Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

severe effects before it rains

Posted by elliott on 11/17/02 at 09:18 (100472)

It seems like the day before it rains, the condition in my problematic foot becomes extremely severe (air pressure changes?). It is only this foot, not the other which was also operated on, nor any other body locations operated on. I'm not talking about the arthritis like our grandmothers have always kvetched about, or even the regular soreness people say they have post-op whenever it rains. I'm talking like being nearly crippled, a lot of pain, foot near complete collapse. Does this offer a clue as to possible corrective action or anything else?

[]

Re: severe effects before it rains

Laurie R on 11/17/02 at 10:28 (100491)

Hi Elliott , I know you are asking the doctors a question , but I have one for you ... Are you on any long acting pain meds , if you don't mind to answer ??? Laurie R

Re: Elliott I forgot

Laurie R on 11/17/02 at 10:30 (100492)

I wanted to let you know that I did get a reply email from Dr Dellon . He said he does not believe in vein wraps..... I was surprised he wrote me back ......

carynz on 11/17/02 at 10:41 (100496)

hi Elliott - you must have been reading my mind with that question!
I too find that I suffer more when the barometric air pressure changes rapidly from warm to cold or vs. and when it goes damp and stays that way for more than a day or so.

My docs have all told me 'old wives tales' no corrolation between symptoms and weather but I don't believe that for one second.

Are you taking any pain medication that perhaps would have some adverse reaction due to pressure changes? I don;'t take anything except Ibuprofen but I do seem to take it more often when the weather does make a change.

If you get a reasonable answer to this one I'd sure like to hear about it too.

Cheers from 'the wet(west)coast' Vancouver BC
Caryn

Des L. on 11/17/02 at 11:39 (100506)

Elliott and Doctors, Hope it's OK to jump in here. I'm really waiting to hear an answer on this very same thing too. I suffer many, many times with the same debilitating symptoms, but then there are times when the weather changes with rain, dampness and all or just the vice versa of warm to cold and I never have any of the symptoms at all!! So it isn't even always consistent. However, there are more times that I experience the pain than not--and my FEET are definitely involved and much worse during those weather change 'episodes.' It really effects your life! To mention I take neurontin regularly, and ibuprofen or celebrex as needed. I have never had any surgeries.

carynz on 11/17/02 at 13:49 (100510)

hi Des - how are you?

just wondering...:)

Cheers,
Caryn

Re: Caryn

wendyn on 11/17/02 at 17:25 (100516)

Caryn, in response to your question on the other board..

I really am not sure about weather changes. Maybe - maybe not. I have never noticed a definate link, but then again - I've never tried tracking it formally.

I know that the pressure changes (like from Chinooks) can cause headaches and sometimes I get sinus and ear pain too. But, I have no idea if it affects my feet any more than the alignment of the planets....!!!

elliott on 11/17/02 at 18:48 (100520)

Laurie, I am not surprised; he doesn't do vein wraps.

elliott on 11/17/02 at 18:49 (100521)

No pain meds. Take an occasional Aleve which blows out my stomach.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/17/02 at 20:23 (100528)

Wendy, I've noticed that when rainy cold weather is looming, some people crave different foods than on beautiful, sunny dry days. I don't know if that could have anything to do with it.

My arthritis hurts when it starts to rain. When my feet hurt, I didn't notice any effects from the weather but I suppose there could have been some (especially if I was 'walking funny' due to the arthritis hurting).

Carole C

Re: Carole

wendyn on 11/17/02 at 20:32 (100529)

You could be on to something there Carole, at least as far as the cravings go.

When I first came on the board, there was a number of people here who swore by low-carb diets to help reduce the pain of PF.

I don't know if any of those people - other than JohnH - are still around.

May make for some interesting reading if you ever get a chance to go back in the archives.

(See, I'm supposed to be studying for a Trig exam. I always spend time on the board when I have lots of homework. The queen of procrastination....)

Carole C in NOLA on 11/17/02 at 22:13 (100536)

That's interesting! I noticed that when I retain water, my PF would get worse (due to the swelling). Therefore, in the past I cut back on salt and carbohydrates to lessen the pain of PF. I didn't know that anybody else did that.

