Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

question for Laurie

Posted by Ellen F. on 11/16/02 at 17:38 (100435)

Hi Laurie, i just wrote you a bit ago, but went back and read some of your posts, as i really wasn't sure what it was you were having done, etc. I just have a few questions. did the dr. say why you have TT again? do you think that they didn't get the nerve released the first time? Also can you describe for me the 'fascia' pain? Were you off your feet after the surgery for a certain amt. of time. I know the pod. that i was seeing said 3 weeks off your foot. I imagine you have been thru MRI probably before the surgery, although I guess from the reading MRI doesn't always show up the TT, but can show other abnormalities in the ankle, tunnel area. Have you had MRI since surgery, you mentioned scar tissue and nerve being 'bound' so i assume you did. It sounds so painful, esp. with the arch and toe pain. i really hope you can get some answers and help real soon.

Re: question for Laurie

Laurie R on 11/16/02 at 18:35 (100440)

Hi Ellen , Yes I had am MRI before my surgery and one just a few weeks ago .The thing with MRI's to me and this is just my opinion , I don't think they show everything . I mean I know they show bone and sofe tissue , but sometimes their is more to see ......

Yes it is very ,very painful , it feels like my foot is broken sometimes. Then I get the shooting nerve pains that make me jump . Well to answer your question , why I have TTS again , if I am right , it is due to the surgery ... This is why the PT nerve is bound down in scar tissue ....

I have been to three doctors so far for this.... The thing is when I get a block right in the PT nerve , the pain goes away , but only until the block wears off......

How are you doing ?

Thanks again , Laurie R

Ellen F. on 11/16/02 at 20:43 (100454)

Laurie, well i guess the shot wearing off is an indication that there is something wrong with the nerve. i had 1 set of shots, lasted 3 days.pod. said had TTS both feet, and then saw ortho. and he said only in right. 1st nerve conduction said both, 2nd said only right. right now i'm a bit baffled, maybe left was never TTS but some other problem, my calf over on left is always 'tight' and achy. Ortho. thinks i have some type of circulation problem. my pain is tolerable in right foot and i'm going to try maybe stockings that are suggested here, and go next week for orthodics. dr. said will take the pressure off the nerve involved. i hope it works. i also have trouble with arch and big toe, hurts to touch side of my foot even to get dressed and touch it, but dr. said is only 'mild' entrapment, but to me no indication of pain. it really stinks that you had to go thru the surgery and now are worse, what a nightmare for you that must be. it's hard to figure that you had TTS and still have it after surgery.( and you say is from the surgery), how miserable. are you able to get any relief at all? does anything help you? where are you from? did you see ortho or podiatrist, or do you see both?

Re: Laurie

wendyn on 11/17/02 at 09:07 (100468)

Sorry to hear that your foot is not better, and that your compensation rep is a jerk.

Is it the RSD that's out of control?

Re: Re:Ellen

Laurie R on 11/17/02 at 10:15 (100483)

HI Ellen , Yes I would sure give the new orthotics a try .... I wear them all the time for both of my feet.. So you are also having pain in your arch to your big toe ? Just like me . The thing with me and has always been with me is, I have so much going on , not just one or two things. It is kind of funny , when I meet a new doctor and they ask me what is going on , you should see their faces??? Then When I tell them I also have RSD , that is when they really just look at me .....

Thank goodness I now have a nurse that goes to all my appointments. At first I was a little bothered by it , but now , it is better for me. If I forget anything , all I have to do it ask her. WC pays for her and so far she has been doing her job .....

You asked if I am able to get any relief at all? Yes I take meds , they don't take the pain away ,but do help .... I also use heating pads , lidocain patches , when my RSD is not to bad... Walking cast if I go out ... I am from No CA .... I have a Pod who is my primary treating doctor . Then I also see a PM MD , who manages my pain meds...... I also have seen an Ortho doc a few times..

I hope you have a great day .So do you think you have TTS in both ankles or just one ? I know you said that one doctor says one and the other says both ...

My very best to you , Laurie R

Re: Wendyn

Laurie R on 11/17/02 at 10:21 (100488)

Hi Wendy , How are you doing? This has been very nice being back on the board... Yes you got it right , this adjuster I have for Comp is a real JERK ~!!!!! This guy does anything and everything to be mean to anyone that has anything to do with my case. I feel like calling him and letting him know I did not ask for this...... I just told the Comp doctor that I saw on Friday , if this adjuster could only feel my pain for just one day , he would sure change his sucky attitude......

No my RSD is not out of control like it has been in the past.... It is flared up due to all the added stress... My PM doc wants me to hold off as long as I can till the next SN block . I have already had 10 . Of course if the RSD gets real bad he will do it . I had my last block on Oct 3 nd...

