Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

gotta love the south

Posted by pala on 11/23/02 at 21:28 (101019)

when i first moved to atlanta, long ago, when it was really the deep south i took a drive to see the country side. i took back roads and stopped at a roadside store to use a bathroom. he had no bathroom but told me to walk up a path where his house is. go in quietly cause the baby is asleep in the living room and the bathroom is upstairs. i was horrified and said i'm a stranger are you crazy. he didn't even know what was talking about and kept telling me to use his house. north georgia isn't like this anymore. it's too discovered by us nasty new yorkers. but rural alabama still is. when i looked for land there i thought i'd be killed by the friendliness. i was on crutches then and darn near stampeded whenever i got to a door i was struggling with.

Re: gotta love the south

Sheila S on 11/24/02 at 05:06 (101027)

LOL - I remember things like that. (NY's aren't nasty, just different - same as us southerners are different from your perspective). But not all this change is caused by northerners. lol I was thinking yesterday, when I was a kid I used to ride my bike all over the cities we lived in. I just knew I had to be home at dusk. And that was in California! These days, I wouldn't let a child ride down the street without sitting on the porch to keep watch. And that has nothing to do with yankees. Time marches on, huh? And not always to a nice beat. But we are free to move from one end of the U.S. to the other and that's more than most countries can boast. Bless God, U.S.A. =)

Re: gotta love the south

Sheila S on 11/24/02 at 05:06 (101027)

LOL - I remember things like that. (NY's aren't nasty, just different - same as us southerners are different from your perspective). But not all this change is caused by northerners. lol I was thinking yesterday, when I was a kid I used to ride my bike all over the cities we lived in. I just knew I had to be home at dusk. And that was in California! These days, I wouldn't let a child ride down the street without sitting on the porch to keep watch. And that has nothing to do with yankees. Time marches on, huh? And not always to a nice beat. But we are free to move from one end of the U.S. to the other and that's more than most countries can boast. Bless God, U.S.A. =)