Some people do have a tendency to go for the carbs when it's cold, dark, and rainy if they don't think about it, and that could result in more pain.

Trig is such fun, or it will be soon! To beat procrastination it's good to have an incentive. You could promise yourself time at heelspurs.com as the incentive to complete your homework, maybe?

Carole C

Re: Incentive

wendyn on 11/17/02 at 22:25 (100537)

I don't know Carole, the problem is that I'm studying right beside my computer. I should go upstairs. At exam time I usually stay at the University, but I've found the crappy seats are really causing back pain.

Actually, I don't mind the Trig as much as I thought I would. It's the logs I can do without. They made my brain hurt.

Re: Logarithms

Carole C in NOLA on 11/18/02 at 06:54 (100543)

Wendy, there were no computers or calculators available to us back in the early sixties when I first 'experienced' logs in honors math, so we had to look them up in tables.

A boy named Peter who was in my class completely knew the log tables in the back of the book without looking. I guess he had a photographic memory, or else a very peculiar idea of what might be fun to memorize. Of course, he was the only one who managed to finish the tests in the time allotted, so knowing the tables must have paid off (much to the frustration of the rest of the class).

I just thought I'd impart this little gem to you, since you mentioned that logs made your brain hurt.

Carole C

wendyn on 11/18/02 at 07:27 (100544)

Carole, I'm not sure where I am in the grand scheme of logs, but we're not usuing the calculator or tables right now.

The part that hurts my brain is the equations where you have to use properties of logs to solve the equation. Bring back any fond memories (or nightmares)? How to add log equations, deal with logs of different bases, etc? It's been so long since I was in high school - I don't know where this fits in with how curriculum used to be.

Part of the problem was that we did logs in a very short period of time, I learned enough to get through the test - but I'm not looking forward to doing it again on the final!!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/18/02 at 07:51 (100545)

ah, yes! That does sound typical; teaching you these ways to manipulate logs without having you actually evaluate them. What they used to do was to show us the log tables, teach us how to evaluate logs, and then give us problems which we were to do by manipulating the logs to simplify the equations, and showing our steps for full credit. I am not sure (since it was over forty years ago) but I think we spent six weeks on logs.

It's nice if you can learn them to the point that they aren't intimidating when you come across them in problems later on (especially if your future study buddies DO feel intimidated by logs! Then you can show them how to manipulate logs, and that sort of thing can lead to good friendships.)

It must be difficult to remain enthusiastic when you haven't actually evaluated any of the answers. Of course, most scientific calculators have a log/antilog key so it's no longer such a big deal, but it must seem awfully theoretical when you don't get numbers at the end.

Carole C

Re: slide rule

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/21/02 at 15:30 (100823)

We used slide rules before calculators.
Ed

carynz on 11/21/02 at 19:34 (100842)

well well someone else dating themselves ha ha! yes I remember those days and still think back to how frustrating math was at times. My husband and I still believe in kids knowing how to solve the problem/equation by using their brain instead of their fingers to push buttons. As a result of our efforts, both of our children (grades 10 and 8) excel in math and 2x now they have scored in the top 10% in Canada for the national math quizzes they run every spring. I shudder to think that these kids who only use a calculator will never know how to solve the equation without it.

oh well that's my 2cents.

cheers Carynz

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/21/02 at 21:34 (100853)

Kids definitely need to be very proficient in artithmetic before they are allowed to use calculators. One does get to a level though, via the aid of calculators, routine calculations are quickened so that more time cam be spent learning essential principles. That is probably true by the time high school physics is taught.
Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 11/21/02 at 21:51 (100861)

Dr. Ed, I still have my slide rule right here at my desk. I used to teach slide rule at the university.

But nobody else knows how to use them any more! LOL

Carole C

Mar on 11/22/02 at 06:40 (100882)

What a delightful distraction from the pain this whole thread was! I am a HS math teacher/supervisor so I was smiling at all the comments here. Logs are great but TRIG is THE BEST! If you need help, Wendy, let me know! Mar ((email removed))

wendyn on 11/22/02 at 08:15 (100885)

Thanks Mar!!!

