pies but double-decker moon pies. she sent one chocolate flavored and one banana flavored.

i ate the chocolate one first. (surprise.) as necee said in her note, it was kind of dry, but that was refreshing compared to the few mushy whoopie pies i've tasted. the chocolate one was better than the banana one, which you couldn't be sure was banana unless you read the label.

i probably wouldn't order a case of moon pies, but they were a treat on a cold windy night in front of the tv with nothing else in the kitchen except mayo, mustard, and a few stales pieces of bread, plus some rotten broccoli we hadn't gotten to in time.

i'm now moon-pie educated! thanks again, necee.

nancy

Re: moon pies deluxe -- a review

Suzanne D on 11/11/02 at 14:09 (099807)

Glad you enjoyed the Moon Pie, Nancy! Some southerners might say that the experience would not be complete unless you drank an R.C. Cola (R.C. 'Colee' as the old men who sat around the country stores would say)along with it.

Myself, I would prefer a glass of milk!

Suzanne :-)

Suzanne D on 11/11/02 at 14:15 (099808)

Glad you liked the Moon Pie, Nancy!

Now some southerners might think that the experience was not complete unless you 'washed it down' with an R.C. Cola! Myself, I would prefer milk!

Re: I'm really not "nuts"!

Suzanne D on 11/11/02 at 14:24 (099811)

I tried to reply to Nancy's post above, and the message never would 'go'. I lost it, so I typed a similar one, and then BOTH messages came through.

It's the end of the school day, and I'm tired and hungry...Maybe I need a Moon Pie!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/11/02 at 14:27 (099813)

I've got to admit, that if it came to a choice between two double decker moon pies or else rotten brocolli and stale bread with mayo and mustard, I'd take the moon pies any time.

I'm glad you are at least partially moon-pie educated! I say partially because I don't know if you had the full 'moon pie experience' unless it was over 95 degrees in the shade. Also, it helps to have a cold bottle of soda to make sure the sugar overdose is up to snuff. If we keep working on you, we might get you to try another moon pie next summer. Stifling heat, dirt, mosquitos.... ah, the ambience! (grin)

Carole C

nancy s. on 11/11/02 at 14:28 (099814)

thanks, suzanne! hmm, no cola has appealed to me for a very long time (although the pronunciation you provided of the old men sitting around country stores does appeal to me). to be honest, given the late hour at which i feasted on the moon pies, i probably was having a glass of chardonnay. milk probably would have been better! should anyone ever send me a moon pie again, i'll remember your suggestion. cheers to you.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 11/11/02 at 14:36 (099815)

I can relate, Nancy, but moon pies and chardonnay? UGH! (shudder) Leave it to a northerner. :) (just kidding!)

When I was little, my parents often wouldn't let me drink colas. Well, actually they never would, but often at 'moon pie moments' they weren't there or didn't notice so I'd pretend the cola in my hand was an accident and just drink it fast. But sometimes they would be on the ball, so I used to eat moon pies with that awful orange soda that we used to have. Was it Orange Crush? I can't remember. Anyway, it goes pretty well with moon pies, and so does Dr. Pepper.

Moon pies and chardonnay is as inconsistent as caviar and Ovaltine.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 11/11/02 at 14:43 (099817)

...Or sitting around a pot-bellied stove (also stifling heat!) in the dead of winter in a little country store with a wood floor listening to the men in overalls 'swap stories'.

