Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Interesting information concerning making adjustments to Birkenstocks

Posted by Suzanne D on 11/16/02 at 16:02 (100432)

Today I spent some time looking on the Birkenstock Express site (Birkenstockexpress.com) and checking out the different exhangeable footbeds available. I e-mailed a question to them asking if a Tatami footbed could be placed in the Annapolis shoes I own (therefore having more arch support).

I got a prompt reply explaining that was not possible as the Tatami footbeds were wider and would make the leather bulge out on the sides of my shoes. The suggestion was made that it was possible to add arch support to my existing footbeds if I sent them to their repair department.

I then wrote back to ask if it would be possible to also add the 'soft footbed' padding which I have in my Arizona Birk sandals.

I thought someone might like to know this information, and so here is the reply I received:

Yes, you can send in the footbeds and not the entire shoe. This repair
procedure is called 'adding postings' to the footbed. What we have
are pieces of cork, called postings, that are formed into the shape of
the arch. We would need to send the postings to you and have you
place them in your footbed to make sure they are in the most
comfortable place for you. You would need to tape the postings down
to the footbed so when you send them to us, out repair personnel will
know exactly where to install them. This costs $15.

We can also add the soft padding to the footbed in our repair shop to
make it like the Arizonas that you own. This soft padding can go on
top of the postings but it may mute the height of the higher arch a
little bit. In addition, the soft padding is blue and so your footbed will now be blue. Adding the soft footbed padding costs $28. If you
would like a suede liner to be placed over the top of the blue soft
footbed, we can do that for $30. There would also be a shipping
charge of $7.50.

So, if you have a pair of Birks which don't work for you because the arch is too low, or if they are too hard for you, you might want to check into these postings or soft footbed padding that can be added.

I just wanted to pass along this information.

Suzanne :-)

Re: Interesting information concerning making adjustments to Birkenstocks

nancy s. on 11/16/02 at 17:59 (100438)

this is great info, suzanne, thank you for posting it.
n

Suzanne D on 11/16/02 at 19:19 (100446)

You're welcome, Nancy. I plan to have the removable footbeds posted and the padding added; then I'll let you all know how it turns out. I ordered the Annapolis shoes from the German site a year ago, so since I saved in that way, it's not quite as bad to pay more to have this done. And if it helps, it's worth it!

nancy s. on 11/16/02 at 17:59 (100438)

this is great info, suzanne, thank you for posting it.
n

Suzanne D on 11/16/02 at 19:19 (100446)

You're welcome, Nancy. I plan to have the removable footbeds posted and the padding added; then I'll let you all know how it turns out. I ordered the Annapolis shoes from the German site a year ago, so since I saved in that way, it's not quite as bad to pay more to have this done. And if it helps, it's worth it!