Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HOW I CURED MY PF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Jason on 11/27/02 at 23:57 (101303)

Listen.. I wrote in here before a few time.. and I had bad PF for about a year. I'm a mailman and I have no choice but to walk. Anyway, the last time I posted is when I found a cure. I was experimenting with a few different things (stretching, walking different, relafin, etc) and I cured myself. No pain at all. I posted before because I wanted to let everyone know that there are cures out there.. that people do get better. Because when i was suffering bad.. i used to come here and read all bad stories and get deperessed.

Anyway, once every few weeks.. my plantar fascia will feel just slightly tight in the morning when im walking to my route.. but it is fine the rest of the day as it loosens up. This is the way my PF first came on.. gradually.. but now, whenever this early sign rears its ugly head. I stop it right there and it goes away for weeks at a time.

HOW?!

It's easy for me.. I found my answer.

THE STUPID STINKN NIGHTSPLINTS! It was so simple. I finally found out that these things work.. and work great.

BUT! The doctors are all crazy.. they are stinky.. half tarted. They have all these ideas and half of them are a waste (cortizone.. thanks for nothing doc) and the docs also say not to overstretch the foot on the nightsplints.. !?!?! DO NOT OVERSTRETCH THEY SAY.

Well f that! In the days where I was doing everything i was supposed to (cortizone, relafin, stretching, not going bearfoot, etc) i never got my pain level to zero. NOW I DO

HOW?

I OVERSTRETCH WITH THE SPLINT. When I go to bed with my nightsplint.. i put it on kinda tight.. but more importantly.. i make sure my foot is at a good angle.. then i put a sock under the padding by my toes (SOMETIMES TWO SOCKS!) so the foot is really really VERY STRETCHED OUT. Then i go to bed.

THEN I WAKE UP EARLY.. with my foot in great preassure.. it feels like my toes are pushing towards the bottom of the splinth ( where the socks are) with all the preassure in the world. It is a sensation that makes it hard to sleep. ALMOST PAINFUL.. like if I was a wrestler.. i'd tap out. But , then you don't. YOU JUST DEAL WITH IT. I can feel the preassure in 1 or 2 middle toes in particular. Then i roll over a few times and try to get back to sleep .. with pleasant thoughts.. that this pain is stretching me back to normal. BECAUSE guess what?? IT IS!

I WAKE UP FINE. everytime now. I take that splint off and any slight pain I had the day before when walking is GONE.. and GONE FOR WEEKS!!!! Now, if I wasn't lazy and just wore the thing once in awhile.. i dont think my pain would ever come back at all.

ANYWAY.. just wanted to let you all know my practices and my success. SLEEP WITH THE SPLINT.. and PUT A SOCK OR TWO under the padding right at the toes so they are pressed up far like bent towards your face. THEN.. when you wake up and want to take it off because of the preassure.. SUCK IT UP! TAKE THE PAIN.. EAT IT.. EATTTTTT... because in the morning your gonna be fine... and life is good.

I did this many nights at first.. and now i just do it once every few weeks when my foot acts up. So, maybe you all gotta do it more (like everynight) to get to my success.. but im telln ya.. there is 100000 percent something to this.

LASTLY. I think im gonna get a new nightsplint soon (mine is wearing thin.. and also I saw some on the net that had a seperate turnable section for the toes where it looks like u can turn them toward your face. That is like having the socks i talked about auto built in. Anyone use this? Or know if it locks into a very acute angle?

Well.. goodluck people.. there's success out there... and i was very very bad at one point (couldnt finish my mail route..) now i go for weeks at atime with 0 pain.. and it just acts up when i get lazy and dont wear the splint for a month.. and i can fix it with 1 or sometimes 2 nights of wearing it.. BUT.. remember.. im not just wearing it.. im OVERSTRETCHING IT.. im TAKING THE PAIN that night.. for a month of 0 pain.

Umm.. goodbye im tired.

Re: HOW I CURED MY PF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason on 11/28/02 at 00:01 (101304)

Just wanted to say.. if the preassure in the nightsplint (not tightness of the straps but the preassure from the acute angle) doesn't wake you up during the night.. THEN YOUR NOT STRETCHING IT ACUTELY ENOUGH. If you sleep the whole night and dont wake up.. you aint doing nothing.