Off today to study for the exam Monday. It's going fairly well, the Trig itself isn't a problem...sometimes it's the factoring that gets me (been over 15 years since high school math for me).

But, it's almost over!

Mar on 11/22/02 at 13:26 (100916)

Good luck and holler if you need me!! Mar

Laurie R on 11/17/02 at 10:28 (100491)

Hi Elliott , I know you are asking the doctors a question , but I have one for you ... Are you on any long acting pain meds , if you don't mind to answer ??? Laurie R

Laurie R on 11/17/02 at 10:30 (100492)

I wanted to let you know that I did get a reply email from Dr Dellon . He said he does not believe in vein wraps..... I was surprised he wrote me back ......

carynz on 11/17/02 at 10:41 (100496)

hi Elliott - you must have been reading my mind with that question!
I too find that I suffer more when the barometric air pressure changes rapidly from warm to cold or vs. and when it goes damp and stays that way for more than a day or so.

My docs have all told me 'old wives tales' no corrolation between symptoms and weather but I don't believe that for one second.

Are you taking any pain medication that perhaps would have some adverse reaction due to pressure changes? I don;'t take anything except Ibuprofen but I do seem to take it more often when the weather does make a change.

If you get a reasonable answer to this one I'd sure like to hear about it too.

Cheers from 'the wet(west)coast' Vancouver BC
Caryn

Des L. on 11/17/02 at 11:39 (100506)

Elliott and Doctors, Hope it's OK to jump in here. I'm really waiting to hear an answer on this very same thing too. I suffer many, many times with the same debilitating symptoms, but then there are times when the weather changes with rain, dampness and all or just the vice versa of warm to cold and I never have any of the symptoms at all!! So it isn't even always consistent. However, there are more times that I experience the pain than not--and my FEET are definitely involved and much worse during those weather change 'episodes.' It really effects your life! To mention I take neurontin regularly, and ibuprofen or celebrex as needed. I have never had any surgeries.

carynz on 11/17/02 at 13:49 (100510)

hi Des - how are you?

just wondering...:)

Cheers,
Caryn

wendyn on 11/17/02 at 17:25 (100516)

Caryn, in response to your question on the other board..

I really am not sure about weather changes. Maybe - maybe not. I have never noticed a definate link, but then again - I've never tried tracking it formally.

I know that the pressure changes (like from Chinooks) can cause headaches and sometimes I get sinus and ear pain too. But, I have no idea if it affects my feet any more than the alignment of the planets....!!!

elliott on 11/17/02 at 18:48 (100520)

Laurie, I am not surprised; he doesn't do vein wraps.

elliott on 11/17/02 at 18:49 (100521)

No pain meds. Take an occasional Aleve which blows out my stomach.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/17/02 at 20:23 (100528)

Wendy, I've noticed that when rainy cold weather is looming, some people crave different foods than on beautiful, sunny dry days. I don't know if that could have anything to do with it.

My arthritis hurts when it starts to rain. When my feet hurt, I didn't notice any effects from the weather but I suppose there could have been some (especially if I was 'walking funny' due to the arthritis hurting).

Carole C

wendyn on 11/17/02 at 20:32 (100529)

You could be on to something there Carole, at least as far as the cravings go.

When I first came on the board, there was a number of people here who swore by low-carb diets to help reduce the pain of PF.

I don't know if any of those people - other than JohnH - are still around.

May make for some interesting reading if you ever get a chance to go back in the archives.

(See, I'm supposed to be studying for a Trig exam. I always spend time on the board when I have lots of homework. The queen of procrastination....)

Carole C in NOLA on 11/17/02 at 22:13 (100536)

That's interesting! I noticed that when I retain water, my PF would get worse (due to the swelling). Therefore, in the past I cut back on salt and carbohydrates to lessen the pain of PF. I didn't know that anybody else did that.

Some people do have a tendency to go for the carbs when it's cold, dark, and rainy if they don't think about it, and that could result in more pain.