How are you doing ?? Laurie R

Re: hope its ok to jump in here

Kari B on 11/17/02 at 12:25 (100507)

Hi Laurie,
Do you have to deal with your adjuster often? I don't talk to mine at all anymore since I hired my attorney. It seems she gets alot further with WC than I ever could. Anyway, I was wanting to ask you about the nurse... is she just for your appts or does she help you out at home too? I was thinking about seeing if I could get a part-time nurse to help out after I have surgery, mainly because my hubby is in the army and has a hard time getting time off of work right now due to all the turmoil here in the U.S. and I don't have any family close by that could help out either. My stepmom may come stay for about 2 days but she can't stay any longer. Other than that, all my siblings have their own lives and jobs and are unable to come here. I'm just not sure how to approach that with WC. I guess I should call my attorney on Monday and see if she can suggest anything. Also, I need to try to get a wheel chair if its possible but I don't know if they will cover that either. I absolutely hate crutches and they are hard on my back. I had major back surgery about 3 1/2 yrs ago and I still have my good and bad days with it but had alot more bad days while using the crutches after I first broke my foot.
Well, I sure wish they could find a good Dr who isn't afraid of dealing with your feet, in my opinion, I don't think it's right for a Dr to just give up because they think its too complicated and if they aren't confident in thier ability to treat you, then I feel they should at least help to find a Dr who can or is more knowledgable in RSD, tts, and any other probs you are facing. I hope you have a relaxing, peaceful Sunday... and hopefully get some relief from your pain!!!
Kari

Laurie R on 11/17/02 at 14:04 (100512)

Ho Kari , Of course you can jump in here. I love to get everyone opinions ... I really do , the more the better. I used to come to this board everyday and read and post and try ot help . Then I had my surgery and I had to focus on getting better........ But I am back and I want to also help anyone that may need my help .....

OK let me try to answer your question about my nurse . No she does not help me at home at all . She is paid by workers comp to manage my case as I am a difficult one. The good thing is , my attorney hand picked her out for me . My attorney knows me well , and knows all the problems I have had . At first I was not to sure about my nurse. I thought she only worked for comp . Then at my first appointment with her , it was at my Pod office. She comes in 20 to 30 minutes late . Then she asked my Pod when he thought I would be better .. Well he did not like that question at all . My Pod has always been on my side . He has called comp to try to get things approved for me . He has bent over back wards for me ....

So it took a while for my Pod and myself to get to know my nurse. I called my attorney and told her I did not want my nurse coming to anymore of my appointments . Then my attoreny explained to me that she was there to help me . And also I found out that my attorney and my nurse are friends. Now if my attorney would of told me this from the start then everything would of beeen ok .

Now after my surgery I did have home health care. But only because I had a epidural catheter implanted in my spine. The nurse would come and clean it and check to make sure I did not have an any signs of infection ..... I was suppose to keep the epidural in for 6 weeks post opp , but as I said it broke and had to be removed just after one and half weeks..... After it was removed then the home health care stoped.....

It would not hurt to ask your attorney if you could get home health care. I think it all depends on the type of surgery you are going to be having . Now if it was just my foot and ankle surgery ,then I would not of had home health care.....

Each insurance company covers different things... Let me know when you ask your attorney .

No I can't call my adjuster anymore. I did one time to get my much needed meds approved and he did approve them , but he told me never to call him again ... He said since I had an attorney I had to have her call...... He is one evil man ...

I think I may of said something wrong , my doctors have not given up on me , it is just that I am such a difficult case. I just had surgery 6 months ago and they don't want me to have another one so soon after. Which I agree.... See my surgery did help my foot , it helped with the tendon and the PF ... It is just now I have the PT nerve thing going on ....

It has been a very long road , but I won't give up . NEVER , I will always keep the faith and try to find an answer ....

I hope you also having a wonderful Sunday ....

Talk to you soon , Laurie R

wendyn on 11/17/02 at 17:27 (100517)

I am not so bad Laurie, thanks for asking!!

My feet are better some days than others. I really have reached a plateau in the last 6 months, and I'm suspecting that they're as good as they're going to get.

Keeping busy though, and keeping my mind off my feet and the things I can't do.

How did your move go?

Donna on 11/18/02 at 00:22 (100539)

I would really like to know where all your pain is after the 1st surgery? I had my surgery the first week of Sept. I cannot walk on my heel to painful, and my ankle is still hurting. I also had a nerve release for the top of my foot done, that's not to bad just painful on the bone that sticks up on top of my foot.

Re: question for Donna

Laurie R on 11/18/02 at 17:02 (100592)

HI Donna , Ok I have only had just one surgery on my foot .... It was on May 7 th . Now you have to understand , I also have RSD ,which is very painful and it is all over my whole foot and ankle .... My nerve pain is in my arch and my inner ankle , and it goes to my big toe...... Then I get shooting pains that make me jump . I also have numbbing in my foot .... Then my whole foot will throb ...... Does any of this sound like what you have ? After my surgery , I was 6 weeks no weight bearring at all ......