I'd better stop before I end up sounding like Granny Clampett!

nancy s. on 11/11/02 at 14:46 (099820)

carole, now you tell me! i'll find a way to eat a moon pie next summer when it's 95 in the shade AND 100% humidity, which most of the past summer felt like here. and i'll choke down a (small) bottle of sugar-glutted soda.

only when i'm fully moon-pie educated will i be completely satisfied. but i hate to think what threads i'll get tangled in here if i'm that sugar-loaded. y'all will have to be lenient and forgive me at that time, ok?

nancy

john h on 11/12/02 at 12:56 (099889)

moon pies and rc colas are best enjoyed on the porch of an old gas station in 90 degree weather on your way fishing. it is also a requirement the gas station sell worms and preferable on a dirt road. some people also might like a Nihi Orange Crush in place of the rc cola. True story: one day my buddy and I were on our way fishing and stopped at such a gast station and the good ole boy owner told me to go look in the old drum out front. I walked out there took off the top and a rattle snake about 7 feet long went crazy and scarred the h--- out of me. the good ole boy had a great laugh..

john h on 11/12/02 at 12:59 (099890)

Been there and done that Suzanne. My great uncle owned the only store in the little town of Marble, N.C. He had the stove and sold everthing there was to sell. Population around 200 or so.

Kathy G on 11/12/02 at 13:59 (099896)

John,

Some years ago, we were driving from Annaopolis to Williamsburg, Virginia and we were using back roads. My brother-in-law, who is a former air navigator, helped my husband to map out the most direct way to get there so we used no highways. My daughter, who was about 14 at the time, needed to use a restroom so we stopped at a small convenience store/gas station. We went in and they directed her to the restroom. When she came out, she had kind of a strange look on her face. When we got back into the car, she burst out laughing. It seems that they stored the nightcrawlers and assorted bait in the ladies' room! It's one of her favorite stories and she has never forgotten the name of the town: Frog Level, Virginia!

Bet they had moon pies and RC cola in that store!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/12/02 at 14:09 (099899)

John, I swear you and I lived parallel lives. I forgot about the dirt road! and you remembered the Orange Crush.

I never had a rattlesnake sprung on me, but then there are advantages to being female. :)

Carole C

Necee on 11/12/02 at 18:56 (099952)

Well, Nancy I warned you about those moon pies, if you REALLY want a taste of the south, you should try a good ol' southern pecan pie!!

Happy trails...

Necee

Re: pecan pie

Carole C in NOLA on 11/12/02 at 20:03 (099969)

Oh gosh, Necee, you would not BELIEVE the last piece of pecan pie that I had. It was last winter at a meeting we were hosting at the Ponchartrain Hotel, a glamorous old historic hotel on St. Charles Avenue in New Orleans.

It seems that pecan pie is the specialty for which that ritzy hotel is known the world over. Part of the meeting was a lavish dinner at the hotel served to our group, complete with pecan pie set in front of each of us.

I was on Weight Watchers, and had made all the right choices. Lots of salad. I had been a model Weight Watcher for weeks. But after staring at that piece of pecan pie for a half hour while we all conversed, and being unable to flag down a waiter to remove it, I finally broke down and ATE IT, very slowly. That was the pecan pie of a lifetime. I never need to have another piece... it was that good.

Well, almost never.... :)

Carole C

Necee on 11/13/02 at 00:38 (099988)

I can certainly understand what you're saying about temptation. Everytime I make up my mind to go on a diet, someone brings donuts to work!! Those are my weekness, and yesterday a coworker brought german chocolate pie, it was absolutely wonderful. Now, I did practice some restraint.....since I had a piece of that scrumptous pie, I only had yogurt and an apple for lunch. Which reminds me of a question my cousin once asked his wife....he had been on this diet and was really loosing a lot of weight, we were out eating supper one night and he said, 'honey, can I have dessert if I leave off my water?', now thats sacrifice!!

Happy trails....

Necee

Nancy N on 11/13/02 at 05:57 (099996)

Necee--

I've heard of german chocolate cake, but not german chocolate pie. What's the pie like?

john h on 11/13/02 at 11:19 (100024)

Nancy: like Campbell soup it is hmm hmm good!