Trig is such fun, or it will be soon! To beat procrastination it's good to have an incentive. You could promise yourself time at heelspurs.com as the incentive to complete your homework, maybe?

Carole C

Re: Incentive

wendyn on 11/17/02 at 22:25 (100537)

I don't know Carole, the problem is that I'm studying right beside my computer. I should go upstairs. At exam time I usually stay at the University, but I've found the crappy seats are really causing back pain.

Actually, I don't mind the Trig as much as I thought I would. It's the logs I can do without. They made my brain hurt.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/18/02 at 06:54 (100543)

Wendy, there were no computers or calculators available to us back in the early sixties when I first 'experienced' logs in honors math, so we had to look them up in tables.

A boy named Peter who was in my class completely knew the log tables in the back of the book without looking. I guess he had a photographic memory, or else a very peculiar idea of what might be fun to memorize. Of course, he was the only one who managed to finish the tests in the time allotted, so knowing the tables must have paid off (much to the frustration of the rest of the class).

I just thought I'd impart this little gem to you, since you mentioned that logs made your brain hurt.

Carole C

wendyn on 11/18/02 at 07:27 (100544)

Carole, I'm not sure where I am in the grand scheme of logs, but we're not usuing the calculator or tables right now.

The part that hurts my brain is the equations where you have to use properties of logs to solve the equation. Bring back any fond memories (or nightmares)? How to add log equations, deal with logs of different bases, etc? It's been so long since I was in high school - I don't know where this fits in with how curriculum used to be.

Part of the problem was that we did logs in a very short period of time, I learned enough to get through the test - but I'm not looking forward to doing it again on the final!!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/18/02 at 07:51 (100545)

ah, yes! That does sound typical; teaching you these ways to manipulate logs without having you actually evaluate them. What they used to do was to show us the log tables, teach us how to evaluate logs, and then give us problems which we were to do by manipulating the logs to simplify the equations, and showing our steps for full credit. I am not sure (since it was over forty years ago) but I think we spent six weeks on logs.

It's nice if you can learn them to the point that they aren't intimidating when you come across them in problems later on (especially if your future study buddies DO feel intimidated by logs! Then you can show them how to manipulate logs, and that sort of thing can lead to good friendships.)

It must be difficult to remain enthusiastic when you haven't actually evaluated any of the answers. Of course, most scientific calculators have a log/antilog key so it's no longer such a big deal, but it must seem awfully theoretical when you don't get numbers at the end.

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/21/02 at 15:30 (100823)

We used slide rules before calculators.
Ed

carynz on 11/21/02 at 19:34 (100842)

well well someone else dating themselves ha ha! yes I remember those days and still think back to how frustrating math was at times. My husband and I still believe in kids knowing how to solve the problem/equation by using their brain instead of their fingers to push buttons. As a result of our efforts, both of our children (grades 10 and 8) excel in math and 2x now they have scored in the top 10% in Canada for the national math quizzes they run every spring. I shudder to think that these kids who only use a calculator will never know how to solve the equation without it.

oh well that's my 2cents.

cheers Carynz

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/21/02 at 21:34 (100853)

Kids definitely need to be very proficient in artithmetic before they are allowed to use calculators. One does get to a level though, via the aid of calculators, routine calculations are quickened so that more time cam be spent learning essential principles. That is probably true by the time high school physics is taught.
Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 11/21/02 at 21:51 (100861)

Dr. Ed, I still have my slide rule right here at my desk. I used to teach slide rule at the university.

But nobody else knows how to use them any more! LOL

Carole C

Mar on 11/22/02 at 06:40 (100882)

What a delightful distraction from the pain this whole thread was! I am a HS math teacher/supervisor so I was smiling at all the comments here. Logs are great but TRIG is THE BEST! If you need help, Wendy, let me know! Mar ((email removed))

wendyn on 11/22/02 at 08:15 (100885)

Thanks Mar!!!

Off today to study for the exam Monday. It's going fairly well, the Trig itself isn't a problem...sometimes it's the factoring that gets me (been over 15 years since high school math for me).

But, it's almost over!

Mar on 11/22/02 at 13:26 (100916)

Good luck and holler if you need me!! Mar