IanJ on 11/28/02 at 12:47 (101337)

Which nightsplints are you using?

Jim C. on 11/28/02 at 14:52 (101342)

Hi Jason,

I agree that the night splint is a very good treatment for PF sufferers, but I would be cautious about promoting the aggressive approuch you take as it may not work for everybody and could do some people harm.
I always take heed when someone proclaims a cure for PF as I'm usauly disapointed, but I do share your enthusiasim for the night splint as part of a broader range of treatments, including taping, stretching, good shoes and corrective treatment of the causes.
I would suggest that you continue you use of the splint well into your 'cured stage' and with the possible additions of taping and stretching. And then you might see longer recovery periods and be out right cured with just a simple stretching routine.

Jim

Jason on 11/28/02 at 22:51 (101375)

I use a cheap splint from johnson and johnson i think.. my doc issued it to me. I get a better streetch from putting a sock or two under the toe area my toes are pointing up more.

I REALLY BELIEVE THAT WHAT HAS CURED ME IS : the strech must be very acute.. if I you can sleep the whole night without once waking up because of the built up preassure, then its not enough of an angle.

Just remember not to put it on too tight.. its the ANGLE not the tightness that you want.

I did this for a long time to cure myself.. well not real long, just a few months. But now, i just have to do it every few weeks for 1 or 2 nights then im back to 100 percent. If i wasnt lazy and actualy did it as a routine like once a week.. i would never have any pf return.

I wish some of you would try this.. i mean, i know its hard.. and you want to take it off in the middle of the night because of the preassure and want to get to sleep.. but TAKE IT... dammit.. take the stretch.. and enjoy what the results bring you. ITS WORTH IT.

BrianJ on 11/29/02 at 10:10 (101400)

Jason --

Some doctors say that nightsplints only benefit people who have a lot of 'first step' pain when they get out of bed in the morning. Before you cured yourself, did you (a) have a lot of first step pain, or (b) have the kind of pain that was not bad in the morning but got worse as you stayed on your feet throughout the day?

Thanks very much for your input.

john h on 11/29/02 at 11:55 (101412)

Brian: I have read several articles saying much the same; that night splints are most effective for first step pain. I have never had first step pain. Never had a heelspur. I do use a night splint on and off but keep my foot in basically a neutral position or maybe a 1-2 degree dorsiflexion. I do sleep at least part of the night with my feet hanging off the side of the bed which sort of keeps your feet neutral but when I wake up I am likely to have my feet anywhere.

elliott on 11/29/02 at 12:03 (101413)

john h, et al:

Then maybe a night splint or two (pulled very taut! :-)) should be a requirement before undergoing ESWT; many of the ESWT studies require first step pain in their eligibilty criteria. One might even postulate that those PF sufferers with first step pain are as a class easier to treat.

[]

Leon S. on 11/29/02 at 21:11 (101454)

How much different is a night splint from sleeping with a ski boot on?

john h on 11/29/02 at 22:21 (101459)

I do not know the stats on those diagonesed with PF who do not have first step pain but from what I observe on the board it seems to be around 50% I have read a nmber of articles indicating PF can and does occur without first step pain. I have tried the night splint for several weeks with 4-5 degrees of dorsifelxion and did not notice any better results than just keeping it neutral. Of course different strokes for different folks. Seems to me the most critical thing in being treated with ESWT is to locate a spot you can reproduce pain in or else you are aiming in the dark.

nancy s. on 11/30/02 at 06:42 (101473)

leon, i'm no skier, but doesn't a ski boot weigh about three tons more than any night splint? if you're just sitting with your foot up and wanting to keep it neutral, a ski boot might work as well as a splint, but that's different from tossing and turning in bed with it.

i wore an aircast for seven weeks and thought that would be a nice change in bed from the night splint. however, it was extremely cumbersome, was much heavier, and nearly turned my other foot into mashed potatoes.

nancy

Re: thoughts on first step pain

Carole C in NOLA on 11/30/02 at 07:30 (101480)

I haven't had ESWT, so this post is peripheral to your ESWT comments. Anyway,... :)

I had first step pain during PF but I didn't realize it when I first got PF. Later when my pain level was greater, it was quite pronounced.

