Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bayshore ESWT Treatment # 4

Posted by Amy in Va Bch on 11/20/02 at 23:32 (100774)

I am back again. I am catching up on my postings.

My last treatment on Tuesday, 11/19 was for laser treatment only. It went fine and Cori thought it would be good to get that done before hopping the plane for home.

My limping is a thing of the past and I had no soreness from the day before at CN Tower and all of the walking I did. That is a good sign for me. However, the tough part came at the Toronto Airport. Wow. That is one big airport and they had me walking the length of that place twice over to check baggage, inspect baggage, going through Customs, etc.. but it is all over now, thank God. This is the first time I really HURT. But the pain was in both feet as a result of the activity from the day before. I wish I had my Birkinstocks on instead of those New Balance tennis shoes. I am spoiled rotten on Birkinstocks, but they were in my checked baggage. Oh well...

I got home and was so pooped I did not even go onto this board to post. The good news is after a while sitting down and getting out of those dang tennis shoes, I was FINE. No PAIN people.

Now to answer a few questions. Following treatments I have not HAD to apply heat nor ice. Nothing hurt, so why would I need to do anything? My instructions now are to take it easy, but I have been doing that since I started with the PF. I am blessed in that I do not work now, so I will have optimum opportunity to heal properly. I am to walk, don't get me wrong. However, I am not to do anything to the point of discomfort. I will follow those instructions.

That is about it for now. I will be back tomorrow. Again, if you have technical questions, please direct them to Sunny Jacob, the Management Director of the Bayshore ESWT Pain Clinic. He posts on this board. You can always email Cori if you have questions, as she is the Senior ESWT Therapist. Both are also amenable to telephone calls. They are most knowledgeable and very helpful. Check out their website as it is a very good one. I am very grateful for their help and very glad I made the decision to go there. The difference is already apparent and I look forward to a full recovery from PF!

Re: Bayshore ESWT Treatment # 4

JeanieR on 11/21/02 at 13:00 (100806)

Hi Amy,
I read with great interest every one of your messages detailing your experience with ESWT. I wanted to thank you for allowing us to 'come along'.. so to speak ..with you during your treatments, and for taking the time to give us all the details.
I am so happy to hear that you are doing well, so far...just to know you are able to write that you've experienced bouts of 'no pain' is wonderful! I hope that someday I can say the same.
This is my story and ...why I felt like I was with you all the way through your treatments. I have it in both feet also. You are so very lucky to have this treatment covered for you. I have read and studied quite a bit about ESWT for months.
I have had PF for about 4 years now....3 of those years I never sought medical help...just thought it was the result of 2 kids in 2 years and 30 pounds of extra weight, perhaps my too aggressive exercise schedule,maybe a bit of arthritis...after all, it didn't hurt all the time, just hurt in the a.m., a lot after exercise...and dull ache during the day...whatever it was, I figured it would get better once I lost weight and didn't want to hear a Dr. tell me this. One year ago I decided to see a Dr. since I was in so much pain...even after losing weight..now it was all day, all the time...I stopped exercising because the pain following it was excruciating, and with 2 very active toddlers, I needed to do something!
So the adventure began...ice, rest, stretching-constantly, then a corisone shot, wow that fixed me, no pain....I'm cured...so I started jogging again...2 weeks later it was worse than ever. Then came 6 months of intense physical therapy, all kinds-ultrasound,iontophresis, etc. .. no relief...then expensive barely-affordable-to me orthodics..nope, still no relief...gotta go get that corisone shot again...second shot had no effect. So now, still in pain and absolutely against surgery, having read horror stories about it...I get a cast and crutches ... (here's when having a maid would have come in handy with a 4 & a 5 year old and my elderly live-in mother-in-law with advanced altzheimer's! Luckily I see the humor in some of it, just to keep sane! hee hee. 6 weeks later the cast comes off...now 2 weeks since then and I am still in pain. On day 2 after the cast I just knew the 6 weeks was a waste, I think I cried through the entire day.
So having studied about this ESWT, and its success rate...I check with my insurance co. to see if they would cover it....they say they will...but since no one in my network does this procedure, I'd have to go outside of my network, which means I need a referral from my PCP...I pursue this and am denied! The board believes surgery is a better option? Invasive is better??
We are a one income family, 4 years ago I decided to quit my job to be a stay-at-home Mom...well THAT I am, 'stay-at-home' in the true sense of the word, I don't want to go anywhere that involves walking more that 100 ft! And that extra weight..ha! that's back on again and more.
I am a perfect candidate for ESWT, but I will never be able to afford it we just don't have this kind of money...I can't even go back to work to MAKE the money! So I am tetoring between living with it housebound (I'm in my 30's) or risk surgery...which makes me nauseaus to think of.
Well, Amy I wish you the best, I pray you never have to experience that pain again!
..sorry I was so long winded...
Thanks to this website too ..for letting me share this! JEANIE

Doug on 11/21/02 at 19:13 (100841)

What is the difference between Dornier and ESWT?

