Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

failed eswt

Posted by Sharon F. on 11/12/02 at 06:15 (099849)

How soon after after eswt can one undergo P.F. release (open)? Sharon F.

Re: failed eswt

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/12/02 at 07:48 (099855)

I don't believe that there is a specific time frame. I have performed an minimial incision hee spur surgery after failed ESWT. The latency period was less then one month.

How many failed ESWT treatments have you had and how much time has passed from your last treatment?

Sharon F. on 11/12/02 at 10:11 (099875)

Thanks Dr. Z... I am 7 weeks post ESWT, first and probably only treatment. Both the podiatrist and I are dissatisfied with results so far.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/12/02 at 11:38 (099880)

This is still very early post ESWT. I have had and know of many patients that take twice as long to get relief. What is your treating podiatrist upset with ESWT. The ESWT takes time to work and there is no way around that . Yes there are patients that get better quick, then there are patients that slowly get better and then there are patients that won't see any pain relief for two to four monhts. Don't go for surgery yet

JudyS on 11/12/02 at 12:47 (099887)

Sharon - just a personal note here- it took me at least twelve weeks post-ESWT to realize significant improvement. That improvement was about 60% after the first treatment, and quite near 100%, if not 100%, at about 16-20 weeks after my second treatment. I think that keeping up my more traditional treatment methods post ESWT really supported the procedure's success also.

Sharon F. on 11/15/02 at 07:41 (100227)

When I visited the treating podiatrist post-eswt week 5, I indicated my pain level was still '7' on a 1-10 scale, and not any less than pre-eswt. He said that I was probably not going to be a candidate for a 2nd treatment, and to call him at week 12 and let him know how I feel. Right now, at wk. 8, I would call the pain a '5' when ambulating. He said he would not do a 2nd treatment until I was 6 months out from the 1st one, and I just don't know if I can live like this for year to see if 2 treatments will fix me.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/12/02 at 07:48 (099855)

I don't believe that there is a specific time frame. I have performed an minimial incision hee spur surgery after failed ESWT. The latency period was less then one month.

How many failed ESWT treatments have you had and how much time has passed from your last treatment?

Sharon F. on 11/12/02 at 10:11 (099875)

Thanks Dr. Z... I am 7 weeks post ESWT, first and probably only treatment. Both the podiatrist and I are dissatisfied with results so far.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/12/02 at 11:38 (099880)

This is still very early post ESWT. I have had and know of many patients that take twice as long to get relief. What is your treating podiatrist upset with ESWT. The ESWT takes time to work and there is no way around that . Yes there are patients that get better quick, then there are patients that slowly get better and then there are patients that won't see any pain relief for two to four monhts. Don't go for surgery yet

JudyS on 11/12/02 at 12:47 (099887)

Sharon - just a personal note here- it took me at least twelve weeks post-ESWT to realize significant improvement. That improvement was about 60% after the first treatment, and quite near 100%, if not 100%, at about 16-20 weeks after my second treatment. I think that keeping up my more traditional treatment methods post ESWT really supported the procedure's success also.

Sharon F. on 11/15/02 at 07:41 (100227)

When I visited the treating podiatrist post-eswt week 5, I indicated my pain level was still '7' on a 1-10 scale, and not any less than pre-eswt. He said that I was probably not going to be a candidate for a 2nd treatment, and to call him at week 12 and let him know how I feel. Right now, at wk. 8, I would call the pain a '5' when ambulating. He said he would not do a 2nd treatment until I was 6 months out from the 1st one, and I just don't know if I can live like this for year to see if 2 treatments will fix me.