Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr Coz - Radiofreq Lesioning

Posted by Mar on 11/23/02 at 07:53 (100977)

Dr Coz --

I was just going through all my heel pain papers and found info on Stereotactic Radio Frequency Lesioning for heel pain. (Also my hairstylist is a cousin of Dr. Rivera and was telling me about it.) Is this something that could work for PF if ESWT doesn't? Mar

Re: Dr Coz - Radiofreq Lesioning

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/24/02 at 06:09 (101030)

Mar:

If the pain can be isolated to pain locations, yes Stereotacic RF lesioning can solve the problem. What is important for this procedure is that the patient identifies all of the pain locations by marking their foot with a marker where the pain is . When these locations or trigger points are obtained then the procedure may be performed. This pain map is utilized by myself when the RF lesioning is done. If the patient has located the spots there is a 92% success rate. I have seen this too many times, patients are in pain on Friday, I lesion on Monday and by Wednesday they are out of pain. The procedure is minially invassive. There are no incisions, stitches or surigical shoe. Band aids are applied over the injection sites after the procedure and the patient returns to their shoes.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Mar on 11/24/02 at 10:28 (101037)

Dr Coz -

Do the pain locations have to be like pinpoint locations? I can find places of major pain but also the whole heel area is generalized pain. (And ankles, legs, and knees are starting too!!) Can this be done after ESWT and still have a chance at success? Do most insurance companies cover this as opposed to ESWT? Thanks -- Mar

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/25/02 at 21:27 (101145)

Hi Mar:

Yes a ball point pen is fine to find the pain locations. Yes it can be done after ESWT. Pain is multi layered. Sometimes the fasical pain is taken away and there are actual trigger point locations where pain can be elicited. It is covered on insurance. We perform the procedure in Saddle Brook NJ where the originator of the procedure perfomed it. The originaltor is Dr. Ronald Solitto who is now retired.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Mar on 11/26/02 at 05:21 (101167)

Thanks Dr. Coz -- I see my ESWT doc next week, so I'll see where I go from there. Mar

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/26/02 at 06:28 (101169)

MAR:

Best of luck!!

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/24/02 at 06:09 (101030)

Mar:

If the pain can be isolated to pain locations, yes Stereotacic RF lesioning can solve the problem. What is important for this procedure is that the patient identifies all of the pain locations by marking their foot with a marker where the pain is . When these locations or trigger points are obtained then the procedure may be performed. This pain map is utilized by myself when the RF lesioning is done. If the patient has located the spots there is a 92% success rate. I have seen this too many times, patients are in pain on Friday, I lesion on Monday and by Wednesday they are out of pain. The procedure is minially invassive. There are no incisions, stitches or surigical shoe. Band aids are applied over the injection sites after the procedure and the patient returns to their shoes.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Mar on 11/24/02 at 10:28 (101037)

Dr Coz -

Do the pain locations have to be like pinpoint locations? I can find places of major pain but also the whole heel area is generalized pain. (And ankles, legs, and knees are starting too!!) Can this be done after ESWT and still have a chance at success? Do most insurance companies cover this as opposed to ESWT? Thanks -- Mar

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/25/02 at 21:27 (101145)

Hi Mar:

Yes a ball point pen is fine to find the pain locations. Yes it can be done after ESWT. Pain is multi layered. Sometimes the fasical pain is taken away and there are actual trigger point locations where pain can be elicited. It is covered on insurance. We perform the procedure in Saddle Brook NJ where the originator of the procedure perfomed it. The originaltor is Dr. Ronald Solitto who is now retired.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Mar on 11/26/02 at 05:21 (101167)

Thanks Dr. Coz -- I see my ESWT doc next week, so I'll see where I go from there. Mar

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/26/02 at 06:28 (101169)

MAR:

Best of luck!!

Dr. John Cozzarelli