Laurie R

Donna on 11/18/02 at 18:58 (100602)

It does make total since. They have come up with something new and I was weight bearring the next day, using a walker for support. This was news to all the podiatrists up here. I just wanted to check out all the information that I can. I still cannot walk normal and after 2 1/2 years its getting a little frustrating.

Laurie R on 11/16/02 at 18:35 (100440)

Hi Ellen , Yes I had am MRI before my surgery and one just a few weeks ago .The thing with MRI's to me and this is just my opinion , I don't think they show everything . I mean I know they show bone and sofe tissue , but sometimes their is more to see ......

Yes it is very ,very painful , it feels like my foot is broken sometimes. Then I get the shooting nerve pains that make me jump . Well to answer your question , why I have TTS again , if I am right , it is due to the surgery ... This is why the PT nerve is bound down in scar tissue ....

I have been to three doctors so far for this.... The thing is when I get a block right in the PT nerve , the pain goes away , but only until the block wears off......

How are you doing ?

Thanks again , Laurie R

Ellen F. on 11/16/02 at 20:43 (100454)

Laurie, well i guess the shot wearing off is an indication that there is something wrong with the nerve. i had 1 set of shots, lasted 3 days.pod. said had TTS both feet, and then saw ortho. and he said only in right. 1st nerve conduction said both, 2nd said only right. right now i'm a bit baffled, maybe left was never TTS but some other problem, my calf over on left is always 'tight' and achy. Ortho. thinks i have some type of circulation problem. my pain is tolerable in right foot and i'm going to try maybe stockings that are suggested here, and go next week for orthodics. dr. said will take the pressure off the nerve involved. i hope it works. i also have trouble with arch and big toe, hurts to touch side of my foot even to get dressed and touch it, but dr. said is only 'mild' entrapment, but to me no indication of pain. it really stinks that you had to go thru the surgery and now are worse, what a nightmare for you that must be. it's hard to figure that you had TTS and still have it after surgery.( and you say is from the surgery), how miserable. are you able to get any relief at all? does anything help you? where are you from? did you see ortho or podiatrist, or do you see both?

wendyn on 11/17/02 at 09:07 (100468)

Sorry to hear that your foot is not better, and that your compensation rep is a jerk.

Is it the RSD that's out of control?

Re: Re:Ellen

Laurie R on 11/17/02 at 10:15 (100483)

HI Ellen , Yes I would sure give the new orthotics a try .... I wear them all the time for both of my feet.. So you are also having pain in your arch to your big toe ? Just like me . The thing with me and has always been with me is, I have so much going on , not just one or two things. It is kind of funny , when I meet a new doctor and they ask me what is going on , you should see their faces??? Then When I tell them I also have RSD , that is when they really just look at me .....

Thank goodness I now have a nurse that goes to all my appointments. At first I was a little bothered by it , but now , it is better for me. If I forget anything , all I have to do it ask her. WC pays for her and so far she has been doing her job .....

You asked if I am able to get any relief at all? Yes I take meds , they don't take the pain away ,but do help .... I also use heating pads , lidocain patches , when my RSD is not to bad... Walking cast if I go out ... I am from No CA .... I have a Pod who is my primary treating doctor . Then I also see a PM MD , who manages my pain meds...... I also have seen an Ortho doc a few times..

I hope you have a great day .So do you think you have TTS in both ankles or just one ? I know you said that one doctor says one and the other says both ...

My very best to you , Laurie R

Re: Wendyn

Laurie R on 11/17/02 at 10:21 (100488)

Hi Wendy , How are you doing? This has been very nice being back on the board... Yes you got it right , this adjuster I have for Comp is a real JERK ~!!!!! This guy does anything and everything to be mean to anyone that has anything to do with my case. I feel like calling him and letting him know I did not ask for this...... I just told the Comp doctor that I saw on Friday , if this adjuster could only feel my pain for just one day , he would sure change his sucky attitude......

No my RSD is not out of control like it has been in the past.... It is flared up due to all the added stress... My PM doc wants me to hold off as long as I can till the next SN block . I have already had 10 . Of course if the RSD gets real bad he will do it . I had my last block on Oct 3 nd...

