Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I had surgery on both feet,now my doc recommends EWST

Posted by Linda on 11/27/02 at 22:58 (101301)

I had tarsal tunnel release,fascia release,and heel spurs removed on both feet. my right was done 12/14/01, and my left 3/29/02. I was pain free for 2 months. Well, now the pain is so intense,it is the worst pain i have ever had. It is even worse now after surgery than it was before. My insurance company won't cover Electrowave shock therapy, but my podiatrist put me on a list for a case study of the treatment at massachusetts general hospital.
I was just wondering, how they pick candidates,and if i qualify if it's both feet.

Re: Sounds like you have it bad!

BrianG on 11/28/02 at 19:47 (101362)

Hi Linda,

You were a little vague, but it sounds like your Pod put you on a list for ESWT treatment at MGH, is that correct? I have looked into a couple different ESWT trials, and neither will take anyone who has had foot, or heel, surgery. Also, and I'd hate to believe this, but your doctor might be signing you up for the Dornier ESWT trials that were held about 3 years ago at MGH!! I hope thats not the case, but I have not heard anything about MGH getting involved in any new trials.

Personally, I think trials are a good way to go. In the past, the FDA has required that 50% of the participants receive a placebo. When the trial is over, the patients with the placebo will be usually be offered the real thing. Intertesting enough, numerous people with the placebo treatment recovered. Why don't you ask your doctor for more information, and then get back to us. Ask your doctor the name of the machine, how long the trials will last, and when the trials begin.

Good luck
BrianG

PS: If your pain is really unbearable, I'd advise you see a pain management doctor, or clinic. I believe there is one at MGH. If not, go to: http://www.pain.com
Scroll to near the bottom of the home page, and you'll see a link for pain clinics in every city.

Linda on 11/29/02 at 07:42 (101389)

He talked about half of the patients receiveing a placebo,and about if you do receive it, they offer the real thing in the end. How could they recover from a placebo?
Thank you for the advice, and i think i'm gonna go see a pain management doctor,because i can't last longer than 10 minutes now on my feet. On a scale of 1-10 my pain level at it's worse is about 30. It is so much worse than before surgery. I told my foot doctor i regret getting it done. I will find out when the trials begin,and he said it will last about 3 months. He went to a seminar a couple of weeks ago on it.

dave r on 11/29/02 at 09:41 (101399)

What type of a plantar release did you have? Was it the traditional open procedure or the epf procedure?

Linda on 11/29/02 at 15:21 (101425)

I had The traditional open procedure,because at the same time i had tarsal tunnel release,and heel spur excision

J. King on 12/02/02 at 09:01 (101587)

Brian

What do you know about upcoming trials for EWST. I live in Florida. I wonder if the Veterans Administration does EWST.

John King

John King

Re: "Search" for new trials

BrianG on 12/02/02 at 21:48 (101626)

I haven't heard of any new PF trials, since the Dornier was approved. I know that a Pod in NY is trying to resurect the old Orbie, by performing some trials for the FDA. You could probably find what your looking for by doing a little research. I'd start with: http://www.fda.gov
There is a search feature at the bottom of the home page. You could also use a search engine like Google, it seems to be the best out there. It's not always easy to find this info, as everyone seems to want to hold their cards close to the chest until they are ready for an announcement.

Regards
BrianG

LINDA on 12/03/02 at 06:40 (101635)

My doc says the trial i am on a waiting list for doesn't have a definite date,or place yet. All he can say is it will be in Boston. For now, I am going to go thr 6 more weeks of physical therapy. Hopefully it will give me some relief.
thank you for the info. I am going to look into that.

BrianG on 12/04/02 at 13:10 (101788)

Hi Linda,

If you could at least get the name of the ESWT machine that will be used in the upcoming trial, we could probably dig up quite a bit of information on it. Like if it's being used in Europe, approved for anything besides PF, etc. I have to believe that your doctor has at least that much information (the name).

Good luck with the PT.
BrianG

Linda on 12/04/02 at 17:40 (101795)

I called to get info from the Doctor's office. The Assistant told me all she was told by the doc was it was going to be set in boston,and she would contact me and ask him what machine,what hospital,all that stuff as soon as she hears anything.

I start physical therapy monday. I am hoping it helps,because i have pain worse than i have ever had it in my life right now. it really stinks. I am now totally regretting having the surgery.
thanks for your response

trish e on 12/09/02 at 12:20 (102351)

boy do i feel for you i only had my left foot done and it made it worse to i can't imagine having both done.good luck to ya.

