Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ruptured tibal tendon

Posted by Jerrie R. on 11/24/02 at 20:15 (101065)

In June 2002 I had foot surgery to repair a ruptured tibal tendon,
the tendon was torn so badley that it could not be repaired, so now
I am in pain all the time and I have a flat foot and I have to wear
orthotics in my shoes. I am only 53 years old and I wan't to know if there is any thing I can do about this? I am to young to retire but I am in a lot
of pain. I don't blame the doctor because I walked on it for a long time
after the rupture.

Re: ruptured tibal tendon

BrianG on 11/24/02 at 21:09 (101069)

Hi Jerrie,

If the doctors cannot help you, have you considered going to a pain management doctor / clinic? It can do wonders for your quality of life.

Regards
BrianG, not a doc

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/25/02 at 15:52 (101121)

If the tendon was ruptured/torn beyond repair, there are basically 2 surgical options. Sometimes it is possible to 'split' an adjacent tendon and reroute that tendon to function similar to the torn tendon. The procedure that usually results in the greatest long term relief is a fusion of the joints in the involved area. This is a significant surgery, but usually results in eventual relief of pain.

BrianG on 11/24/02 at 21:09 (101069)

Hi Jerrie,

If the doctors cannot help you, have you considered going to a pain management doctor / clinic? It can do wonders for your quality of life.

Regards
BrianG, not a doc

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/25/02 at 15:52 (101121)

If the tendon was ruptured/torn beyond repair, there are basically 2 surgical options. Sometimes it is possible to 'split' an adjacent tendon and reroute that tendon to function similar to the torn tendon. The procedure that usually results in the greatest long term relief is a fusion of the joints in the involved area. This is a significant surgery, but usually results in eventual relief of pain.