Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Am I Possible/Strong Candidate for ESWT?

Posted by Scott Reeves on 11/27/02 at 01:26 (101230)

I have been suffering from foot/feet pain since December 1999. In that time, I have had the following done:

Left foot -

cortisone shots
orthotics
rest
casting
night splints
purchasing of lots of shoes and inserts
lots of ice, rest, and contrast baths
mri before surgery - nothing showed up
surgery for plantar fascitis/nerve entrapment 02/16/01

--- after surgery

more purchasing of lots of shoes and inserts (my wife is jealous of my collection)
more orthotics and numerous tweaks to them
lots of ice, rest, and contrast baths
mri post surgery on left foot only - showed significant tendonosis
nerve conduction - nothing abnormal
bone scan - nothing abnormal
blood tests for rheumatoid arthritis - negative
Physical therapy (just completed 11/02) - received both iontophoresis and phonopheresis with deep tissue massage (mostly on the right foot)

After the surgery, I have been on and off again with foot pain in both feet. The surgery I would categorize as a success since it alleviated a lot of pain and I was able to do activities I could not do before surgery. I even got better and had no pain for a short period of 2001.

Currently, my right foot is causing the most pain. I cannot stand for any length of time, but if I keep moving (walking) I am ok but usually feel it afterwards (in both feet).

It's bizarre because I have good days and then bad ones and it changes from foot to foot. Sometimes just one and other times both. And though I have not done so in about a month, I could play basketball with no pain when I play, but I cannot run as my right foot really acts up. It is a strange situation.

Again, standing is the worst.

I am 34 years-old and in good health - except for the feet, of course.

My question is do you see me as a potential candidate for ESWT? If so, would it be considered for both feet or just my right (non-surgery foot) since I have had a plantar fasciotomy and nerve entrapment release?

While I am by no means rich, I am willing to spend the money if needed to find the best possible solution. I know nothing is guaranteed, but I am looking for best options.

I want to get back to doing triathlons and being active. This has gone on far too long. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott Reeves

Re: Am I Possible/Strong Candidate for ESWT?

john h on 11/27/02 at 11:36 (101250)

Scott: I would say to give up basketball buddy. It does not get much worse than that for PF. This from a lifetime noontime basketball player.

Dr. Z on 11/27/02 at 13:21 (101254)

We have done ESWT for chronic plantar fasciitis with very good results. The indications are pain on examination where the plantar fascia attaches to the bottom of the heel bone. There needs to be damage to the pf which can be evaluated by an ultrasound examination. IF you would like our ESWT packet let me know by e-mail Dr. Z at (email removed)

john h on 11/27/02 at 11:36 (101250)

Scott: I would say to give up basketball buddy. It does not get much worse than that for PF. This from a lifetime noontime basketball player.

Dr. Z on 11/27/02 at 13:21 (101254)

We have done ESWT for chronic plantar fasciitis with very good results. The indications are pain on examination where the plantar fascia attaches to the bottom of the heel bone. There needs to be damage to the pf which can be evaluated by an ultrasound examination. IF you would like our ESWT packet let me know by e-mail Dr. Z at (email removed)