Suzanne D on 11/13/02 at 11:49 (100028)

Oh, Carole, that makes me hungry just thinking about it! (And I just finished lunch - another Healthy Choice Meal. I've had one every day of school this year except for two days. That's 58 days now, but who's counting?!) :-)

I love pecan pie and also Derby Pie! Have you all had that? It has pecans AND chocolate in it, and I think it is delicious.

I'd better get busy or I'll eat some of the left-over Halloween candy I still have in the room!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/13/02 at 11:54 (100030)

Suzanne, that is so commendable that you've had a Healthy Choice meal every school day this year! I eat those and Lean Cuisine for dinner often but not every day. Have you tried the Healthy Choice French Bread Pepperoni Pizza? Perhaps it's not as well balanced as the rest of their meals, but it takes away the pizza cravings and it's only 6 weight watchers points.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 11/13/02 at 12:32 (100032)

Yes, I have tried the Pepperoni Pizza and think that it is good. I don't have it often, but it's a nice change. My favorite is the Chicken Piccata (hope I spelled that right; I've already thrown the box away today!)

I eat what my family eats at night but try to curb the after school cravings for a snack. And I've only had two Pepsis this school year which was hardest for me to give up. (I have had them now and then on weekends which probably isn't good, but it keeps me from feeling deprived. I just think during the school week, 'I can have one this weekend' or if I go out to eat, etc.)

Re: To Nancy N, Re: German Chocolate Pie

Necee on 11/13/02 at 13:11 (100041)

Yes, like John said....'it's humm humm good!'. It's a pie with a dark chocolate filling, and the top has a frosting on it just like the cake does, coconut, pecans, etc. It's absolutely scrumptous!!! If you like chocolate, you'd love this pie.

Happy trails....

Necee

nancy s. on 11/13/02 at 22:08 (100096)

ok, i accept, necee! when does my southern pecan pie arrive? heh heh. i promise to review it here, and you know i keep my word....

nancy

Necee on 11/13/02 at 23:08 (100101)

Ha! I had a feeling you might want a taste of that too Nancy, I promise you...it's much better than those pathetic moon pies! I'm going to be away for about a week, so when I get back I'll send you a surprise!!

Happy trails....

Necee

nancy s. on 11/14/02 at 14:35 (100158)

necee, thank you but no need to do it! you went above and beyond seeking out and sending the moon pies.

or perhaps some other northerner should volunteer to receive a pecan pie and thus the good cheer can be spread about.

hope you have a great week off.

nancy

Suzanne D on 11/11/02 at 14:09 (099807)

Glad you enjoyed the Moon Pie, Nancy! Some southerners might say that the experience would not be complete unless you drank an R.C. Cola (R.C. 'Colee' as the old men who sat around the country stores would say)along with it.

Myself, I would prefer a glass of milk!

Suzanne D on 11/11/02 at 14:15 (099808)

Glad you liked the Moon Pie, Nancy!

Now some southerners might think that the experience was not complete unless you 'washed it down' with an R.C. Cola! Myself, I would prefer milk!

Re: I'm really not "nuts"!

Suzanne D on 11/11/02 at 14:24 (099811)

I tried to reply to Nancy's post above, and the message never would 'go'. I lost it, so I typed a similar one, and then BOTH messages came through.

It's the end of the school day, and I'm tired and hungry...Maybe I need a Moon Pie!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/11/02 at 14:27 (099813)

I've got to admit, that if it came to a choice between two double decker moon pies or else rotten brocolli and stale bread with mayo and mustard, I'd take the moon pies any time.

I'm glad you are at least partially moon-pie educated! I say partially because I don't know if you had the full 'moon pie experience' unless it was over 95 degrees in the shade. Also, it helps to have a cold bottle of soda to make sure the sugar overdose is up to snuff. If we keep working on you, we might get you to try another moon pie next summer. Stifling heat, dirt, mosquitos.... ah, the ambience! (grin)

Carole C

nancy s. on 11/11/02 at 14:28 (099814)

thanks, suzanne! hmm, no cola has appealed to me for a very long time (although the pronunciation you provided of the old men sitting around country stores does appeal to me). to be honest, given the late hour at which i feasted on the moon pies, i probably was having a glass of chardonnay. milk probably would have been better! should anyone ever send me a moon pie again, i'll remember your suggestion. cheers to you.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 11/11/02 at 14:36 (099815)

I can relate, Nancy, but moon pies and chardonnay? UGH! (shudder) Leave it to a northerner. :) (just kidding!)

