Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Removable cast

Posted by Karen L. on 11/12/02 at 09:36 (099871)

Since February, I have gone through anti-inflammatories, 3 cortizone shots, orthotics, and a month's course of physical therapy, ultrasound and heat. I exercise three times a week at the gym and am very physically active, but the heel spur (on my left foot, probably the result of a broken right ankle four years ago) is still there. Although it is not terribly painful (I wear orthotics, and never wear flat shoes), it is still there and I am conscious of it. My podiatrist, who is very conservative about new treatments, has put me into a 'Body Armour' removable cast. It weighs a TON, particularly at a time when I am recuperating from some other minor surgery. I can still feel the heel spur pressing onto the cast, particularly if I am on my feet a lot. I am about 2 1/2 weeks into the 6 week period. Is all this worth it? Will it do any good? Is this heavy cast really necessary, particularly as I can still feel the heel spur? Right now, I am very depressed and resentful, focusing all my anger on this cast. Please give me advice from your own experience! Thanks.

Re: Removable cast

Sharon W on 11/12/02 at 09:43 (099873)

Karen,

I was 'immobilized' in a removable cast for 6 weeks, as a treatment for my foot/ankle problems. I really HATED it at first. But it did help more than any other treatment I had tried up to that point.

The BIG problem with wearing the cast (other than the weight and the inconvenience) was that it made my OTHER foot worse.

Sharon

pala on 11/12/02 at 12:35 (099884)

my physical therapist placed a piece of soft foam in an area of my cast so it would stop irritating in a specific place. maybe your doctor or physical therapist can fine tune it for you.

Joannie M on 11/12/02 at 14:28 (099906)

my pod is opposed to this treatment option, but i wonder if it woud help since it rests the foot while helping to heal.you're not from the boton area by chance, are you??? i'm looking for treatment options othe than my current p[od..........

R C on 11/14/02 at 20:53 (100181)

My gut feeling is that of it still hurts to walk in the cast, then it is not doing its job fully. If there is any way you can operate crutches for the rest of the period, I would recommend it. Putting your exercise regimen on hold for a while would help your foot to rest, as well as reduce the chances of other injury (e.g., from hobbling around).

Sharon W on 11/12/02 at 09:43 (099873)

Karen,

I was 'immobilized' in a removable cast for 6 weeks, as a treatment for my foot/ankle problems. I really HATED it at first. But it did help more than any other treatment I had tried up to that point.

The BIG problem with wearing the cast (other than the weight and the inconvenience) was that it made my OTHER foot worse.

Sharon

pala on 11/12/02 at 12:35 (099884)

my physical therapist placed a piece of soft foam in an area of my cast so it would stop irritating in a specific place. maybe your doctor or physical therapist can fine tune it for you.

Joannie M on 11/12/02 at 14:28 (099906)

my pod is opposed to this treatment option, but i wonder if it woud help since it rests the foot while helping to heal.you're not from the boton area by chance, are you??? i'm looking for treatment options othe than my current p[od..........

R C on 11/14/02 at 20:53 (100181)

My gut feeling is that of it still hurts to walk in the cast, then it is not doing its job fully. If there is any way you can operate crutches for the rest of the period, I would recommend it. Putting your exercise regimen on hold for a while would help your foot to rest, as well as reduce the chances of other injury (e.g., from hobbling around).