Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FS. getting so i hate to even utter the word

Posted by sharon on 11/27/02 at 16:26 (101274)

looking at the description of the typical FS sufferer. 40 yr old female. overwght but not grossly. i work on my feet. i have for years. started an exercise regime in the winter of last year. in the spring the pain in my heels started to become unbearable. it seemed my feet have taken over my life. last summer it was my toe. a spur cuasing serious pain, needed to be removed. because of that i couldnt wear heavy hard sneakers. anything that might rubb the healing toe. by the winter i was back to wearing normal shoes and sneakers. does this have anything to do with my pain now. does my wght. does the fact that i started working out. using a stair stepper and stationary bike. working on my feet. flat feet. i wish someone could tell me what rte to take to get this healed . the podatrist gave me shots. the first 2 helped immensly for just about a mnth then wore off. the last was useless. the ortho now says those patients that recieved more than 2 of the shots take longer to heal. he ordered mri to rule out any other explainations. i sorta hoped it would be something that a cast could heal. a few weeks in it and wham thankyou . back to life. no such luck. do the stretches, i do. the ice yes, i have been looking at this nite splint, its huge and bulky. i hate wearing socks to sleep in. plus its costly. hell i am living on 3/4 pay. cuz i cant work. not in the pain i am in. after leaving the dr's office. tried to talk myself into believing its not so bad. then began reading some of the postings. burst into tears of frustration. i am not a runner nor an athletic just a regular 40 yr mom who wants to be able to walk the dog go to work. go grocery or cloths shopping and not limp out in a half hour. the doc doesnt give any encouraging news. or advice. most people i have talked to if they know of Pf say they have had bouts of it. a few weeks or mnths. so why is this taking so long for me. if its possibly permenant i would rather know. maybe pt or the surgery then but this bs of keep doing the damm stretchs. yes the help if i dont walk anywhere. i know a few family members and friends think i am (a) either faking or (b) making more of it than it is.
i wish they could feel my pain after a trip to get some groceries.

Re: FS. getting so i hate to even utter the word

Necee on 11/28/02 at 00:56 (101305)

Hi Sharon,
I understand your frustration. When we are in pain especially those of us with PF, it changes our lives completely. There are lots of people who look at foot pain as no big deal, well I've got news for them, it IS a big deal, and only until they walk in our shoes can they fully understand.

You must keep a positive outlook Sharon, don't allow those negative thoughts to enter your mind. I know it feels like there is no end in sight, but believe me, there is light at the end of that tunnel.

The whole process of healing from PF, and other foot problems takes time, just as loosing weight takes time....there is no quick fix, I wish there was, I'd be the first one in line! I was diagnosed with a heelspur 2 yrs ago, and at that time my pain level was a 10, I was literally limping on the side of my foot, which was causing ankle and back problems. Now my pain level is a 1-3. My course of action was to NOT let a Dr cut on my foot, but rather take the conservative approach. Which was also the advice given to me by 2 Drs.
They both advised me to wear good support shoes, rest as much as possible, take anti-inflammatory meds, ice and stretch several times a day.
The first thing I did was buy a pair of Birkenstock shoes, the moment I put them on I could feel a difference, they aren't for everyone, but thank goodness they sure worked for me.

Take time to rest as much as possible, you mentioned that you were working out, are you wearing good support shoes during those workouts? Also, ask questions here, there is a wealth of information on this board, and many caring and compassionate people who truly understand what your going through and can give suggestions on how to overcome this.

Good luck and...

happy trails.....

Necee

sharon on 11/28/02 at 21:57 (101369)

thanks for your support. yes i do wear the best shoes for my feet. i have for years due to working on my feet. con't do that last summer when i had a serious corn on my right baby toe. had to have the malformation removed, i wonder if this had a bearing on the right foot being worse then left. i am not working out like i should. first problem is the gym i was using is at my job, at this time i am on temp short term disablity. i am not allowed in the blding. being pd 3/4 pay doesn't allow for extra to join an outside gym. so if someone has some suggestions on things to do at home from a sitting position that a good aerobic exercise. most of my fears come from my employer is going through financial pressures and cutting expense's. i am afraid i will become a financail burden and be laid off. no job no health insurance. no health insurcance no doc. then what do i do. how long do i rest before i bite the bullet and go back to work even if it means working in pain. i work with disabled adults in a day service cntr. there is alot of walking and standing involved, supposedly they have changed some things. will it be better or worse in the lng run. i have been out now nearly 2 mnths had 3 cortisone shots. starting in june of 2002. how long do i sit and do nothing..

Necee on 11/28/02 at 00:56 (101305)

Hi Sharon,
I understand your frustration. When we are in pain especially those of us with PF, it changes our lives completely. There are lots of people who look at foot pain as no big deal, well I've got news for them, it IS a big deal, and only until they walk in our shoes can they fully understand.

You must keep a positive outlook Sharon, don't allow those negative thoughts to enter your mind. I know it feels like there is no end in sight, but believe me, there is light at the end of that tunnel.

The whole process of healing from PF, and other foot problems takes time, just as loosing weight takes time....there is no quick fix, I wish there was, I'd be the first one in line! I was diagnosed with a heelspur 2 yrs ago, and at that time my pain level was a 10, I was literally limping on the side of my foot, which was causing ankle and back problems. Now my pain level is a 1-3. My course of action was to NOT let a Dr cut on my foot, but rather take the conservative approach. Which was also the advice given to me by 2 Drs.
They both advised me to wear good support shoes, rest as much as possible, take anti-inflammatory meds, ice and stretch several times a day.
The first thing I did was buy a pair of Birkenstock shoes, the moment I put them on I could feel a difference, they aren't for everyone, but thank goodness they sure worked for me.

Take time to rest as much as possible, you mentioned that you were working out, are you wearing good support shoes during those workouts? Also, ask questions here, there is a wealth of information on this board, and many caring and compassionate people who truly understand what your going through and can give suggestions on how to overcome this.

Good luck and...

happy trails.....

Necee

sharon on 11/28/02 at 21:57 (101369)

thanks for your support. yes i do wear the best shoes for my feet. i have for years due to working on my feet. con't do that last summer when i had a serious corn on my right baby toe. had to have the malformation removed, i wonder if this had a bearing on the right foot being worse then left. i am not working out like i should. first problem is the gym i was using is at my job, at this time i am on temp short term disablity. i am not allowed in the blding. being pd 3/4 pay doesn't allow for extra to join an outside gym. so if someone has some suggestions on things to do at home from a sitting position that a good aerobic exercise. most of my fears come from my employer is going through financial pressures and cutting expense's. i am afraid i will become a financail burden and be laid off. no job no health insurance. no health insurcance no doc. then what do i do. how long do i rest before i bite the bullet and go back to work even if it means working in pain. i work with disabled adults in a day service cntr. there is alot of walking and standing involved, supposedly they have changed some things. will it be better or worse in the lng run. i have been out now nearly 2 mnths had 3 cortisone shots. starting in june of 2002. how long do i sit and do nothing..