When I was little, my parents often wouldn't let me drink colas. Well, actually they never would, but often at 'moon pie moments' they weren't there or didn't notice so I'd pretend the cola in my hand was an accident and just drink it fast. But sometimes they would be on the ball, so I used to eat moon pies with that awful orange soda that we used to have. Was it Orange Crush? I can't remember. Anyway, it goes pretty well with moon pies, and so does Dr. Pepper.

Moon pies and chardonnay is as inconsistent as caviar and Ovaltine.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 11/11/02 at 14:43 (099817)

...Or sitting around a pot-bellied stove (also stifling heat!) in the dead of winter in a little country store with a wood floor listening to the men in overalls 'swap stories'.

I'd better stop before I end up sounding like Granny Clampett!

nancy s. on 11/11/02 at 14:46 (099820)

carole, now you tell me! i'll find a way to eat a moon pie next summer when it's 95 in the shade AND 100% humidity, which most of the past summer felt like here. and i'll choke down a (small) bottle of sugar-glutted soda.

only when i'm fully moon-pie educated will i be completely satisfied. but i hate to think what threads i'll get tangled in here if i'm that sugar-loaded. y'all will have to be lenient and forgive me at that time, ok?

nancy

john h on 11/12/02 at 12:56 (099889)

moon pies and rc colas are best enjoyed on the porch of an old gas station in 90 degree weather on your way fishing. it is also a requirement the gas station sell worms and preferable on a dirt road. some people also might like a Nihi Orange Crush in place of the rc cola. True story: one day my buddy and I were on our way fishing and stopped at such a gast station and the good ole boy owner told me to go look in the old drum out front. I walked out there took off the top and a rattle snake about 7 feet long went crazy and scarred the h--- out of me. the good ole boy had a great laugh..

john h on 11/12/02 at 12:59 (099890)

Been there and done that Suzanne. My great uncle owned the only store in the little town of Marble, N.C. He had the stove and sold everthing there was to sell. Population around 200 or so.

Kathy G on 11/12/02 at 13:59 (099896)

John,

Some years ago, we were driving from Annaopolis to Williamsburg, Virginia and we were using back roads. My brother-in-law, who is a former air navigator, helped my husband to map out the most direct way to get there so we used no highways. My daughter, who was about 14 at the time, needed to use a restroom so we stopped at a small convenience store/gas station. We went in and they directed her to the restroom. When she came out, she had kind of a strange look on her face. When we got back into the car, she burst out laughing. It seems that they stored the nightcrawlers and assorted bait in the ladies' room! It's one of her favorite stories and she has never forgotten the name of the town: Frog Level, Virginia!

Bet they had moon pies and RC cola in that store!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/12/02 at 14:09 (099899)

John, I swear you and I lived parallel lives. I forgot about the dirt road! and you remembered the Orange Crush.

I never had a rattlesnake sprung on me, but then there are advantages to being female. :)

Carole C

Necee on 11/12/02 at 18:56 (099952)

Well, Nancy I warned you about those moon pies, if you REALLY want a taste of the south, you should try a good ol' southern pecan pie!!

Happy trails...

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 11/12/02 at 20:03 (099969)

Oh gosh, Necee, you would not BELIEVE the last piece of pecan pie that I had. It was last winter at a meeting we were hosting at the Ponchartrain Hotel, a glamorous old historic hotel on St. Charles Avenue in New Orleans.