Linda on 12/09/02 at 17:40 (102413)

Thanks.
I started physical therapy again today. The therapist said i have almost no range of motion in my right foot, and my left foot is about 50%.
He said he can't believe my fascia in my right foot is so tight again.
He didn't believe me when i told him i was stretching, but then i went over with what i have done in the past year that would have aggravated it,and we figured it out.
I felt great for august,so i went back to the gym and started running again on the treadmill,and doing all the machines. I even did heel raises, which he told me i can't ever do them again,and i should have never done them at all.
I guess i'm paying big time for my mistake
thanks,again

BrianG on 11/28/02 at 19:47 (101362)

Hi Linda,

You were a little vague, but it sounds like your Pod put you on a list for ESWT treatment at MGH, is that correct? I have looked into a couple different ESWT trials, and neither will take anyone who has had foot, or heel, surgery. Also, and I'd hate to believe this, but your doctor might be signing you up for the Dornier ESWT trials that were held about 3 years ago at MGH!! I hope thats not the case, but I have not heard anything about MGH getting involved in any new trials.

Personally, I think trials are a good way to go. In the past, the FDA has required that 50% of the participants receive a placebo. When the trial is over, the patients with the placebo will be usually be offered the real thing. Intertesting enough, numerous people with the placebo treatment recovered. Why don't you ask your doctor for more information, and then get back to us. Ask your doctor the name of the machine, how long the trials will last, and when the trials begin.

Good luck
BrianG

PS: If your pain is really unbearable, I'd advise you see a pain management doctor, or clinic. I believe there is one at MGH. If not, go to: http://www.pain.com
Scroll to near the bottom of the home page, and you'll see a link for pain clinics in every city.

Linda on 11/29/02 at 07:42 (101389)

He talked about half of the patients receiveing a placebo,and about if you do receive it, they offer the real thing in the end. How could they recover from a placebo?
Thank you for the advice, and i think i'm gonna go see a pain management doctor,because i can't last longer than 10 minutes now on my feet. On a scale of 1-10 my pain level at it's worse is about 30. It is so much worse than before surgery. I told my foot doctor i regret getting it done. I will find out when the trials begin,and he said it will last about 3 months. He went to a seminar a couple of weeks ago on it.

dave r on 11/29/02 at 09:41 (101399)

What type of a plantar release did you have? Was it the traditional open procedure or the epf procedure?

Linda on 11/29/02 at 15:21 (101425)

I had The traditional open procedure,because at the same time i had tarsal tunnel release,and heel spur excision

J. King on 12/02/02 at 09:01 (101587)

Brian

What do you know about upcoming trials for EWST. I live in Florida. I wonder if the Veterans Administration does EWST.

John King

John King

BrianG on 12/02/02 at 21:48 (101626)

I haven't heard of any new PF trials, since the Dornier was approved. I know that a Pod in NY is trying to resurect the old Orbie, by performing some trials for the FDA. You could probably find what your looking for by doing a little research. I'd start with: http://www.fda.gov
There is a search feature at the bottom of the home page. You could also use a search engine like Google, it seems to be the best out there. It's not always easy to find this info, as everyone seems to want to hold their cards close to the chest until they are ready for an announcement.

Regards
BrianG

LINDA on 12/03/02 at 06:40 (101635)

My doc says the trial i am on a waiting list for doesn't have a definite date,or place yet. All he can say is it will be in Boston. For now, I am going to go thr 6 more weeks of physical therapy. Hopefully it will give me some relief.
thank you for the info. I am going to look into that.

BrianG on 12/04/02 at 13:10 (101788)

Hi Linda,

If you could at least get the name of the ESWT machine that will be used in the upcoming trial, we could probably dig up quite a bit of information on it. Like if it's being used in Europe, approved for anything besides PF, etc. I have to believe that your doctor has at least that much information (the name).

Good luck with the PT.
BrianG

Linda on 12/04/02 at 17:40 (101795)

I called to get info from the Doctor's office. The Assistant told me all she was told by the doc was it was going to be set in boston,and she would contact me and ask him what machine,what hospital,all that stuff as soon as she hears anything.

I start physical therapy monday. I am hoping it helps,because i have pain worse than i have ever had it in my life right now. it really stinks. I am now totally regretting having the surgery.
thanks for your response

trish e on 12/09/02 at 12:20 (102351)

boy do i feel for you i only had my left foot done and it made it worse to i can't imagine having both done.good luck to ya.

Linda on 12/09/02 at 17:40 (102413)

Thanks.
I started physical therapy again today. The therapist said i have almost no range of motion in my right foot, and my left foot is about 50%.
He said he can't believe my fascia in my right foot is so tight again.
He didn't believe me when i told him i was stretching, but then i went over with what i have done in the past year that would have aggravated it,and we figured it out.
I felt great for august,so i went back to the gym and started running again on the treadmill,and doing all the machines. I even did heel raises, which he told me i can't ever do them again,and i should have never done them at all.
I guess i'm paying big time for my mistake
thanks,again