Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Update on Marshall Faulk

Posted by john h on 11/12/02 at 13:08 (099893)

Yesterday I posted Marshall had to leave the NFL game before half time to have his foot taped for PF. Today the paper reported he may not play next week because of a 'strained tendon' on the bottom of his foot. First time I ever heard of PF referred to as a strained tendon?

Re: Update on Marshall Faulk

Kathy G on 11/12/02 at 13:49 (099895)

That's okay, John. Last night, on ESPN's Countdown show, they said that he had a high ankle sprain! One of the commentators, I can't remember which one but he's a former football player, said that that particular injury could take a long, long time to heal. Bottom line is that he is 'doubtful' for Monday night's game.

I was wondering if they are refusing to use the term 'Plantar Fasciitis' because of the possible longterm implications? You know how the teams play games and seldom admit how seriously a player is hurt. But then again, so few people know about PF, most wouldn't realize how debilitating it could be. Well, of course, trainers and team physicians would probably know. Sorry, I'm rambling.

I don't know, but it's unfortunate that if he does, indeed, have PF, he doesn't go public with it because it might help to raise public awareness of the ailment.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/12/02 at 14:20 (099903)

John, maybe he has a bunch of tendonitis with his PF like I did. My doctor said that PF, tendonitis, bursitis, and more, tended to occur together more often than not as a sort of classic PF 'syndrome'.

If he does have a strained tendon along with his PF, the reporter (or his boss) may have figured that would be a clearer diagnosis to most people than Plantar Fasciitis. Plantar Fasciitis seems to elicit a universal 'HUH?' when it's mentioned to most people.

Carole C

Re: the high-ankle sprain was in the other foot

elliott on 11/12/02 at 15:10 (099911)

I think you guys need to spend more time reading the sports pages. :-) It's all in this link, including mention of other high-profile names with PF.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/don_banks/news/2002/11/11/week_10/

[]

elliott on 11/12/02 at 15:39 (099914)

Carole C, actually, PF does not automatically elicit the universal 'HUH?' anymore. Lot's of folk, not just Faulk, get PF these days. My wife just got it. She has friends who've had it. My neighbor across the street had it. Many of the runners I know, both co-workers and others, have had it. Seems like just about everybody has it or knows someone who does. You even get your own expensive toys (ESWT). PF is so commonplace that it is downright boring and unoriginal. I see no reason for the heelspurs crowd to continue with their charade thinking of themselves as a unique group misunderstood by the world at large and left to commiserate only with each other.

Nay, it is we TTS sufferers who are the standard bearers these days. Not only the public, but even many docs say 'HUH?' at its mention. They let us suffer unbearably in what they think is totally imagined pain. And while you guys have a whole load of treatments which may help or give you hope, we have mainly surgery, with unpredictable results. If the results are bad, it is our fault. I could go on. So the next time someone has PF, I say join the club, the very big club, that is. We with TTS are the ones with the exclusive membership.

:-) :-) :-) :-)

john h on 11/12/02 at 16:36 (099921)

Elliott: I wonder if Marshall knew what we know about PF if he would play through the pain? I will take a high ankle sprain in both feet anyday to PF. that sprain will be gone at the latest during the off season.

Kathy G on 11/12/02 at 17:30 (099931)

Elliott,

Much of what you say is true. When I was first having foot problems, many moons ago, my Pod said something about my having Plantar Faciitis. I said that I didn't think I had it and he said that Pods tend to use it as a catch-all phrase for anyone who has multiple symptoms, ie. tendonitis, etc.
Later on, when I did develop 'classic' PF, he said it was just something I'd added to my other conditions.

As to people knowing about PF, the people whom I've encountered who are familiar with it are all the atletic type. Some of the runners I know knew what it was. To further bear this out, my son who is a tennis pro at a country club developed PF a few months ago, at the age of 28. When he was seen icing his feet after being on court, a member asked if he had PF and when he said he did, she said that she, too, suffered from it. From there, he said it snowballed as members told each other that he had it. He said people were coming out of the wooodwork telling him of their experiences with it! These were all very active people who participated in regular physical exercise, whether it be through atletic games or regular workouts. So, I do think that a certain segment of the population is familiar with it but not the vast majority.

