Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Difference between strassburg sock & night splint

Posted by Denise N. on 11/13/02 at 14:47 (100054)

What is the actual difference between the sock and a night splint?
Do you only wear the sock at night and if so how is this supposed to help?

Re: Difference between strassburg sock & night splint

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/13/02 at 17:42 (100068)

The Strassburg Sock is a night splint. Traditional night splints resemble the back 1/2 of a removable cast. It is usually a plastic type molded shell at the back of the lower leg and bottom of the foot, with a padding against the foot and leg (though there are many varieties). The foot is held in a neutral or slightly dorsiflexed position, to maintain a passive stretch, and prevent tightening of the muscles/tendons. The Strassburg Sock is basically an elastic stocking from the knees to the toes, with a strap at the end of the toes that is pulled back up the front of the leg and secured with Velcro. This pulls the foot and toes towards the knee. I have found this product extremely useful in my practice with a very high level of patient compliance and satisfaction. It is easy to use and easy to adjust and is used at bedtime or when resting. It's an excellent product that has my endorsement. (I have no financial interest in the company).

Re: Difference between strassburg sock & night splint

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/13/02 at 17:42 (100068)

The Strassburg Sock is a night splint. Traditional night splints resemble the back 1/2 of a removable cast. It is usually a plastic type molded shell at the back of the lower leg and bottom of the foot, with a padding against the foot and leg (though there are many varieties). The foot is held in a neutral or slightly dorsiflexed position, to maintain a passive stretch, and prevent tightening of the muscles/tendons. The Strassburg Sock is basically an elastic stocking from the knees to the toes, with a strap at the end of the toes that is pulled back up the front of the leg and secured with Velcro. This pulls the foot and toes towards the knee. I have found this product extremely useful in my practice with a very high level of patient compliance and satisfaction. It is easy to use and easy to adjust and is used at bedtime or when resting. It's an excellent product that has my endorsement. (I have no financial interest in the company).