Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what to wear?

Posted by Kari B on 11/25/02 at 10:09 (101087)

Hi all!
I wasn't really sure which board to post this to, but I figured I could put it here and maybe get some suggestions (or someone will tell me which board I would get more answers from LOL). This sounds to me like a dumb question, but I am rather worried about it. My surgery for tts release is scheduled Dec 3rd for outpatient basis... and I don't know what I should wear to and from the hospital. I have to be there at 6 am and am the first one scheduled at 7..... but here's my dilemma: The dr told me that when I am done with the surgery there will be 'a rather large, soft, white cast type thing on my foot' so, I dont know what to wear. I know it should be something stretchy, but what if the article of clothing I choose to wear isn't big enough around my foot to get the cast through?? I know this sounds really dumb doesn't it? Will the nurses cut my clothes to get my foot through if they have to? Will they just send me home in my robe?? I just want to be prepared when I go to the hospital so I know what to take with me and such as I will be having general anasthesia and probably won't be real awake when I get ready to go home. If anyone feels like making some suggestions, please do. I have a feeling this is just anxiety about the surgery, but I would probably feel alot better if I know what to expect. Thanks for everything.
Kari

Re: cheap cotton sweatpants are a great choice (nm)

elliott on 11/25/02 at 11:08 (101092)

Kathy G on 11/25/02 at 13:05 (101106)

Kari,

Elliott's right. And it certainly wasn't a stupid question! When my son broke his leg, he lived in sweat pants because they were the only thing that would go around his cast.

I'll bet you'll be glad when it's all over with, huh? We'll all be thinking of you!

Kari B on 11/25/02 at 13:59 (101109)

Thanks both of you! I have been living in sweats for the last few months as well. A fracture to my foot is what caused my tts so I've gone from a regular cast to an air cast... the problem is though that even my sweat pants don't fit over the air cast so I put them inside the boot when I get dressed... so do you think the sweats would fit over whatever dressing it is that my dr was talking about? Either way, a cheap pair of sweats probably is the best bet though, that way if they have to cut the pant leg to fit over it, its not a big deal. And yes, I will definitely be glad to have it all over with. Thank you both!
Kari

Re: or wind pants with long zippers on the bottoms (nm)

elliott on 11/25/02 at 14:10 (101112)

Re: what to wear?

Necee on 11/28/02 at 01:12 (101307)

Good luck with the surgery Kari!!
Your question wasn't dumb, it's always good to be prepared when coming home from the hosp. Sweat pants, or those warm-up pants with the zippers down the legs sounds great to me.
Let us know how it goes.

Happy trails.....

Necee

elliott on 11/25/02 at 11:08 (101092)

Kathy G on 11/25/02 at 13:05 (101106)

Kari,

Elliott's right. And it certainly wasn't a stupid question! When my son broke his leg, he lived in sweat pants because they were the only thing that would go around his cast.

I'll bet you'll be glad when it's all over with, huh? We'll all be thinking of you!

Kari B on 11/25/02 at 13:59 (101109)

Thanks both of you! I have been living in sweats for the last few months as well. A fracture to my foot is what caused my tts so I've gone from a regular cast to an air cast... the problem is though that even my sweat pants don't fit over the air cast so I put them inside the boot when I get dressed... so do you think the sweats would fit over whatever dressing it is that my dr was talking about? Either way, a cheap pair of sweats probably is the best bet though, that way if they have to cut the pant leg to fit over it, its not a big deal. And yes, I will definitely be glad to have it all over with. Thank you both!
Kari

Re: or wind pants with long zippers on the bottoms (nm)

elliott on 11/25/02 at 14:10 (101112)

Re: what to wear?

Necee on 11/28/02 at 01:12 (101307)

Good luck with the surgery Kari!!
Your question wasn't dumb, it's always good to be prepared when coming home from the hosp. Sweat pants, or those warm-up pants with the zippers down the legs sounds great to me.
Let us know how it goes.

Happy trails.....

Necee