Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ecco Shoes

Posted by Marc F on 11/24/02 at 09:43 (101035)

It seems I have Plantar Fasciitis. I seems to have gotten it soon after I purchased two pairs of Ecco shoes. Ecco shoes are noted as 'foot friedly' and, I have to admit, they are about the most cofortable pairs of shoes I've owned.
Has anyone else experienced getting this problem after wearing Ecco shoes?

Re: Ecco Shoes

Carole C in NOLA on 11/24/02 at 12:32 (101041)

Marc, some Ecco shoes are pretty awful for PF, and can contribute to getting PF because they do not provide enough support; some people have said their PF was at least partly due to their Ecco shoes. But some other styles of Ecco shoes are not so bad. So I would say yes, they might have been at least part of the reason for your getting PF although it is not certain.

Personally, I would have given anything to have been able to wear the attractive styles of Ecco's that I was seeing in the stores when I had PF. However, I just did not dare to take that chance since so many people on the board warned me about them. I'd suggest putting your Eccos in the back of your closet and wearing more 'PF-friendly' shoes for now.

Some of the shoes that have worked best for various people here are Birkenstocks, New Balance, SAS shoes, Dansk, Mephistos, and others. Right now I personally wear Birkenstocks around the house, New Balance for walking and shopping, and SAS at work, but I am essentially healed. When I had PF, I wore SAS with custom orthotics fitted to them at work, and Birkenstocks otherwise. The New Balance didn't work for me until my pain was no longer severe and I was feeling at least partly healed. Shoes that didn't work for me at all even then were Nikes and Easy Spirit.

By the way, there are many message boards on this site, and one is called 'Inserts/Orthotics/Shoes'. Your message would be read by a lot more people if it was there. The message board where it was posted is for updates on the mechanics of the heelspurs.com site, like if there are problems with the site, and probably it is not read by as many people.

Carole C

Julie on 11/24/02 at 15:38 (101048)

Here's one person's Ecco story.

For years I wore them all the time: I loved them because they were so foot friendly: they felt like gloves for the feet. But that was the problem: not enough support, and perhaps - I don't know - they contributed to my PF. They were flexible enough to bend everywhere, and a good shoe should bend only at the metatarsal.

When I got PF I stopped wearing them for several months. Then one evening, when I wanted a more 'respectable' shoe than the athletic shoes I now wore, I went out in them - and limped home in agony.

But there are, as Carole said, different styles and lasts in the Ecco range; some are more supportive than others. If yours are, like mine, the type that bend at the arch, stop wearing them and search out shoes with better support.

Al A. on 11/27/02 at 10:55 (101245)

You might want to try the New Balance walking shoe model MW842WG.
Great shoe with plenty of cushioning!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/30/02 at 14:01 (101510)

Why? What advantage do they have over my New Balance 879's and 991's?

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 11/24/02 at 12:32 (101041)

Marc, some Ecco shoes are pretty awful for PF, and can contribute to getting PF because they do not provide enough support; some people have said their PF was at least partly due to their Ecco shoes. But some other styles of Ecco shoes are not so bad. So I would say yes, they might have been at least part of the reason for your getting PF although it is not certain.

Personally, I would have given anything to have been able to wear the attractive styles of Ecco's that I was seeing in the stores when I had PF. However, I just did not dare to take that chance since so many people on the board warned me about them. I'd suggest putting your Eccos in the back of your closet and wearing more 'PF-friendly' shoes for now.

Some of the shoes that have worked best for various people here are Birkenstocks, New Balance, SAS shoes, Dansk, Mephistos, and others. Right now I personally wear Birkenstocks around the house, New Balance for walking and shopping, and SAS at work, but I am essentially healed. When I had PF, I wore SAS with custom orthotics fitted to them at work, and Birkenstocks otherwise. The New Balance didn't work for me until my pain was no longer severe and I was feeling at least partly healed. Shoes that didn't work for me at all even then were Nikes and Easy Spirit.

By the way, there are many message boards on this site, and one is called 'Inserts/Orthotics/Shoes'. Your message would be read by a lot more people if it was there. The message board where it was posted is for updates on the mechanics of the heelspurs.com site, like if there are problems with the site, and probably it is not read by as many people.

Carole C

Julie on 11/24/02 at 15:38 (101048)

Here's one person's Ecco story.

For years I wore them all the time: I loved them because they were so foot friendly: they felt like gloves for the feet. But that was the problem: not enough support, and perhaps - I don't know - they contributed to my PF. They were flexible enough to bend everywhere, and a good shoe should bend only at the metatarsal.

When I got PF I stopped wearing them for several months. Then one evening, when I wanted a more 'respectable' shoe than the athletic shoes I now wore, I went out in them - and limped home in agony.

But there are, as Carole said, different styles and lasts in the Ecco range; some are more supportive than others. If yours are, like mine, the type that bend at the arch, stop wearing them and search out shoes with better support.

Al A. on 11/27/02 at 10:55 (101245)

You might want to try the New Balance walking shoe model MW842WG.
Great shoe with plenty of cushioning!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/30/02 at 14:01 (101510)

Why? What advantage do they have over my New Balance 879's and 991's?

Carole C