Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Any particular Birkenstock good for TTS & PF??

Posted by Des L. on 11/14/02 at 22:38 (100197)

Wendyn's FAQ mentions using Birkenstock sandals around the house. Does anyone know which particular style may be better than others for TTS & PF? I'd like to know anyone's good or bad experience with Birkenstocks/or others, or any other suggestions out there. Thank you. Des L.

Re: Any particular Birkenstock good for TTS & PF??

caryn z on 11/14/02 at 23:44 (100211)

Des, good question. I would like to know that myself. It seems that some styles are better than others. I'm still trying to find Dansko and the walking company website has not bothered to answer my email to see if there are dealers in Western Canada. Maybe I could become one, eh!

cheers again,
Caryn

Julie on 11/15/02 at 02:23 (100216)

Des, many of us have found the original Birkenstock, the Arizona sandal, very helpful. I'm one, and have been wearing them since I found this website two and a half years ago. Others have found other styles (there are different footbeds) better for them. It's really a question of trying them out for yourself.

Your best bet would be to find a store somewhere near you that carries a good stock of Birks and has knowledgeable staff. If you find a pair with a footbed that seems to be right for your feet, buy them and give them a good try at home, breaking them in slowly. Once you know they're really all right, you can order them on line from the German website,http//:www.birkenstock-cn.com whose prices are about half shop prices.

I hope this helps.

Re: Any particular Birkenstock good for TTS & PF?? PS

Julie on 11/15/02 at 02:25 (100217)

I meant that you can order further pairs on line. I wasn't suggesting that you should return the store-bought pair to the store.

sheila on 12/03/02 at 04:45 (101634)

A podiatrist had suggested that birkenstock sandals are not enough support for tarsal tunnel syndrome. He suggested athletic shoes.

S

wendyn on 12/03/02 at 07:21 (101639)

Sheila, this may or may not be true, but I have TTS and I live in Birks.

I've even had custom Birks made (for extra support)

sheila on 12/05/02 at 00:06 (101809)

Hi Wemdyn,

I asked the pod why he stated that. It is because, birkenstock sandals have no heel.

S

Des L. on 12/05/02 at 11:51 (101854)

Hi All, Thanks so much for the replies and information. A couple of weeks ago I bought the Arizona Birks and IMMEDIATELY felt a type of relief upon trying them on right in the store! I say a 'type' of relief because I still felt some pain but it was certainly much less than without them and somehow they were soothing to me and the pain was just a 'different kind of pain', if that makes sense. I have flat feet and the arches just made me feel better, as well as all those other lumps and bumps in there. I also have back pain and it seems to have helped that a little too.

Prior to this though I have been wearing Spenco 3/4' OTC arch supports in New Balance athletic shoes all the time and although these helped somewhat, mostly I still felt a lot of pain of all different sorts. And I'm even on neurontin.

Just yesterday I got my custom arch supports from the podiatrist. I felt a BIG difference between these and the Spenco OTC. The Pod wants me to wear them in the athletic shoes all the time around the house and out, but he thought the Birk Arizona's were GREAT for anytime I just need a change (around the house only) plus for keeping at my bedside.

I did notice today though that my right foot seems like it rolls to the outside a bit in the customs. I guess I have to call and see what to do. But I feel I'm making some progress toward healing and I'm VERY thankful for this website and for all the good information I've been reading.

Thanks again for the replies,

Des L.

Re: That sounds good, Des

Julie on 12/05/02 at 16:05 (101871)

I'm glad the Arizonas seem to be working for you so far.

Re your new orthotics: they have been made to correct overpronation (your foot rolling in too much), so it's natural that you should now feel your foot is rolling out. But do check with your podiatrist if you're concerned.

caryn z on 11/14/02 at 23:44 (100211)

Des, good question. I would like to know that myself. It seems that some styles are better than others. I'm still trying to find Dansko and the walking company website has not bothered to answer my email to see if there are dealers in Western Canada. Maybe I could become one, eh!

cheers again,
Caryn

Julie on 11/15/02 at 02:23 (100216)

Des, many of us have found the original Birkenstock, the Arizona sandal, very helpful. I'm one, and have been wearing them since I found this website two and a half years ago. Others have found other styles (there are different footbeds) better for them. It's really a question of trying them out for yourself.

Your best bet would be to find a store somewhere near you that carries a good stock of Birks and has knowledgeable staff. If you find a pair with a footbed that seems to be right for your feet, buy them and give them a good try at home, breaking them in slowly. Once you know they're really all right, you can order them on line from the German website,http//:www.birkenstock-cn.com whose prices are about half shop prices.

I hope this helps.

Re: Any particular Birkenstock good for TTS & PF?? PS

Julie on 11/15/02 at 02:25 (100217)

I meant that you can order further pairs on line. I wasn't suggesting that you should return the store-bought pair to the store.

sheila on 12/03/02 at 04:45 (101634)

A podiatrist had suggested that birkenstock sandals are not enough support for tarsal tunnel syndrome. He suggested athletic shoes.

S

wendyn on 12/03/02 at 07:21 (101639)

Sheila, this may or may not be true, but I have TTS and I live in Birks.

I've even had custom Birks made (for extra support)

sheila on 12/05/02 at 00:06 (101809)

Hi Wemdyn,

I asked the pod why he stated that. It is because, birkenstock sandals have no heel.

S

Des L. on 12/05/02 at 11:51 (101854)

Hi All, Thanks so much for the replies and information. A couple of weeks ago I bought the Arizona Birks and IMMEDIATELY felt a type of relief upon trying them on right in the store! I say a 'type' of relief because I still felt some pain but it was certainly much less than without them and somehow they were soothing to me and the pain was just a 'different kind of pain', if that makes sense. I have flat feet and the arches just made me feel better, as well as all those other lumps and bumps in there. I also have back pain and it seems to have helped that a little too.

Prior to this though I have been wearing Spenco 3/4' OTC arch supports in New Balance athletic shoes all the time and although these helped somewhat, mostly I still felt a lot of pain of all different sorts. And I'm even on neurontin.

Just yesterday I got my custom arch supports from the podiatrist. I felt a BIG difference between these and the Spenco OTC. The Pod wants me to wear them in the athletic shoes all the time around the house and out, but he thought the Birk Arizona's were GREAT for anytime I just need a change (around the house only) plus for keeping at my bedside.

I did notice today though that my right foot seems like it rolls to the outside a bit in the customs. I guess I have to call and see what to do. But I feel I'm making some progress toward healing and I'm VERY thankful for this website and for all the good information I've been reading.

Thanks again for the replies,

Des L.

Re: That sounds good, Des

Julie on 12/05/02 at 16:05 (101871)

I'm glad the Arizonas seem to be working for you so far.

Re your new orthotics: they have been made to correct overpronation (your foot rolling in too much), so it's natural that you should now feel your foot is rolling out. But do check with your podiatrist if you're concerned.