Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Marshall Faulk still out !!

Posted by BrianG on 11/24/02 at 19:09 (101062)

Marshall Faulk must have PF pretty good, as he missed another game. I guess they are not going to use 'PF' anymore. It's now a 'strained tendon' !!
I wonder if he's had ESWT yet? I really doubt they will make him wait 6 months.

BrianG

NFL.com wire reports   
LANDOVER, Md. (Nov. 24, 2002) -- Marshall Faulk missed his second consecutive game for the St. Louis Rams with ankle and foot injuries.
Faulk was placed on the inactive list 90 minutes before kickoff of the Rams' game against the Washington Redskins . It's only the ninth game Faulk has missed in nine NFL seasons.
He has a sprained right ankle and a strained tendon in his left foot. He had 816 yards on 164 carries this season before sitting out last week's game against the Chicago Bears.
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service
Copyright 2002, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
Get information about upcoming Rams features and live chat events, special sale offers in the NFL Shop and exciting NFL programs in your area!
First Name:
Last Name:
E-mail Address:
In addition to the newsletter, please send me NFL-authorized special offers, products and services.

• Rams at Redskins preview
NFL.COM Help Section (PIPE) Privacy Policy (PIPE) Terms and Conditions© 2002, NFL Enterprises, L.P. NFL and the NFL shield design are registered trademarks of the National Football League. The team names, logos and uniform designs are registered trademarks of the teams indicated. NFL footage © NFL Productions LLC.

Re: Marshall Faulk still out !!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/24/02 at 21:14 (101070)

Maybe the name of his foot professional will leak out. Those football players get some really dynamite professionals working on their health! We should keep our ears open and let people know here if we learn anything. St. Louis is a nice, central location, too.

Carole C

Julie on 11/25/02 at 02:19 (101076)

He probably strained all his tendons, playing with PF!

john h on 11/25/02 at 16:18 (101126)

Julie: I was watching the game when Marshall first went out and the announcer said he had been suffering from a bad case of Plantar Fasciaitis and that he was going into the locker to have it taped. He did have a high ankle strain later in the game which can put you down for a while but you can bet that PF did not go away and they are using the term tendon strain to describe PF which is probably as good a term as any for PF.

BrianG on 11/25/02 at 21:24 (101144)

He actualy has two different injuries. His right leg has the sprained ankle injury. His left foot has the tendon (PF) problem. Supposedly an MRI showed only PF inflamation, no tear. I almost have to laugh, but that is exactlly what my MRI said, after 4 years of chronic PF pain!!!!! But then again, I'm not a world class athlete.

Will he come back this year?
BrianG

Re: what a nightmare for him!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/25/02 at 21:45 (101150)

Whew, it's bad enough 'just' to have PF, but can you imagine having a sprained ankle at the same time like Marshall Faulk? I think that would have been enough to make me just fold up and die. Of course, for the amount of money that he is making I might feel at least reasonably compensated.

From what you are saying, Brian, it seems like the MRI isn't exactly a heaven sent diagnostic tool for PF related problems. I was diagnosed clinically and never had one for my PF, although I had an x-ray that showed heel spurs. After everything you have been through, that MRI must have been infuriating.

Carole C

Kathy G on 11/25/02 at 21:46 (101152)

My guess is that if they can numb him up enough he will because these guys are so afraid they'll lose their edge if they take time off for an injury. And I really don't think that macho football players think PF is that big a deal.

He can use the high ankle sprain as an excuse for a long time. Those are fairly common in the NFL and the guys who have had them say they are very painful and tough to beat.

I ask myself why I am such a fan of such an insane game, especially after Warren Sapp's hit yesterday, but I am!

JudyS on 11/27/02 at 13:26 (101255)

Just thought I'd mention that Marshall Faulk came from San Diego State U....:)

Hey - maybe that's where he and I both got PF!

BrianG on 11/27/02 at 16:34 (101275)

This is the latest. Now they are not even mentioning his PF, or the tendon problem to the left foot! It's eiher healed (I doubt it) or his people don't want to mention it again. How will it play out???? Copied from NFL.com