It seems that pecan pie is the specialty for which that ritzy hotel is known the world over. Part of the meeting was a lavish dinner at the hotel served to our group, complete with pecan pie set in front of each of us.

I was on Weight Watchers, and had made all the right choices. Lots of salad. I had been a model Weight Watcher for weeks. But after staring at that piece of pecan pie for a half hour while we all conversed, and being unable to flag down a waiter to remove it, I finally broke down and ATE IT, very slowly. That was the pecan pie of a lifetime. I never need to have another piece... it was that good.

Well, almost never.... :)

Carole C

Necee on 11/13/02 at 00:38 (099988)

I can certainly understand what you're saying about temptation. Everytime I make up my mind to go on a diet, someone brings donuts to work!! Those are my weekness, and yesterday a coworker brought german chocolate pie, it was absolutely wonderful. Now, I did practice some restraint.....since I had a piece of that scrumptous pie, I only had yogurt and an apple for lunch. Which reminds me of a question my cousin once asked his wife....he had been on this diet and was really loosing a lot of weight, we were out eating supper one night and he said, 'honey, can I have dessert if I leave off my water?', now thats sacrifice!!

Happy trails....

Necee

Nancy N on 11/13/02 at 05:57 (099996)

Necee--

I've heard of german chocolate cake, but not german chocolate pie. What's the pie like?

john h on 11/13/02 at 11:19 (100024)

Nancy: like Campbell soup it is hmm hmm good!

Suzanne D on 11/13/02 at 11:49 (100028)

Oh, Carole, that makes me hungry just thinking about it! (And I just finished lunch - another Healthy Choice Meal. I've had one every day of school this year except for two days. That's 58 days now, but who's counting?!) :-)

I love pecan pie and also Derby Pie! Have you all had that? It has pecans AND chocolate in it, and I think it is delicious.

I'd better get busy or I'll eat some of the left-over Halloween candy I still have in the room!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/13/02 at 11:54 (100030)

Suzanne, that is so commendable that you've had a Healthy Choice meal every school day this year! I eat those and Lean Cuisine for dinner often but not every day. Have you tried the Healthy Choice French Bread Pepperoni Pizza? Perhaps it's not as well balanced as the rest of their meals, but it takes away the pizza cravings and it's only 6 weight watchers points.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 11/13/02 at 12:32 (100032)

Yes, I have tried the Pepperoni Pizza and think that it is good. I don't have it often, but it's a nice change. My favorite is the Chicken Piccata (hope I spelled that right; I've already thrown the box away today!)

I eat what my family eats at night but try to curb the after school cravings for a snack. And I've only had two Pepsis this school year which was hardest for me to give up. (I have had them now and then on weekends which probably isn't good, but it keeps me from feeling deprived. I just think during the school week, 'I can have one this weekend' or if I go out to eat, etc.)

Re: To Nancy N, Re: German Chocolate Pie

Necee on 11/13/02 at 13:11 (100041)

Yes, like John said....'it's humm humm good!'. It's a pie with a dark chocolate filling, and the top has a frosting on it just like the cake does, coconut, pecans, etc. It's absolutely scrumptous!!! If you like chocolate, you'd love this pie.

Happy trails....

Necee

nancy s. on 11/13/02 at 22:08 (100096)

ok, i accept, necee! when does my southern pecan pie arrive? heh heh. i promise to review it here, and you know i keep my word....

nancy

Necee on 11/13/02 at 23:08 (100101)

Ha! I had a feeling you might want a taste of that too Nancy, I promise you...it's much better than those pathetic moon pies! I'm going to be away for about a week, so when I get back I'll send you a surprise!!

Happy trails....

Necee

nancy s. on 11/14/02 at 14:35 (100158)

necee, thank you but no need to do it! you went above and beyond seeking out and sending the moon pies.

or perhaps some other northerner should volunteer to receive a pecan pie and thus the good cheer can be spread about.

hope you have a great week off.

nancy