My son, as an avid reader of SI, was aware that Mark Maguire had it and he also mentioned a former member of the Red Sox who plays for someone else now who had it this year. Someone, I think Brian, posted about it this past spring.

As to TTS, until my doctor mentioned that he thought I might have it, I had never heard of it. It certainly has had no public exposure. And it is the reason that I was so upset about my burning heels and arches of late.

As to Marshall Faulk, when I sprained my ankle last year, the doctor said that it was a high sprain and it still hurts off and on now, a year later, despite the fact that I did all the rehab I was supposed to do. I have special sympathy for anybody who has a high ankle sprain and PF! It will be interesting to see how long he's out. This certainly gets into the area of how many athletes, either through self-imposed pressure or pressure from their teams, 'tough out' the pain, risking permanent damage to their bodies.

Re: Elliott, my post in answer to yours went up above.........

Kathy G on 11/12/02 at 17:33 (099933)

and while it's not that meaningful, I'd still like you to see it. I'm sure it was me, not the boards, who managed to post it in the wrong place.

Sorry!

nancy s. on 11/12/02 at 17:40 (099934)

hi kathy, that was john valentin of the red sox. very bad pf, in his right foot. he was a good player (3rd base) but barely appeared in the line-up or on the field in his last couple of years with boston.

i learned from someone on this board what happened to him this year -- was wondering, since i didn't see him playing with the sox -- he was traded to the ny mets. the few times i saw the mets on tv this year i didn't see valentin, but i hope it was just a fluke and that he's okay now. i don't know, though. for a couple of years there, he'd play several games with the red sox early in the season and then be put on the DL for the rest of the year. you can imagine how bad his pf must have been to disappear like that for so long.

nancy

Leon S. on 11/12/02 at 18:45 (099945)

Valentin subbed for the Mets at 1st, 3rd and SS. In the early part of the season he played 1st for Mo Vaughn and was pretty bad. He was apparantly out of position and it looked it. His best games were a short when Ordonez was hurt. Maybe Faulk would be the best MC for the PF telethon.

Chuck on 11/12/02 at 19:14 (099958)

If people thought that Faulk wasn't going to play the ratings would go down and advertising revenue would drop.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/12/02 at 19:53 (099965)

Elliott, it sounds like there's a PF 'cluster' in your area! Or maybe there's a TTS 'cluster' here in New Orleans.

I've met quite a few that know about TTS ('Oh, you know, that carpal tunnel thing that happens in the ankles') but I have not met many at all that know about PF. :)

Carole C

dave r on 11/13/02 at 14:23 (100047)

I see that 'shaq Oniel' has pf and has been out of the game for over a month.

john h on 11/14/02 at 10:01 (100132)

Yes and since Shaq's departure they have lost 4 in a row. They are just an ordinary team without Shaq.

R C on 11/14/02 at 20:47 (100180)

Professional golfer Vijay Singh also missed a week or two last season due to PF. I wonder how he got off so lightly, though?

Kathy G on 11/15/02 at 08:17 (100231)

Some people just seem to get over PF faster than others and I guess VJ was one of them. My son had sore feet, but nothing too terrible, for about a year. Then his heels started to hurt, especially in the morning, and he went to a POD immediately. He got inserts, started doing Julie's stretches, took Naprosyn and iced. Within a couple of weeks, he could see real results. He actually wore a hole in the inserts within a month. He got custom orthotics, which I haven't yet seen but are made from a kind of graphite, and his feet hardly ever hurt.

He never rested since he is a tennis pro and I have no idea why he bounced back so quickly. He's also an avid surfer and he also fishes every chance he gets. He didn't slow down much because of his feet but I know he did rest a little more than usual. Given his usual frenetic pace, I doubt his resting contributed much to his recovery. I do know that he doesn't go barefoot anymore and he stretches his feet before he gets up in the morning.

