Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Numb big toe

Posted by Joe B on 11/27/02 at 12:05 (101253)

Question:
Would you consider this a major concern or minor?

Condition:
My left big toe is numb from the middle of the toe joint to the tip. It has been this way for about 6 months, maybe longer. The onset was very slow so it's hard to pin point when this began.

History:
I jammed this toe playing soccer bare foot when I was about 17 years old. This toe has always been stiff and problematic since. I have been off/on very athletic, i.e. I have been in really bad physical condition and really good physical condition over the years. I had a case of Planar Fasciitis about 5 years ago, the last time I was in really good shape. Since I decided to start training to do some Triathlons I have gone to the Pediatrist and am wearing orthotics, I use control shoes for running, I am currently nursing an injury to my ankle/top of my foot. I am 35, 5'9', 205lbs (w/ a goal of 190lbs by Xmas and 170 by next year), ~12 to 16% body fat, and other than overweight and high cholesterol generally healthy.

Thanks Joe.

Re: Numb big toe

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/27/02 at 21:02 (101295)

Hi joe:

I would have it checked out. Do you have back problems?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Joe B on 11/29/02 at 08:29 (101392)

Firstly, thanks very much for replying. No, my back is actually just fine (knock on wood). I injured this toe years ago, and I suspect that it has gotten worse. I just visited a Pediatrist to get some orthotics, but forgot to ask about my toe (since I was also concerned with a sprained ankle). I have another appointment with the Pediatrist in about six months, and will definitely discuss the toe then (they took x-rays this past time). I'm not really that worried about the toe and am willing to live with a toe that has no feeling, but would rather have feeling in my toe. Do you think I may be doing irreversable damage by waiting all this time? Is waiting another six months too long? P.S. I also do a lot of road biking, is it possible to cause loss of sensation in the toe from biking?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/27/02 at 21:02 (101295)

Hi joe:

I would have it checked out. Do you have back problems?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Joe B on 11/29/02 at 08:29 (101392)

Firstly, thanks very much for replying. No, my back is actually just fine (knock on wood). I injured this toe years ago, and I suspect that it has gotten worse. I just visited a Pediatrist to get some orthotics, but forgot to ask about my toe (since I was also concerned with a sprained ankle). I have another appointment with the Pediatrist in about six months, and will definitely discuss the toe then (they took x-rays this past time). I'm not really that worried about the toe and am willing to live with a toe that has no feeling, but would rather have feeling in my toe. Do you think I may be doing irreversable damage by waiting all this time? Is waiting another six months too long? P.S. I also do a lot of road biking, is it possible to cause loss of sensation in the toe from biking?