Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotics; PF / Collapsing arch

Posted by EKC on 11/25/02 at 09:36 (101083)

I have high arches. Orthotics have never helped.
Although my diagnosis is PF (5+ years now), I wonder
if my arches are wanting to collapse. Are there
different orthotics for collapsing arches? How long
does it take for an arch to collapse? Weeks, years?
What is the difference in pain between PF and a collapsing arch?

Re: Orthotics; PF / Collapsing arch

Richard, C.Ped on 12/02/02 at 08:14 (101584)

I think that if the orthotics do not fit your foot correctly, your foot will still collapse thus creating stress on the fascia. What you do not want in and orthosis for pes cavus feet is to push the foot in a more supinated position. I sometimes add lateral wedges to mine in order to have the ankle in a more neutral position. I use the materials the doc wants or what we think might be best. I judge it on the patients condition and severity of injury.

As far as I know, there is no specific timeline for arches to collapse. I have patients ranging from teenagers to older...over 80 that have their arches collapse. Their pain has ranged from their heel, arch, and ankle.

Richard

Re: Orthotics; PF / Collapsing arch

Richard, C.Ped on 12/02/02 at 08:14 (101584)

I think that if the orthotics do not fit your foot correctly, your foot will still collapse thus creating stress on the fascia. What you do not want in and orthosis for pes cavus feet is to push the foot in a more supinated position. I sometimes add lateral wedges to mine in order to have the ankle in a more neutral position. I use the materials the doc wants or what we think might be best. I judge it on the patients condition and severity of injury.

As far as I know, there is no specific timeline for arches to collapse. I have patients ranging from teenagers to older...over 80 that have their arches collapse. Their pain has ranged from their heel, arch, and ankle.

Richard