Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery scheduled!

Posted by Kari B on 11/13/02 at 14:53 (100055)

Hi all,
Well, after waiting 3 weeks for authorization, I am on the schedule for surgery... I am scheduled for December 3rd. I will know more specifics when I go in for my next appt with my doc... Nov 27th is when I will do all my pre-op stuff. I was hoping for sooner but after living with this pain for 6 months now I'm just happy to be on the schedule. I dont know how so many of you have survived this pain for so long but I'm praying for everyone to have a comfortable, pain free Thanksgiving. Bless all of you for the support and guidance since I joined this board. I will keep you all posted as to how things go and what I find out from my doc on the 27th!! Take care!
Kari B

Re: surgery scheduled!

caryn z on 11/14/02 at 18:57 (100171)

heh Kari.

wow a 3 week wait, I'd roll over backwards for that! I've been waiting now since June 6 (bookig date) for shoulder surgery and am booked for Jan 28/03... I just had my 'confirmed diagnosis' on Oct 28 for my TTS and now have to wait to see ortho foot/ankle surgeon for surgical consult. I'm almost certain my surgery will be another 6 month wait minimum.

Good luck with your surgery in December. I'd like to know how it goes foryou so I know what to look forward to ha ha.:)

Take care of yourself until then.

Cheers Caryn

Kari B on 11/14/02 at 22:31 (100195)

Caryn,
Wow! And I thought my wait was bad. Actually the 3 weeks was just the wait time for workmans comp to authorize me having the surgery. Do you live in a really small town that only has 1 OR or is your Dr just that good? I couldn't imagine having to wait that long... it's been bad enough waiting as long as I have. I got nerve damage from a foot fracture in June and there is scar tissue built up around the nerve from it along with the piece of bone that is broke off floating around in there. Anyway, thanks for wishing me good luck, I'm doing alot of praying :) and I will definitely keep everyone posted here as to how things go. Hopefully it will be successful and I'll be able to give some hope to others here. Take care and good luck to you too!!
Kari

caryn z on 11/15/02 at 00:41 (100213)

Kari, hi again. My wait is due to our provincial health care system being very stupid! Early this year our wonderful doctors decided to take on the BCMedical Association and pulled 'job action' meaning no emergencies unless it was c-section due to child/mother could die or heart patients or terminal cancer patients. All other surgeries were to be considered elective so of course everyone got the big old bump. The anethetists (i think the spelling is way off here) sort of went on strike and would only perform real emergency surgery. We have a local hospital and 1 ortho surgeon but he does not do feet at all only shoulders and knees (so he did my shoulder surgery) and only has operating privileges one day a week. It's pitiful to think we pay $108CAD a month for family rate for medical coverage and they just keep cutting services. In order for me to get my real diagnosis last month after going around the block with the other doctors, it cost me each time I saw the DPM when the others are covered under our provincial medical care and they were unable to give me a confirmed diagnosis.

It doesn't seem to matter who is in power for government, our health minister for BC is one piece of work that's for sure. He's recently closed quite a few seniors extended care homes in the lower mainland (Vancouver area) and that is causing havoc for those people who really need the acute care. It's very sad to say the least.

Oh well enough *&^%$% for one night. Keep in touch with your surgery update so I know what I'll go through pain and all okay.

Cheers Caryn

MelanieE on 11/27/02 at 21:17 (101296)

Kari, my old computer was down and my new one installed so it took me awhile to come back. Wow, good luck on your surgery. My orthopedic surgeon was ready to operate but I wanted to get a second opinion, not because I doubted his skills but because he wasn't giving me any aftercare guidance and kept changing his story. I went to a sport podiatrist who operated successfully on my toe awhile back. He said he really wanted to avoid surgery if possible and wanted to try other treatments first. He said TTS surgery isn't always successful because of scar tissue again putting pressure on the nerve and said it is an absolute must not to put any weight on the foot for at least 10 days. He knew exactly what to touch to send me through the ceiling in pain. He injected cortisone into the nerve, taped the foot to restrict motion for 3 days and told me to come back in two weeks to measure for new orthodicts that would change the way I am now using my foot. I was in so much pain the next day, I was back on crutches and was the guest of honor at my own pity party. The following day, I felt pretty good. My heel started aching at the end of the day but so far that is it. I will go along with his plan. He says he has had pretty good success. As long as I dont hurt I dont care what the treatment is. It was strange though as I was mentally prepared to have surgery in the early part of December. Wishing you the best on your surgery. Happy Thanksgiving too to everyone. Melanie

cmyerly on 12/01/02 at 08:43 (101535)

So do you recommend surgery for tarsel tunnel? I am scheduled to have surgery December 5th? I had all those procedures you mentioned done to me also? How is your foot now?

cmyerly on 12/01/02 at 08:46 (101536)

Sorry, I just read that your surgery is scheduled for December 3rd. Good Luck. Like to hear how you make out. I am only 2 days behind you. Are you apprehensive about the surgery? I know I am.