It's like anything else; everyone heals and responds differently to treatment. While his PF seems to have healed very quickly, he has a pinched nerve in his back and rotator cuff problems that are not responding to treatment at all so it's not like he has amazing recovery capabilities or something. Who knows?

Kathy G on 11/12/02 at 13:49 (099895)

That's okay, John. Last night, on ESPN's Countdown show, they said that he had a high ankle sprain! One of the commentators, I can't remember which one but he's a former football player, said that that particular injury could take a long, long time to heal. Bottom line is that he is 'doubtful' for Monday night's game.

I was wondering if they are refusing to use the term 'Plantar Fasciitis' because of the possible longterm implications? You know how the teams play games and seldom admit how seriously a player is hurt. But then again, so few people know about PF, most wouldn't realize how debilitating it could be. Well, of course, trainers and team physicians would probably know. Sorry, I'm rambling.

I don't know, but it's unfortunate that if he does, indeed, have PF, he doesn't go public with it because it might help to raise public awareness of the ailment.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/12/02 at 14:20 (099903)

John, maybe he has a bunch of tendonitis with his PF like I did. My doctor said that PF, tendonitis, bursitis, and more, tended to occur together more often than not as a sort of classic PF 'syndrome'.

If he does have a strained tendon along with his PF, the reporter (or his boss) may have figured that would be a clearer diagnosis to most people than Plantar Fasciitis. Plantar Fasciitis seems to elicit a universal 'HUH?' when it's mentioned to most people.

Carole C

elliott on 11/12/02 at 15:10 (099911)

I think you guys need to spend more time reading the sports pages. :-) It's all in this link, including mention of other high-profile names with PF.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/don_banks/news/2002/11/11/week_10/

[]

elliott on 11/12/02 at 15:39 (099914)

Carole C, actually, PF does not automatically elicit the universal 'HUH?' anymore. Lot's of folk, not just Faulk, get PF these days. My wife just got it. She has friends who've had it. My neighbor across the street had it. Many of the runners I know, both co-workers and others, have had it. Seems like just about everybody has it or knows someone who does. You even get your own expensive toys (ESWT). PF is so commonplace that it is downright boring and unoriginal. I see no reason for the heelspurs crowd to continue with their charade thinking of themselves as a unique group misunderstood by the world at large and left to commiserate only with each other.

Nay, it is we TTS sufferers who are the standard bearers these days. Not only the public, but even many docs say 'HUH?' at its mention. They let us suffer unbearably in what they think is totally imagined pain. And while you guys have a whole load of treatments which may help or give you hope, we have mainly surgery, with unpredictable results. If the results are bad, it is our fault. I could go on. So the next time someone has PF, I say join the club, the very big club, that is. We with TTS are the ones with the exclusive membership.

:-) :-) :-) :-)

john h on 11/12/02 at 16:36 (099921)

Elliott: I wonder if Marshall knew what we know about PF if he would play through the pain? I will take a high ankle sprain in both feet anyday to PF. that sprain will be gone at the latest during the off season.

Kathy G on 11/12/02 at 17:30 (099931)

Elliott,

Much of what you say is true. When I was first having foot problems, many moons ago, my Pod said something about my having Plantar Faciitis. I said that I didn't think I had it and he said that Pods tend to use it as a catch-all phrase for anyone who has multiple symptoms, ie. tendonitis, etc.
Later on, when I did develop 'classic' PF, he said it was just something I'd added to my other conditions.

As to people knowing about PF, the people whom I've encountered who are familiar with it are all the atletic type. Some of the runners I know knew what it was. To further bear this out, my son who is a tennis pro at a country club developed PF a few months ago, at the age of 28. When he was seen icing his feet after being on court, a member asked if he had PF and when he said he did, she said that she, too, suffered from it. From there, he said it snowballed as members told each other that he had it. He said people were coming out of the wooodwork telling him of their experiences with it! These were all very active people who participated in regular physical exercise, whether it be through atletic games or regular workouts. So, I do think that a certain segment of the population is familiar with it but not the vast majority.