Doug

BrianG on 11/21/02 at 22:14 (100866)

Hey Amy, good deal of feling better. Take it easy for a few months. If you begin to exercise again, just remember to start out slowly. I'm happy you could make the trip.

Jeanie, don't give up with your referrel. Take a look at your insurance policy. You'll probably find something about an appeal process. Go for it. Print out some success stories like Amy's. I'd also print a couple of the really gone bad surgerys. Just look back a little bit, you'll find more than enough.

Doug, the Dornier is one of the two ESWT machines that have been approved for PF treatment. The other one is the Ossatron. The jury is still out on which one is better. A lot of people have been helped by both machines.

Good luck
BrianG

john h on 11/22/02 at 10:05 (100896)

Jeannie R: In what state do you live?

Re: Reply to John h ESWT

JeanieR on 11/22/02 at 12:26 (100911)

Hi John,
I live in NH.

JeanieR on 11/21/02 at 13:00 (100806)

Hi Amy,
I read with great interest every one of your messages detailing your experience with ESWT. I wanted to thank you for allowing us to 'come along'.. so to speak ..with you during your treatments, and for taking the time to give us all the details.
I am so happy to hear that you are doing well, so far...just to know you are able to write that you've experienced bouts of 'no pain' is wonderful! I hope that someday I can say the same.
This is my story and ...why I felt like I was with you all the way through your treatments. I have it in both feet also. You are so very lucky to have this treatment covered for you. I have read and studied quite a bit about ESWT for months.
I have had PF for about 4 years now....3 of those years I never sought medical help...just thought it was the result of 2 kids in 2 years and 30 pounds of extra weight, perhaps my too aggressive exercise schedule,maybe a bit of arthritis...after all, it didn't hurt all the time, just hurt in the a.m., a lot after exercise...and dull ache during the day...whatever it was, I figured it would get better once I lost weight and didn't want to hear a Dr. tell me this. One year ago I decided to see a Dr. since I was in so much pain...even after losing weight..now it was all day, all the time...I stopped exercising because the pain following it was excruciating, and with 2 very active toddlers, I needed to do something!
So the adventure began...ice, rest, stretching-constantly, then a corisone shot, wow that fixed me, no pain....I'm cured...so I started jogging again...2 weeks later it was worse than ever. Then came 6 months of intense physical therapy, all kinds-ultrasound,iontophresis, etc. .. no relief...then expensive barely-affordable-to me orthodics..nope, still no relief...gotta go get that corisone shot again...second shot had no effect. So now, still in pain and absolutely against surgery, having read horror stories about it...I get a cast and crutches ... (here's when having a maid would have come in handy with a 4 & a 5 year old and my elderly live-in mother-in-law with advanced altzheimer's! Luckily I see the humor in some of it, just to keep sane! hee hee. 6 weeks later the cast comes off...now 2 weeks since then and I am still in pain. On day 2 after the cast I just knew the 6 weeks was a waste, I think I cried through the entire day.
So having studied about this ESWT, and its success rate...I check with my insurance co. to see if they would cover it....they say they will...but since no one in my network does this procedure, I'd have to go outside of my network, which means I need a referral from my PCP...I pursue this and am denied! The board believes surgery is a better option? Invasive is better??
We are a one income family, 4 years ago I decided to quit my job to be a stay-at-home Mom...well THAT I am, 'stay-at-home' in the true sense of the word, I don't want to go anywhere that involves walking more that 100 ft! And that extra weight..ha! that's back on again and more.
I am a perfect candidate for ESWT, but I will never be able to afford it we just don't have this kind of money...I can't even go back to work to MAKE the money! So I am tetoring between living with it housebound (I'm in my 30's) or risk surgery...which makes me nauseaus to think of.
Well, Amy I wish you the best, I pray you never have to experience that pain again!
..sorry I was so long winded...
Thanks to this website too ..for letting me share this! JEANIE

Doug on 11/21/02 at 19:13 (100841)

What is the difference between Dornier and ESWT?

Doug

BrianG on 11/21/02 at 22:14 (100866)

Hey Amy, good deal of feling better. Take it easy for a few months. If you begin to exercise again, just remember to start out slowly. I'm happy you could make the trip.

Jeanie, don't give up with your referrel. Take a look at your insurance policy. You'll probably find something about an appeal process. Go for it. Print out some success stories like Amy's. I'd also print a couple of the really gone bad surgerys. Just look back a little bit, you'll find more than enough.

Doug, the Dornier is one of the two ESWT machines that have been approved for PF treatment. The other one is the Ossatron. The jury is still out on which one is better. A lot of people have been helped by both machines.

Good luck
BrianG

john h on 11/22/02 at 10:05 (100896)

Jeannie R: In what state do you live?

Re: Reply to John h ESWT

JeanieR on 11/22/02 at 12:26 (100911)

Hi John,
I live in NH.