Kari B on 12/01/02 at 10:59 (101544)

Hi
Yes, I am so nervous the last few days I can't sleep, but I'm also in a way looking forward to it as we know for sure there is tissue built up in there and compressing the nerve so I'm certainly hoping for at least a little bit of release with the surgery. Good luck to you on yours. I will be posting something to the board as soon as I can afterwards to let everyone know how it went. Hopefully before the 5th. Take care.
Kari

MelanieE on 12/01/02 at 18:41 (101566)

Hi, day one after the cortisone I was miserable with pain. The next day I felt pretty good and have all week. I just returned from a weekend in Laughlin, Nevada and after all the walking I did I am feeling ok. I have some aches and pains but I could live with it but who knows what tomorrow will bring. Melanie

caryn z on 11/14/02 at 18:57 (100171)

heh Kari.

wow a 3 week wait, I'd roll over backwards for that! I've been waiting now since June 6 (bookig date) for shoulder surgery and am booked for Jan 28/03... I just had my 'confirmed diagnosis' on Oct 28 for my TTS and now have to wait to see ortho foot/ankle surgeon for surgical consult. I'm almost certain my surgery will be another 6 month wait minimum.

Good luck with your surgery in December. I'd like to know how it goes foryou so I know what to look forward to ha ha.:)

Take care of yourself until then.

Cheers Caryn

Kari B on 11/14/02 at 22:31 (100195)

Caryn,
Wow! And I thought my wait was bad. Actually the 3 weeks was just the wait time for workmans comp to authorize me having the surgery. Do you live in a really small town that only has 1 OR or is your Dr just that good? I couldn't imagine having to wait that long... it's been bad enough waiting as long as I have. I got nerve damage from a foot fracture in June and there is scar tissue built up around the nerve from it along with the piece of bone that is broke off floating around in there. Anyway, thanks for wishing me good luck, I'm doing alot of praying :) and I will definitely keep everyone posted here as to how things go. Hopefully it will be successful and I'll be able to give some hope to others here. Take care and good luck to you too!!
Kari

caryn z on 11/15/02 at 00:41 (100213)

Kari, hi again. My wait is due to our provincial health care system being very stupid! Early this year our wonderful doctors decided to take on the BCMedical Association and pulled 'job action' meaning no emergencies unless it was c-section due to child/mother could die or heart patients or terminal cancer patients. All other surgeries were to be considered elective so of course everyone got the big old bump. The anethetists (i think the spelling is way off here) sort of went on strike and would only perform real emergency surgery. We have a local hospital and 1 ortho surgeon but he does not do feet at all only shoulders and knees (so he did my shoulder surgery) and only has operating privileges one day a week. It's pitiful to think we pay $108CAD a month for family rate for medical coverage and they just keep cutting services. In order for me to get my real diagnosis last month after going around the block with the other doctors, it cost me each time I saw the DPM when the others are covered under our provincial medical care and they were unable to give me a confirmed diagnosis.

It doesn't seem to matter who is in power for government, our health minister for BC is one piece of work that's for sure. He's recently closed quite a few seniors extended care homes in the lower mainland (Vancouver area) and that is causing havoc for those people who really need the acute care. It's very sad to say the least.

Oh well enough *&^%$% for one night. Keep in touch with your surgery update so I know what I'll go through pain and all okay.

Cheers Caryn

MelanieE on 11/27/02 at 21:17 (101296)

Kari, my old computer was down and my new one installed so it took me awhile to come back. Wow, good luck on your surgery. My orthopedic surgeon was ready to operate but I wanted to get a second opinion, not because I doubted his skills but because he wasn't giving me any aftercare guidance and kept changing his story. I went to a sport podiatrist who operated successfully on my toe awhile back. He said he really wanted to avoid surgery if possible and wanted to try other treatments first. He said TTS surgery isn't always successful because of scar tissue again putting pressure on the nerve and said it is an absolute must not to put any weight on the foot for at least 10 days. He knew exactly what to touch to send me through the ceiling in pain. He injected cortisone into the nerve, taped the foot to restrict motion for 3 days and told me to come back in two weeks to measure for new orthodicts that would change the way I am now using my foot. I was in so much pain the next day, I was back on crutches and was the guest of honor at my own pity party. The following day, I felt pretty good. My heel started aching at the end of the day but so far that is it. I will go along with his plan. He says he has had pretty good success. As long as I dont hurt I dont care what the treatment is. It was strange though as I was mentally prepared to have surgery in the early part of December. Wishing you the best on your surgery. Happy Thanksgiving too to everyone. Melanie

cmyerly on 12/01/02 at 08:43 (101535)

So do you recommend surgery for tarsel tunnel? I am scheduled to have surgery December 5th? I had all those procedures you mentioned done to me also? How is your foot now?

cmyerly on 12/01/02 at 08:46 (101536)

Sorry, I just read that your surgery is scheduled for December 3rd. Good Luck. Like to hear how you make out. I am only 2 days behind you. Are you apprehensive about the surgery? I know I am.

Kari B on 12/01/02 at 10:59 (101544)

Hi
Yes, I am so nervous the last few days I can't sleep, but I'm also in a way looking forward to it as we know for sure there is tissue built up in there and compressing the nerve so I'm certainly hoping for at least a little bit of release with the surgery. Good luck to you on yours. I will be posting something to the board as soon as I can afterwards to let everyone know how it went. Hopefully before the 5th. Take care.
Kari

MelanieE on 12/01/02 at 18:41 (101566)

Hi, day one after the cortisone I was miserable with pain. The next day I felt pretty good and have all week. I just returned from a weekend in Laughlin, Nevada and after all the walking I did I am feeling ok. I have some aches and pains but I could live with it but who knows what tomorrow will bring. Melanie