Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Elliott - Best Doctors

Posted by Henry C on 11/20/02 at 13:49 (100748)

Elliott,

I consider you one of the most informed non-doctors on this message board. If you had a nerve related foot injury, who would you go see for treatment?

In my case, I thought I had seen two of the best foot/ankle doctors in the country. They were Dr. Mark Myerson and Dr. Lew Schon of Baltimore, MD. Having struck out two times with doctors like this, who would you recommend I see next?

Henry C

Re: To Elliott - Best Doctors

Donna on 11/20/02 at 14:20 (100750)

I don't mean to stick my nose in here but Dr. Dellon in Baltimore, MD is really good and knowledgable.
Donna

elliott on 11/20/02 at 16:21 (100753)

Henry, the two you are going to see sound like great choices. One is more of a pure nerve expert, the other is considered one of the best orthos with extensive nerve experience. That way, you're covered as to whether this is a pure nerve problem or more of an ortho problem. I mean, if just careful nerve transection is called for, the first is probably a great choice. If tinkering with your talar dome or other such is needed as well, the second may be a great choice.

I think what's tough here is that it seems very difficult to diagnose exactly what complication occurred the first time around after the talar dome correction. You have often referred to burning alternating between the outer part of your foot near the little toe (suggestive of possible lateral plantar nerve entrapment) and dead center behind your ankle (possibly not), and you already had nerve releases that didn't help. No matter how good the doc, the symptoms will have to make sense to him, or perhaps he'll be lucky enough to have seen something like that before. But it also may happen that they'll be puzzled by your symptoms, and the standard MRI/xray/nerve conduction tests will not be illuminating. If so, you wouldn't be the first; they just can't explain everything. What you hopefully will find is someone who will listen very carefully to your exact symptoms and get that light bulb of what is going on, and convince you of that too.

I do want to say a few words about the docs you've already seen. I know you're disappointed and having trouble coping with the nerve pain, but unfortunately, no doc can achieve 100% results. I mean, even a standard TTS release has odds more like 70%, meaning many go away disappointed and perhaps dysfunctional or disabled even though they had one of the best around doing the release. It's rough when things don't work out.

I still think getting one of those adjustable knee carts to get around for a while without weightbearing and hence without pain is worth a try. If nothing else, it will give you a break from the pain, and sometimes that has lasting effects.

One more idea: especially if these next two docs don't pan out, go to pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

and type in the search box something like talar dome and see the articles that pop out. Among them are somewhat comprehensive studies on surgical results on talar domes. Perhaps you could go to a medical library and read those that sound like the surgery you had to see if any had similar complications. Some have (email) addresses listed, so you could (e)mail them; others have docs whose location may be close to you (e.g. Pittsburgh). Good luck.

[]

Henry C on 11/21/02 at 10:59 (100790)

Elliott,

As always you seem so informative to this subject. You are exactly right about finding a doctor who will listen to me and my specific symptoms. Five years ago when I was first injured, I made the decision that I would not stop until I could find a doctor who would exactly do that! To this very day, I have not given up on finding that doctor. I waited four months for my first appointment with Dr. Myerson only to be disappointed. Then there was Dr. Schon and again I had my hopes up.

I know they both are highly regarded in their field, but neither has had that light bulb light up and neither has been able to provide any real relief. Maybe I'm just crazy, stupid or a little of both, but I continue in my pledge to find someone to help me. Once again, I'm hoping Dr. Dellon or Dr. Conti wil have that light bulb light up. At this point in time, I am willing to try just about anything.

Before when I first started going to the pain clinic in Pittsburgh, you had e-mailed me at my hotmail account. I have not used that account for some time and all my e-mails have been lost. Could you please e-mail me at (email removed). I would like to get some more information from you.

Henry C

Donna on 11/20/02 at 14:20 (100750)

I don't mean to stick my nose in here but Dr. Dellon in Baltimore, MD is really good and knowledgable.
Donna

elliott on 11/20/02 at 16:21 (100753)

Henry, the two you are going to see sound like great choices. One is more of a pure nerve expert, the other is considered one of the best orthos with extensive nerve experience. That way, you're covered as to whether this is a pure nerve problem or more of an ortho problem. I mean, if just careful nerve transection is called for, the first is probably a great choice. If tinkering with your talar dome or other such is needed as well, the second may be a great choice.

I think what's tough here is that it seems very difficult to diagnose exactly what complication occurred the first time around after the talar dome correction. You have often referred to burning alternating between the outer part of your foot near the little toe (suggestive of possible lateral plantar nerve entrapment) and dead center behind your ankle (possibly not), and you already had nerve releases that didn't help. No matter how good the doc, the symptoms will have to make sense to him, or perhaps he'll be lucky enough to have seen something like that before. But it also may happen that they'll be puzzled by your symptoms, and the standard MRI/xray/nerve conduction tests will not be illuminating. If so, you wouldn't be the first; they just can't explain everything. What you hopefully will find is someone who will listen very carefully to your exact symptoms and get that light bulb of what is going on, and convince you of that too.

I do want to say a few words about the docs you've already seen. I know you're disappointed and having trouble coping with the nerve pain, but unfortunately, no doc can achieve 100% results. I mean, even a standard TTS release has odds more like 70%, meaning many go away disappointed and perhaps dysfunctional or disabled even though they had one of the best around doing the release. It's rough when things don't work out.

I still think getting one of those adjustable knee carts to get around for a while without weightbearing and hence without pain is worth a try. If nothing else, it will give you a break from the pain, and sometimes that has lasting effects.

One more idea: especially if these next two docs don't pan out, go to pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

and type in the search box something like talar dome and see the articles that pop out. Among them are somewhat comprehensive studies on surgical results on talar domes. Perhaps you could go to a medical library and read those that sound like the surgery you had to see if any had similar complications. Some have (email) addresses listed, so you could (e)mail them; others have docs whose location may be close to you (e.g. Pittsburgh). Good luck.

[]

Henry C on 11/21/02 at 10:59 (100790)

Elliott,

As always you seem so informative to this subject. You are exactly right about finding a doctor who will listen to me and my specific symptoms. Five years ago when I was first injured, I made the decision that I would not stop until I could find a doctor who would exactly do that! To this very day, I have not given up on finding that doctor. I waited four months for my first appointment with Dr. Myerson only to be disappointed. Then there was Dr. Schon and again I had my hopes up.

I know they both are highly regarded in their field, but neither has had that light bulb light up and neither has been able to provide any real relief. Maybe I'm just crazy, stupid or a little of both, but I continue in my pledge to find someone to help me. Once again, I'm hoping Dr. Dellon or Dr. Conti wil have that light bulb light up. At this point in time, I am willing to try just about anything.

Before when I first started going to the pain clinic in Pittsburgh, you had e-mailed me at my hotmail account. I have not used that account for some time and all my e-mails have been lost. Could you please e-mail me at (email removed). I would like to get some more information from you.

Henry C