Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

SIDE EFFECTS OF ESWT

Posted by MARY T on 11/20/02 at 07:09 (100726)

I SUFFER FROM PF AND HAVE TRIED EVERY OULET POSSIBLE TO RELEIVE MY PAIN, INCLUDING PT, ORTHODICS, SHOTS(3), MEDICINE, ICE. MY DR GAVE ME SOME INFORMATON ON EXTRACORPOREAL SHOCK WAVE THERAPY TO LOOK AT BEFORE WE COSIDERED SURGERY. I AM CONCERNED AS TO WHAT THE SIDE EFFECTS ARE TO THIS THERAPY AND HE IS NOT YET CERTIFIED TO DO THIS PROCEDURE AND WILL NOT BE TILL JAN., SHOULD I GO TO ANOTHER DR. WHO IS MORE SKILLED IN THIS THERAPY OR TRUST HIM AND BE ONE OF HIS FIRST PATIENTS.

Re: SIDE EFFECTS OF ESWT

Dr. Marlene Reid on 11/20/02 at 23:19 (100772)

There are 'virtually' no side effects of ESWT. There may be some temporary numbness and bruising, although after 2 years of performing ESWT I have yet to see either problem occur. I would find someone with more experience, because there is a learning curve to the procedure. Ithink those who have done it more often have been playing a little to find what works best. With our patients, we have a 95% success rate. Although, if you really like and trust this guy, you may want to stay with him and take a a little more risk in it not helping as much as you expect.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/21/02 at 11:30 (100793)

Hi

Here is what our group of 50 eswt physicians have found out with ESWT. It is very effective for chronic insertional plantar fasciitis. Some patients will give relief the next day, some will improve and get complete relief over a period of 12-16 weeks. Some will have no relief until the eight to ten week post eswt. The risks are that it may not work.

The sucess rates according to the FDA one year follow up were 81% with the ossatron with two plantar fascia rupture. The follow up with the dornier was 94% sucess rate without any plantar fascia ruptures.

Picking your doctor is very important . Experience is very important , the specific machine and treatment protocol are important and most important the gut feeling that you have and should trust when reading posts and chosing your eswt treating doctor. Feel free to ask any questions about your specific foot problem and eswt

K.P. M on 11/25/02 at 19:09 (101139)

Doctor Zuckerman mentions two plantar fascia ruptures in FDA trials. This sounds like a serious complication. How serious, what are the long term treament and effects of rupture?

Dr. Z on 11/25/02 at 19:13 (101140)

Both of these complications occurred during the Ossatron FDA trial. I am not sure of the long term effect with these two patients. I believe the FDA did require further evaluation with the ossatron and a report to the FDA. I guess you would have to contact the FDA or healthronics for additional information.

elliott on 11/25/02 at 21:45 (101151)

Dr. Z, are they sure the PF ruptures in the FDA trial were attributed to the ESWT and not incidental to it? Also, I sent you an email. Did you get it?

Dr. Z on 11/25/02 at 21:57 (101154)

I believe that there was no conclusive proof that the ossatron caused the ruptures but the FDA required pf rupture as part of the labeling. I didn't get your e-mail.

elliott on 11/26/02 at 09:34 (101178)

Dr. Z, what is your email address? Thanks.

[]

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/26/02 at 11:14 (101188)

(email removed)

Dr. Marlene Reid on 11/20/02 at 23:19 (100772)

There are 'virtually' no side effects of ESWT. There may be some temporary numbness and bruising, although after 2 years of performing ESWT I have yet to see either problem occur. I would find someone with more experience, because there is a learning curve to the procedure. Ithink those who have done it more often have been playing a little to find what works best. With our patients, we have a 95% success rate. Although, if you really like and trust this guy, you may want to stay with him and take a a little more risk in it not helping as much as you expect.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/21/02 at 11:30 (100793)

Hi

Here is what our group of 50 eswt physicians have found out with ESWT. It is very effective for chronic insertional plantar fasciitis. Some patients will give relief the next day, some will improve and get complete relief over a period of 12-16 weeks. Some will have no relief until the eight to ten week post eswt. The risks are that it may not work.

The sucess rates according to the FDA one year follow up were 81% with the ossatron with two plantar fascia rupture. The follow up with the dornier was 94% sucess rate without any plantar fascia ruptures.

Picking your doctor is very important . Experience is very important , the specific machine and treatment protocol are important and most important the gut feeling that you have and should trust when reading posts and chosing your eswt treating doctor. Feel free to ask any questions about your specific foot problem and eswt

K.P. M on 11/25/02 at 19:09 (101139)

Doctor Zuckerman mentions two plantar fascia ruptures in FDA trials. This sounds like a serious complication. How serious, what are the long term treament and effects of rupture?

Dr. Z on 11/25/02 at 19:13 (101140)

Both of these complications occurred during the Ossatron FDA trial. I am not sure of the long term effect with these two patients. I believe the FDA did require further evaluation with the ossatron and a report to the FDA. I guess you would have to contact the FDA or healthronics for additional information.

elliott on 11/25/02 at 21:45 (101151)

Dr. Z, are they sure the PF ruptures in the FDA trial were attributed to the ESWT and not incidental to it? Also, I sent you an email. Did you get it?

Dr. Z on 11/25/02 at 21:57 (101154)

I believe that there was no conclusive proof that the ossatron caused the ruptures but the FDA required pf rupture as part of the labeling. I didn't get your e-mail.

elliott on 11/26/02 at 09:34 (101178)

Dr. Z, what is your email address? Thanks.

[]

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/26/02 at 11:14 (101188)

(email removed)