How are you doing ?? Laurie R

Kari B on 11/17/02 at 12:25 (100507)

Hi Laurie,
Do you have to deal with your adjuster often? I don't talk to mine at all anymore since I hired my attorney. It seems she gets alot further with WC than I ever could. Anyway, I was wanting to ask you about the nurse... is she just for your appts or does she help you out at home too? I was thinking about seeing if I could get a part-time nurse to help out after I have surgery, mainly because my hubby is in the army and has a hard time getting time off of work right now due to all the turmoil here in the U.S. and I don't have any family close by that could help out either. My stepmom may come stay for about 2 days but she can't stay any longer. Other than that, all my siblings have their own lives and jobs and are unable to come here. I'm just not sure how to approach that with WC. I guess I should call my attorney on Monday and see if she can suggest anything. Also, I need to try to get a wheel chair if its possible but I don't know if they will cover that either. I absolutely hate crutches and they are hard on my back. I had major back surgery about 3 1/2 yrs ago and I still have my good and bad days with it but had alot more bad days while using the crutches after I first broke my foot.
Well, I sure wish they could find a good Dr who isn't afraid of dealing with your feet, in my opinion, I don't think it's right for a Dr to just give up because they think its too complicated and if they aren't confident in thier ability to treat you, then I feel they should at least help to find a Dr who can or is more knowledgable in RSD, tts, and any other probs you are facing. I hope you have a relaxing, peaceful Sunday... and hopefully get some relief from your pain!!!
Kari

Laurie R on 11/17/02 at 14:04 (100512)

Ho Kari , Of course you can jump in here. I love to get everyone opinions ... I really do , the more the better. I used to come to this board everyday and read and post and try ot help . Then I had my surgery and I had to focus on getting better........ But I am back and I want to also help anyone that may need my help .....

OK let me try to answer your question about my nurse . No she does not help me at home at all . She is paid by workers comp to manage my case as I am a difficult one. The good thing is , my attorney hand picked her out for me . My attorney knows me well , and knows all the problems I have had . At first I was not to sure about my nurse. I thought she only worked for comp . Then at my first appointment with her , it was at my Pod office. She comes in 20 to 30 minutes late . Then she asked my Pod when he thought I would be better .. Well he did not like that question at all . My Pod has always been on my side . He has called comp to try to get things approved for me . He has bent over back wards for me ....

So it took a while for my Pod and myself to get to know my nurse. I called my attorney and told her I did not want my nurse coming to anymore of my appointments . Then my attoreny explained to me that she was there to help me . And also I found out that my attorney and my nurse are friends. Now if my attorney would of told me this from the start then everything would of beeen ok .

Now after my surgery I did have home health care. But only because I had a epidural catheter implanted in my spine. The nurse would come and clean it and check to make sure I did not have an any signs of infection ..... I was suppose to keep the epidural in for 6 weeks post opp , but as I said it broke and had to be removed just after one and half weeks..... After it was removed then the home health care stoped.....

It would not hurt to ask your attorney if you could get home health care. I think it all depends on the type of surgery you are going to be having . Now if it was just my foot and ankle surgery ,then I would not of had home health care.....

Each insurance company covers different things... Let me know when you ask your attorney .

No I can't call my adjuster anymore. I did one time to get my much needed meds approved and he did approve them , but he told me never to call him again ... He said since I had an attorney I had to have her call...... He is one evil man ...

I think I may of said something wrong , my doctors have not given up on me , it is just that I am such a difficult case. I just had surgery 6 months ago and they don't want me to have another one so soon after. Which I agree.... See my surgery did help my foot , it helped with the tendon and the PF ... It is just now I have the PT nerve thing going on ....

It has been a very long road , but I won't give up . NEVER , I will always keep the faith and try to find an answer ....

I hope you also having a wonderful Sunday ....

Talk to you soon , Laurie R

wendyn on 11/17/02 at 17:27 (100517)

I am not so bad Laurie, thanks for asking!!

My feet are better some days than others. I really have reached a plateau in the last 6 months, and I'm suspecting that they're as good as they're going to get.

Keeping busy though, and keeping my mind off my feet and the things I can't do.

How did your move go?

Donna on 11/18/02 at 00:22 (100539)

I would really like to know where all your pain is after the 1st surgery? I had my surgery the first week of Sept. I cannot walk on my heel to painful, and my ankle is still hurting. I also had a nerve release for the top of my foot done, that's not to bad just painful on the bone that sticks up on top of my foot.

Laurie R on 11/18/02 at 17:02 (100592)

HI Donna , Ok I have only had just one surgery on my foot .... It was on May 7 th . Now you have to understand , I also have RSD ,which is very painful and it is all over my whole foot and ankle .... My nerve pain is in my arch and my inner ankle , and it goes to my big toe...... Then I get shooting pains that make me jump . I also have numbbing in my foot .... Then my whole foot will throb ...... Does any of this sound like what you have ? After my surgery , I was 6 weeks no weight bearring at all ......

Laurie R

Donna on 11/18/02 at 18:58 (100602)

It does make total since. They have come up with something new and I was weight bearring the next day, using a walker for support. This was news to all the podiatrists up here. I just wanted to check out all the information that I can. I still cannot walk normal and after 2 1/2 years its getting a little frustrating.