BrianG

Faulk might miss another game
  NFL.com wire reports   
ST. LOUIS (Nov. 25, 2002) -- Marshall Faulk could miss his third consecutive game when the St. Louis Rams play Dec. 1 at Philadelphia.
Faulk sat out the Rams' 20-17 loss to the Redskins with a high sprain on his right ankle after not practicing all week, and also was out Nov. 18 for a victory against the Bears. He has missed only nine games in eight-plus seasons, but coach Mike Martz said the ankle hasn't improved with rest.
'It does not look like it's progressed much in the last few days or the last week,' Martz said. 'To say he would be ready this week would be a stretch.
'Who knows when we'll have him?'
Martz said last week that team doctors had isolated a 'hot spot' on the ankle that was bothering him the most.
'But there's really nothing you can do about it,' Martz said. 'You can't treat it with cortisone or anything like that because it's a membrane.'
Martz said every game is a one-game season for the Rams (5-6). But that won't factor into any urgency to get Faulk, the NFL's MVP in 2000, back in the lineup because it would risk injury elsewhere if he tried to come back too soon.
'I talked to him at length about it last night,' Martz said. 'I said, 'I know you're frustrated, but you cannot come back until you can play like Marshall on that foot.' '
Faulk's backup, rookie Lamar Gordon, had 108 yards rushing and receiving against the Redskins. Gordon sustained a concussion late in the game but is expected to get clearance to play this week.
Martz said he was hopeful backup quarterback Marc Bulger, who sprained a ligament in his right index finger last week, would be able to practice. Bulger was the No. 3 quarterback for the Redskins game after having trouble throwing the ball in warmups.
Offensive guard Tom Nutten will be sidelined 4-to-6 weeks with a broken left leg. Martz said the team likely would place him on injured reserve.
AP NEWS
Get information about upcoming Rams features and live chat events, special sale offers in the NFL Shop and exciting NFL programs in your area!
First Name:
Last Name:
E-mail Address:
In addition to the newsletter, please send me NFL-authorized special offers, products and services.

NFL.COM Help Section (PIPE) Privacy Policy (PIPE) Terms and Conditions© 2002, NFL Enterprises, L.P. NFL and the NFL shield design are registered trademarks of the National Football League. The team names, logos and uniform designs are registered trademarks of the teams indicated. NFL footage © NFL Productions LLC.

john h on 11/27/02 at 18:20 (101284)

Right on Judy. There was also a good football player from LSU named Faulk.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/27/02 at 19:32 (101289)

I don't know much about LSU football (though I used to follow Aggie football pretty closely at one time).

Guess what they are saying? If LSU wins against Arkansas (fat chance!) then they will be playing on election day, voter turnout will be less, and Mary Landrieu will have less chance of being elected as our U.S. Senator.

Is that utterly SILLY logic or what? LOL

They are also saying that the beginning of duck hunting season on election day favors Suzanne Terrell.

Politics in Louisiana! It's definitely entertaining. I don't care if there's a football game on, or if duck hunting season has started. I can still spare a couple of minutes to go vote.

Carole C

john h on 11/28/02 at 09:34 (101324)

Carole: Arkansas and LSU meet in Little Rock tomorrow for the West Division Championship of the SEC. The winner will play Georgia next week (East Division Champion) for the SEC championship. RV's from both LSU and Arkansas fans are already sitting up as of yesterday. The stadium is sold out (55,000) and the game is on national TV so all the sports bars will be full. Couple this with the busiest shopping day of the year (day after Thanksgiving) and our streets will be bumper to bumper. Tune in for a moment or two and experience the flavor. This is really a big dear around here. LSU is favored by about 3 but it is anyones game. I am excited and I graduated from Nebraska.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 09:37 (101326)

John, what time is the game going to be on national TV? I can get off work at 3:30 tomorrow if I can get in there by 6:00 AM, so maybe I can see some of it (?)

Carole C

Re: never mind

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 09:41 (101328)

Never mind, I checked and it's going to be on at 1:30 here.

The Texas A&M vs Texas game (the most important football game of the year, always!) is going to be at 11:30.

Oh well, those of us who have to earn a living on Friday will just have to see the re-caps on the evening news, I guess. :(

Carole C

john h on 12/02/02 at 08:50 (101586)

Faulk played a few plays in yesterdays loss ot the Eagles. You could tell this was not the same Marshall Faulk. Probably was dumb to play him at all.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/24/02 at 21:14 (101070)

Maybe the name of his foot professional will leak out. Those football players get some really dynamite professionals working on their health! We should keep our ears open and let people know here if we learn anything. St. Louis is a nice, central location, too.

Carole C

Julie on 11/25/02 at 02:19 (101076)

He probably strained all his tendons, playing with PF!

john h on 11/25/02 at 16:18 (101126)

Julie: I was watching the game when Marshall first went out and the announcer said he had been suffering from a bad case of Plantar Fasciaitis and that he was going into the locker to have it taped. He did have a high ankle strain later in the game which can put you down for a while but you can bet that PF did not go away and they are using the term tendon strain to describe PF which is probably as good a term as any for PF.

BrianG on 11/25/02 at 21:24 (101144)

He actualy has two different injuries. His right leg has the sprained ankle injury. His left foot has the tendon (PF) problem. Supposedly an MRI showed only PF inflamation, no tear. I almost have to laugh, but that is exactlly what my MRI said, after 4 years of chronic PF pain!!!!! But then again, I'm not a world class athlete.

Will he come back this year?
BrianG

Re: what a nightmare for him!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/25/02 at 21:45 (101150)

Whew, it's bad enough 'just' to have PF, but can you imagine having a sprained ankle at the same time like Marshall Faulk? I think that would have been enough to make me just fold up and die. Of course, for the amount of money that he is making I might feel at least reasonably compensated.

