Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

X-Ray reveals spurr

Posted by Scott G. on 11/25/02 at 08:40 (101079)

After great pain in my heel I went to the doctor and he said that I do have PF and an X--Ray revealed a pea size heel spur. I play B-Ball 3 times a week and he suggested that still play. He wrapped my heel and gave me some pads to wear in my shoes. Today will be the first day I will play b-ball again. If it still hurts, which I imagine it will, is this a good rememdy? Also, what is the reccomendations to deal with heel spurrs?

Re: X-Ray reveals spurr

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/25/02 at 15:49 (101119)

There are numerous options listed in Scott's 'book' on this website regarding the treatment of plantar fasciitis. The wrapping and pads your doctor applied are an excellent first step. There are many other options including ice, rest, change of shoes, weight loss, change of activity, custom or OTC orthoses, anti-inflammatories, night splints, injections, physical therappy, surgery and extra-corporeal shock wave therapy.

Although patients often can not accept this fact, the actual heel spur rarely, if ever is the cause of the discomfort. Therefore, most doctors treating this condition, treat the inflamed plantar fascia and NOT the spur. Speak with your doctor for a thorough explanation.

Re: X-Ray reveals spurr

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/25/02 at 15:49 (101119)

There are numerous options listed in Scott's 'book' on this website regarding the treatment of plantar fasciitis. The wrapping and pads your doctor applied are an excellent first step. There are many other options including ice, rest, change of shoes, weight loss, change of activity, custom or OTC orthoses, anti-inflammatories, night splints, injections, physical therappy, surgery and extra-corporeal shock wave therapy.

Although patients often can not accept this fact, the actual heel spur rarely, if ever is the cause of the discomfort. Therefore, most doctors treating this condition, treat the inflamed plantar fascia and NOT the spur. Speak with your doctor for a thorough explanation.