Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Endoscopic PF surgery

Posted by Trudy on 11/15/02 at 10:58 (100250)

I just had surgery 2 days ago on my right foot.My toes still look pretty swollen even though I have been icing and proping my foot .Is this normal?My Dr. said I should only be getting up to go the bathroom (luckily I have a laptop so I can get on the computer)!

Re: Endoscopic PF surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/15/02 at 14:39 (100293)

Ok its over,

Rice. Rest, ice , compression and elevation is very important. Swelling and black and blue appearance is normal. Take one step at a time and becareful if you are using crutches. good luck

Trudy on 11/15/02 at 15:32 (100296)

I am using a walker but so far I am afraid to put any weight at all on my foot.I have used it a little bit just for balance.How soon should I actually take a step with this foot?I guess I need to keep my foot elevated about heart level for a week or so? I wonder if it would hurt to sew a little if my foot is elevated about hip level? It sure gets boring sitting around when you are not use to it! Thank you for the information!

BrianG on 11/17/02 at 20:05 (100526)

Hi Trudy,

I had the same procedure a few years ago. My Pod encouraged me to walk as soon as possible. I'm not sure that was the best advice, be we have to trust our doctors, don't we? I'd think you would be better off with ctutches, than a walker. With the crutches, you can put as much, or as little, pressure on your heel as you want to. After a short time, I was only using one crutch, on the side that was operated on. It seems much more convient than what your using.

Good luck
BrianG

PS: As long as your foot is elevated, and iced, sewing should be just as good as TV, the internet, etc. I used frozen bags of peas to ice my heels, they conform nicely.

Trudy on 11/18/02 at 10:09 (100558)

Thanks for the info! I always wonder what everyone else does who have had the same thing done.I wondered too if I might be better off with crutches.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/15/02 at 14:39 (100293)

Ok its over,

Rice. Rest, ice , compression and elevation is very important. Swelling and black and blue appearance is normal. Take one step at a time and becareful if you are using crutches. good luck

Trudy on 11/15/02 at 15:32 (100296)

I am using a walker but so far I am afraid to put any weight at all on my foot.I have used it a little bit just for balance.How soon should I actually take a step with this foot?I guess I need to keep my foot elevated about heart level for a week or so? I wonder if it would hurt to sew a little if my foot is elevated about hip level? It sure gets boring sitting around when you are not use to it! Thank you for the information!

BrianG on 11/17/02 at 20:05 (100526)

Hi Trudy,

I had the same procedure a few years ago. My Pod encouraged me to walk as soon as possible. I'm not sure that was the best advice, be we have to trust our doctors, don't we? I'd think you would be better off with ctutches, than a walker. With the crutches, you can put as much, or as little, pressure on your heel as you want to. After a short time, I was only using one crutch, on the side that was operated on. It seems much more convient than what your using.

Good luck
BrianG

PS: As long as your foot is elevated, and iced, sewing should be just as good as TV, the internet, etc. I used frozen bags of peas to ice my heels, they conform nicely.

Trudy on 11/18/02 at 10:09 (100558)

Thanks for the info! I always wonder what everyone else does who have had the same thing done.I wondered too if I might be better off with crutches.