Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

torn pf

Posted by Jim G. on 11/19/02 at 12:33 (100637)

I started having heel pain, worse when I first put weight on it, better after I walked on it, but as soon as I got off my feet they felt better,until I put weight on it again, pain.My pcp gave me strecthing exercises do to, but it seemed to make it worse. I saw a podiatrist after that and x-rays showed a small spur. I had a shot and orthonics put in my shoe [right foot]. Exercise only seemed to aggravate my pain so I had an MRI and it revealed I had actually torn my PF. I believe the doctors caused me more trouble by having me stretch. Six weeks ago I had surgery to repair the tear. I had this done by an orthopedic surgeon. He also took a piece of my tendon from my pinky toe and attached it beside the tear for more stability. He also moved my heel bone over to correct the way my foot was pointing. It was pointing out like a 45 degree angle. I am 47 yrs old,not overweight[180#],5'10' tall. I am now in a walking boot and will start therapy next week. Is this procedure common,what can I expect, any thing I can do to prevent this again,any special exercises I need to do for this foot and my other foot that may help? After six weeks in casts my foot doesn't have any flexability and my arch is extremely tight.

Re: torn pf

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/19/02 at 13:05 (100640)

Hi,

It sounds like you had a repair for your achilles tendon not your plantar fascia. It also sounds like you had an osteotomy of the heel bone. This is a major repair. This is going to take some time to heal. Your physical Therapy is very important to the outcome of your major foot and ankle surgery. Make sure you go to the physical each and every time.

Good luck.

Jim G on 11/19/02 at 13:37 (100644)

Diagnosis-foot tendon rupt. *foot flat pes talipes planus. what does it mean?

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/19/02 at 13:05 (100640)

Hi,

It sounds like you had a repair for your achilles tendon not your plantar fascia. It also sounds like you had an osteotomy of the heel bone. This is a major repair. This is going to take some time to heal. Your physical Therapy is very important to the outcome of your major foot and ankle surgery. Make sure you go to the physical each and every time.

Good luck.

Jim G on 11/19/02 at 13:37 (100644)

Diagnosis-foot tendon rupt. *foot flat pes talipes planus. what does it mean?