Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Laurie R - Vein Wrap Procedure

Posted by Henry C on 11/15/02 at 09:36 (100237)

Laurie,

I am the one who was talking to Elliott about the vein wrap operation. I had the operation on March 10, 2000 and it really did not help that much.

The operation was performed in Baltimore at Union Memorial Hospital by Dr. Lew Schon. The operation involved removing a vein from my leg and wrapping it around the injured nerve. The incision to remove the vein on my leg was only 7.5' long and it did not extend all the way up to my knee. As Elliott said, the vein wrap procedure offers a second chance for people with TTS releases. The main problem with TTS releases is that scar tissue can attach to the nerve. The vein wrap acts like an insulator providing protection from that scar tissue. In my case, it was not a cure all procedure.

If you or anyone else needs any more information about this type of operation, please don't hesitate to ask!

Henry C

Re: To Laurie R - Vein Wrap Procedure

Laurie R on 11/15/02 at 11:08 (100258)

Hi Herry , First off ,thank you so much for taking your time to reply ...YES , I would like to know as much as you can tell me about this. I am on Workers comp for my foot . I had surgery back in May . He did a PF release as well as a TT relase and he cleaned out my FHL tendon , I had tenosynovitis in ... He also removed a lump on my fascia .

I also have RSD in my right foot and ankle.I have had 10 SNB done for the RSD .. Which help but of course don't last long ...

My Pod had sent me to the Ortho doctor yesterday for a second opinion on the PT nerve problem. I have got a few injections for this nerve which the injections takes all the pain away .. This when the Ortho brough up the vein wrapping . He did not go to much into it .He did show me the vein he would use .... It was in my ankle ....

Can you tell me how long was your surgery ? Meaning how long did it take to do this type of surgery ? Also how long did it take you to recover? Also how was the post opp pain ?

You said you don't think it helped you at all?

I really appreciate your time...

Thank you again , Laurie R

Henry C on 11/18/02 at 08:08 (100548)

Laurie,

The vein wrap surgery lasted about 1.5 - 2 hours. I was in the hospital the day of the surgery and one additional day and the stitches were removed ten days later. I was home from work for three weeks. I did not think there was a lot of pain associated with the procedure. None more then with any other kind of release. I did have a lot of soreness on my leg where the vein had been removed. It was sore for a couple of months after the surgery.

Any other questions?

Henry C

Laurie R on 11/15/02 at 11:08 (100258)

Hi Herry , First off ,thank you so much for taking your time to reply ...YES , I would like to know as much as you can tell me about this. I am on Workers comp for my foot . I had surgery back in May . He did a PF release as well as a TT relase and he cleaned out my FHL tendon , I had tenosynovitis in ... He also removed a lump on my fascia .

I also have RSD in my right foot and ankle.I have had 10 SNB done for the RSD .. Which help but of course don't last long ...

My Pod had sent me to the Ortho doctor yesterday for a second opinion on the PT nerve problem. I have got a few injections for this nerve which the injections takes all the pain away .. This when the Ortho brough up the vein wrapping . He did not go to much into it .He did show me the vein he would use .... It was in my ankle ....

Can you tell me how long was your surgery ? Meaning how long did it take to do this type of surgery ? Also how long did it take you to recover? Also how was the post opp pain ?

You said you don't think it helped you at all?

I really appreciate your time...

Thank you again , Laurie R

Henry C on 11/18/02 at 08:08 (100548)

Laurie,

The vein wrap surgery lasted about 1.5 - 2 hours. I was in the hospital the day of the surgery and one additional day and the stitches were removed ten days later. I was home from work for three weeks. I did not think there was a lot of pain associated with the procedure. None more then with any other kind of release. I did have a lot of soreness on my leg where the vein had been removed. It was sore for a couple of months after the surgery.

Any other questions?

Henry C