Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bunion Suggery

Posted by Jacqueline H on 11/26/02 at 16:50 (101203)

Looking for people who have had bunion surgery.

Re: Bunion Suggery

wendyn on 11/26/02 at 20:11 (101213)

Yes?

Cindy K. on 12/08/02 at 19:34 (102287)

I had bunion surgery on my left foot on Oct. 11th. Doctor said mine was a 'mild case,' but he put two screws in my toe. I wore a surgical shoe and then a splint to get around, and I had to stay in the splint for about 6 weeks because I could not fit into any shoe, not even a sneaker. My foot remained very swollen and stiff. It is now 8 weeks out, I have transferred to a sneaker which has to be a size too large and with an open back. I still cannot fit into my own sneakers nor my shoes and have no idea when this will be. My doctor is pretty useless at this point; he sent me to physical therapy.
When I walk, I experience pain in my foot -- all the toes on my left foot hurt.
What is your story? I'm looking for anything that can help. I used to be pretty active and am dying to get going again.

Dr. Z on 12/08/02 at 21:33 (102303)

What kind of physical therapy are you doing . I like ultrasound, electrical stimulation and manuel range of motion of the big toe joint

Cindy K. on 12/09/02 at 08:49 (102330)

Posted by Dr. Z on 12/08/02 at 21:33
What kind of physical therapy are you doing . I like ultrasound, electrical stimulation and manuel range of motion of the big toe joint

Reply: That's what I've been doing, pretty much. But it is normal 8 weeks out to not be able to fit into a shoe? I don't know of anybody who had this problem. Also the constant pain when I walk. I did this surgery to get RID of the pain, not increase it.
Thanks, Cindy

Gloriann O on 12/09/02 at 10:11 (102342)

I had bunion, bunionette, and hammer toe fixed a month ago. Had 2 pins in the big toe and 2 pins in the little toe. Pins were removed at 4 weeks. I'm still wearing a darco shoe and can't drive. I'm finding moving the toes difficult and keep trying. Stiff. I also feel, not always that the bottom of my foot just under my toes has been stuffed with something. It moves around and sometimes goes away briefly. I have not had much swelling. I see the Dr. tomorrow and hope I at least I get a flat shoe. I should be able to get into a bigger pair of sneakers when he says to go for it. I found the recovery a lot different then I thought. I didn't think it would be so long and involved.

The most painful part was the Athletes foot that showed up during the fourth week from having the foot warm and wrapped because of the pins. That cleared up quickly once I got some cream and the pins removed so the foot could get some air. Never had Athletes foot like that.

Good Luck! I hope it's all worth it.

Jean P on 1/07/03 at 23:36 (105075)

Bunion surgery two years ago. Surgery #3 this week to correct bunion surgery. My problem was twofold: One: Nerves imbedded in scar tissue Two: Sesamoid bone had to be removed. I have had great pain since the bunion surgery. More than before. Have not worn 'real' shoes in 2 years.

Cindy K. on 1/08/03 at 08:52 (105088)

Jean,
My heart goes out to you. Were the nerves and sesamoid bone problem a result of the surgery? If so, are you holding the surgeon accountable? I do hope this third surgery will work for you. Please write again. Cindy

wendyn on 11/26/02 at 20:11 (101213)

Yes?

Cindy K. on 12/08/02 at 19:34 (102287)

I had bunion surgery on my left foot on Oct. 11th. Doctor said mine was a 'mild case,' but he put two screws in my toe. I wore a surgical shoe and then a splint to get around, and I had to stay in the splint for about 6 weeks because I could not fit into any shoe, not even a sneaker. My foot remained very swollen and stiff. It is now 8 weeks out, I have transferred to a sneaker which has to be a size too large and with an open back. I still cannot fit into my own sneakers nor my shoes and have no idea when this will be. My doctor is pretty useless at this point; he sent me to physical therapy.
When I walk, I experience pain in my foot -- all the toes on my left foot hurt.
What is your story? I'm looking for anything that can help. I used to be pretty active and am dying to get going again.

Dr. Z on 12/08/02 at 21:33 (102303)

Cindy K. on 12/09/02 at 08:49 (102330)

Posted by Dr. Z on 12/08/02 at 21:33

Reply: That's what I've been doing, pretty much. But it is normal 8 weeks out to not be able to fit into a shoe? I don't know of anybody who had this problem. Also the constant pain when I walk. I did this surgery to get RID of the pain, not increase it.
Thanks, Cindy

Gloriann O on 12/09/02 at 10:11 (102342)

I had bunion, bunionette, and hammer toe fixed a month ago. Had 2 pins in the big toe and 2 pins in the little toe. Pins were removed at 4 weeks. I'm still wearing a darco shoe and can't drive. I'm finding moving the toes difficult and keep trying. Stiff. I also feel, not always that the bottom of my foot just under my toes has been stuffed with something. It moves around and sometimes goes away briefly. I have not had much swelling. I see the Dr. tomorrow and hope I at least I get a flat shoe. I should be able to get into a bigger pair of sneakers when he says to go for it. I found the recovery a lot different then I thought. I didn't think it would be so long and involved.

The most painful part was the Athletes foot that showed up during the fourth week from having the foot warm and wrapped because of the pins. That cleared up quickly once I got some cream and the pins removed so the foot could get some air. Never had Athletes foot like that.

Good Luck! I hope it's all worth it.

Jean P on 1/07/03 at 23:36 (105075)

Bunion surgery two years ago. Surgery #3 this week to correct bunion surgery. My problem was twofold: One: Nerves imbedded in scar tissue Two: Sesamoid bone had to be removed. I have had great pain since the bunion surgery. More than before. Have not worn 'real' shoes in 2 years.

Cindy K. on 1/08/03 at 08:52 (105088)

Jean,
My heart goes out to you. Were the nerves and sesamoid bone problem a result of the surgery? If so, are you holding the surgeon accountable? I do hope this third surgery will work for you. Please write again. Cindy