From what you are saying, Brian, it seems like the MRI isn't exactly a heaven sent diagnostic tool for PF related problems. I was diagnosed clinically and never had one for my PF, although I had an x-ray that showed heel spurs. After everything you have been through, that MRI must have been infuriating.

Carole C

Kathy G on 11/25/02 at 21:46 (101152)

My guess is that if they can numb him up enough he will because these guys are so afraid they'll lose their edge if they take time off for an injury. And I really don't think that macho football players think PF is that big a deal.

He can use the high ankle sprain as an excuse for a long time. Those are fairly common in the NFL and the guys who have had them say they are very painful and tough to beat.

I ask myself why I am such a fan of such an insane game, especially after Warren Sapp's hit yesterday, but I am!

JudyS on 11/27/02 at 13:26 (101255)

Just thought I'd mention that Marshall Faulk came from San Diego State U....:)

Hey - maybe that's where he and I both got PF!

BrianG on 11/27/02 at 16:34 (101275)

This is the latest. Now they are not even mentioning his PF, or the tendon problem to the left foot! It's eiher healed (I doubt it) or his people don't want to mention it again. How will it play out???? Copied from NFL.com

BrianG

Faulk might miss another game
  NFL.com wire reports   
ST. LOUIS (Nov. 25, 2002) -- Marshall Faulk could miss his third consecutive game when the St. Louis Rams play Dec. 1 at Philadelphia.
Faulk sat out the Rams' 20-17 loss to the Redskins with a high sprain on his right ankle after not practicing all week, and also was out Nov. 18 for a victory against the Bears. He has missed only nine games in eight-plus seasons, but coach Mike Martz said the ankle hasn't improved with rest.
'It does not look like it's progressed much in the last few days or the last week,' Martz said. 'To say he would be ready this week would be a stretch.
'Who knows when we'll have him?'
Martz said last week that team doctors had isolated a 'hot spot' on the ankle that was bothering him the most.
'But there's really nothing you can do about it,' Martz said. 'You can't treat it with cortisone or anything like that because it's a membrane.'
Martz said every game is a one-game season for the Rams (5-6). But that won't factor into any urgency to get Faulk, the NFL's MVP in 2000, back in the lineup because it would risk injury elsewhere if he tried to come back too soon.
'I talked to him at length about it last night,' Martz said. 'I said, 'I know you're frustrated, but you cannot come back until you can play like Marshall on that foot.' '
Faulk's backup, rookie Lamar Gordon, had 108 yards rushing and receiving against the Redskins. Gordon sustained a concussion late in the game but is expected to get clearance to play this week.
Martz said he was hopeful backup quarterback Marc Bulger, who sprained a ligament in his right index finger last week, would be able to practice. Bulger was the No. 3 quarterback for the Redskins game after having trouble throwing the ball in warmups.
Offensive guard Tom Nutten will be sidelined 4-to-6 weeks with a broken left leg. Martz said the team likely would place him on injured reserve.
AP NEWS
First Name:
Last Name:
E-mail Address:

john h on 11/27/02 at 18:20 (101284)

Right on Judy. There was also a good football player from LSU named Faulk.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/27/02 at 19:32 (101289)

I don't know much about LSU football (though I used to follow Aggie football pretty closely at one time).

Guess what they are saying? If LSU wins against Arkansas (fat chance!) then they will be playing on election day, voter turnout will be less, and Mary Landrieu will have less chance of being elected as our U.S. Senator.

Is that utterly SILLY logic or what? LOL

They are also saying that the beginning of duck hunting season on election day favors Suzanne Terrell.

Politics in Louisiana! It's definitely entertaining. I don't care if there's a football game on, or if duck hunting season has started. I can still spare a couple of minutes to go vote.

Carole C

john h on 11/28/02 at 09:34 (101324)

Carole: Arkansas and LSU meet in Little Rock tomorrow for the West Division Championship of the SEC. The winner will play Georgia next week (East Division Champion) for the SEC championship. RV's from both LSU and Arkansas fans are already sitting up as of yesterday. The stadium is sold out (55,000) and the game is on national TV so all the sports bars will be full. Couple this with the busiest shopping day of the year (day after Thanksgiving) and our streets will be bumper to bumper. Tune in for a moment or two and experience the flavor. This is really a big dear around here. LSU is favored by about 3 but it is anyones game. I am excited and I graduated from Nebraska.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 09:37 (101326)

John, what time is the game going to be on national TV? I can get off work at 3:30 tomorrow if I can get in there by 6:00 AM, so maybe I can see some of it (?)

Carole C

Re: never mind

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 09:41 (101328)

Never mind, I checked and it's going to be on at 1:30 here.

The Texas A&M vs Texas game (the most important football game of the year, always!) is going to be at 11:30.

Oh well, those of us who have to earn a living on Friday will just have to see the re-caps on the evening news, I guess. :(

Carole C

john h on 12/02/02 at 08:50 (101586)

Faulk played a few plays in yesterdays loss ot the Eagles. You could tell this was not the same Marshall Faulk. Probably was dumb to play him at all.