My son, as an avid reader of SI, was aware that Mark Maguire had it and he also mentioned a former member of the Red Sox who plays for someone else now who had it this year. Someone, I think Brian, posted about it this past spring.

As to TTS, until my doctor mentioned that he thought I might have it, I had never heard of it. It certainly has had no public exposure. And it is the reason that I was so upset about my burning heels and arches of late.

As to Marshall Faulk, when I sprained my ankle last year, the doctor said that it was a high sprain and it still hurts off and on now, a year later, despite the fact that I did all the rehab I was supposed to do. I have special sympathy for anybody who has a high ankle sprain and PF! It will be interesting to see how long he's out. This certainly gets into the area of how many athletes, either through self-imposed pressure or pressure from their teams, 'tough out' the pain, risking permanent damage to their bodies.

Re: Elliott, my post in answer to yours went up above.........

Kathy G on 11/12/02 at 17:33 (099933)

and while it's not that meaningful, I'd still like you to see it. I'm sure it was me, not the boards, who managed to post it in the wrong place.

Sorry!

nancy s. on 11/12/02 at 17:40 (099934)

hi kathy, that was john valentin of the red sox. very bad pf, in his right foot. he was a good player (3rd base) but barely appeared in the line-up or on the field in his last couple of years with boston.

i learned from someone on this board what happened to him this year -- was wondering, since i didn't see him playing with the sox -- he was traded to the ny mets. the few times i saw the mets on tv this year i didn't see valentin, but i hope it was just a fluke and that he's okay now. i don't know, though. for a couple of years there, he'd play several games with the red sox early in the season and then be put on the DL for the rest of the year. you can imagine how bad his pf must have been to disappear like that for so long.

nancy

Leon S. on 11/12/02 at 18:45 (099945)

Valentin subbed for the Mets at 1st, 3rd and SS. In the early part of the season he played 1st for Mo Vaughn and was pretty bad. He was apparantly out of position and it looked it. His best games were a short when Ordonez was hurt. Maybe Faulk would be the best MC for the PF telethon.

Chuck on 11/12/02 at 19:14 (099958)

If people thought that Faulk wasn't going to play the ratings would go down and advertising revenue would drop.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/12/02 at 19:53 (099965)

Elliott, it sounds like there's a PF 'cluster' in your area! Or maybe there's a TTS 'cluster' here in New Orleans.

I've met quite a few that know about TTS ('Oh, you know, that carpal tunnel thing that happens in the ankles') but I have not met many at all that know about PF. :)

Carole C

dave r on 11/13/02 at 14:23 (100047)

I see that 'shaq Oniel' has pf and has been out of the game for over a month.

john h on 11/14/02 at 10:01 (100132)

Yes and since Shaq's departure they have lost 4 in a row. They are just an ordinary team without Shaq.

R C on 11/14/02 at 20:47 (100180)

Professional golfer Vijay Singh also missed a week or two last season due to PF. I wonder how he got off so lightly, though?

Kathy G on 11/15/02 at 08:17 (100231)

Some people just seem to get over PF faster than others and I guess VJ was one of them. My son had sore feet, but nothing too terrible, for about a year. Then his heels started to hurt, especially in the morning, and he went to a POD immediately. He got inserts, started doing Julie's stretches, took Naprosyn and iced. Within a couple of weeks, he could see real results. He actually wore a hole in the inserts within a month. He got custom orthotics, which I haven't yet seen but are made from a kind of graphite, and his feet hardly ever hurt.

He never rested since he is a tennis pro and I have no idea why he bounced back so quickly. He's also an avid surfer and he also fishes every chance he gets. He didn't slow down much because of his feet but I know he did rest a little more than usual. Given his usual frenetic pace, I doubt his resting contributed much to his recovery. I do know that he doesn't go barefoot anymore and he stretches his feet before he gets up in the morning.

It's like anything else; everyone heals and responds differently to treatment. While his PF seems to have healed very quickly, he has a pinched nerve in his back and rotator cuff problems that are not responding to treatment at all so it's not like he has amazing recovery capabilities or something. Who knows?