Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT for PF and thin heel pad?

Posted by Jen on 11/25/02 at 12:26 (101102)

Dear doctors and everyone,

Things would be simpler if I had only PF. On my last pod's visit I was told I have very thin heel pad. And part of the inflammatin is of this reason. I was not surprised to hear it, since I know I was not born with a strongly thick heel pads, and two injections for PT did not do anything good. My question is can ESWT still be helpfull to cure the PF in my case? What impact it may have on thin heel pads? Will it help it too or make it even thinner?
I was excluded for the big O ESWT trial in New York city, but I don't think I can not be a candidate for ESWT treatment from other doctors/clinics?

Your comment or advise is greatly appreciated.

Re: ESWT for PF and thin heel pad?

Jen on 11/25/02 at 12:32 (101103)

I'm using a pair of cusionary heel cups given by the doctor. Anything else should I do to strengthen my heel pads?

Thanks in advance.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/25/02 at 18:24 (101135)

Why did they exclude you for the trial.??

Jen on 11/26/02 at 08:25 (101175)

The doctor said I'm not a candidate because my heel problem is not a typical clear-cut PF. I guess what he mainly concerned is the statistics of the trial result. If I took part in the trial but not make a successful case it would make the success rate less meaningful.
Do you doctors have any experience treating patients with ESWT, who has similar heel situation?

Dr. Z on 11/27/02 at 18:13 (101282)

Decrease fat padding is a factor for inclusion or exclusion for eswt. Just because you have a decrease in fat paddings DOESN'T means that you aren't an eswt candidate.

Jen on 11/30/02 at 15:49 (101514)

Thank you Dr.Z. You confirmed my hope that if all the conservative methods do not work I still have the ESWT to try. I will not have surgery -period. I think sooner or later I will go and see you for evaluation.

Jen on 11/25/02 at 12:32 (101103)

I'm using a pair of cusionary heel cups given by the doctor. Anything else should I do to strengthen my heel pads?

Thanks in advance.

Dr. Zuckerman on 11/25/02 at 18:24 (101135)

Why did they exclude you for the trial.??

Jen on 11/26/02 at 08:25 (101175)

The doctor said I'm not a candidate because my heel problem is not a typical clear-cut PF. I guess what he mainly concerned is the statistics of the trial result. If I took part in the trial but not make a successful case it would make the success rate less meaningful.
Do you doctors have any experience treating patients with ESWT, who has similar heel situation?

Dr. Z on 11/27/02 at 18:13 (101282)

Decrease fat padding is a factor for inclusion or exclusion for eswt. Just because you have a decrease in fat paddings DOESN'T means that you aren't an eswt candidate.

Jen on 11/30/02 at 15:49 (101514)

Thank you Dr.Z. You confirmed my hope that if all the conservative methods do not work I still have the ESWT to try. I will not have surgery -period. I think sooner or later I will go and see you for evaluation.