Something that I noticed during my recovery was that I eventually reached a point at which first step pain disappeared and my tendons and tissues seemed less taut and more relaxed. However, I still had some low level pain when over-doing, for a while after that, but without first step pain.

Extrapolating from my experiences, I'm wondering if lack of first step pain might perhaps be more common in those with low pain levels (1-2) than it is in those with higher pain levels (5-7, for example). If so, that might imply greater effectiveness of ESWT in those with first step pain. They simply have more room for improvement.

Carole C

Leon S. on 11/30/02 at 09:21 (101487)

All that being true, does the ski boot provide the same therapy as the night splint? My general attitude, after reading these messages for the past few months, is that people have spent all kinds of $$$$$$ for many things that may or may not have any affect. I generally regard myself as a fish that swims upstream against the current and found that my natural instincts have served me better than alot of well meaning advice in all sorts of situations. The 'Julie stretches', wearing Birks and generally staying off my feet as much as possible have proven to help ease some of the foot pain. I read all these things that people are doing and I don't think that they are any better off than I am with my minimal care. Regarding the ski boot, I did wear it a couple of times at night just to see what would happen. It was a little uncomfortable but I got used to it. My foot did seem to feel a little better in the morning so I was curious if it has the same theraputic affect as the night splint.

Re: Post-static dyskinesia

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/02/02 at 15:01 (101599)

If no first step pain (post-static dyskinesia) exists, one should always consider the possilbity that PF is not the proper diagnosis and look further. Conversely, the lack of post-static dyskinesia should not necessarily be used to rule out PF.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/02/02 at 15:06 (101600)

Jason:

Glad to see that you found something that works for you. Doctors are looking at thousands of cases and need to consider what works for the majority of patients first and then be ready to modify treatments based on the needs of specific patients. Overly intense stretching does not work for the majority of PF sufferers.
Ed

monte on 12/02/02 at 15:36 (101603)

Dr Davis

I have no morning pain...but the overall pain and aches in both feet are there from when i get out of bed. A majority of my pain seems to have settled in the arches and midfoot. The heels hurt...but that has been calming down lately. I am almost at 24 months. I had 2 rounds with the Donier from Dr Z (a man I truly trust). Nerve test have come back negative for TTS. My feet and ankles are strong, but they feel fragile. Make sense?

Your response is appreciated.
Monte

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/02/02 at 16:53 (101606)

Monte:
Did you have morning pain previously (before ESWT) treatment? ESWT treats primarily the origin of the plantar fascia on the heel bone so it makes sense that that area is feeling better. It sounds like you nay have biomechanical issues. Are you wearing orthotics?
Ed

monte on 12/03/02 at 07:21 (101638)

Dr Davis...thanks for the reply. I never had the sharp heel pain in the morning..but Dr Z was able to find the pain at the insertion point with his finger and the ultra sound showed some thickening. I pronate slightly and my arches are lowish....but not flat.

a large part of the pain is arch related also. then there is the overall acheyness in the feet. I have NO tingling or numbness or weakness.

I have tried orthotics and the always seem to hurt my arch area. I currently tape (low dye method) and wear arch wraps with an over the counter athetic insole.

I can walk better thtn standing still...although i have improved my standing time over the past 23 months.

should i give orthotics another try...just not rigid ones?

Thanks again
Monte

john h on 12/03/02 at 12:07 (101656)

I do not know if I have ever got a real answer to my question of 'Does the thick fascia prove you have PF?' What is thick? Does the normal thickness change with age? Do some people just naturally have a thicker fascia than others? I have seen a number of doctors both MD's and Podiatrist and none seemed concerned with the thickness of my fascia. I questioned some and they did not seem interested.

dave r on 12/03/02 at 14:47 (101669)

that is a good question John. I too have had the same response from a few doctors. they just do know or dont care. Then their are some that think that the fascia thickness means alot. I can tell you that mine a pretty darn thick.......

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/03/02 at 19:01 (101707)

Monte:

Arch supports work by placing pressure under the arch and are difficult to tolerate by many. A number of pre-fab orthotics and customized pre-fab orthotics tend to act like arch supports.

Custom orthotics exert their effect primarily by control of the rearfoot (limitation of subtalar joint pronation) and control of the forefoot (limitation of midtarsal joint supination) with arch support being secondary. As such, it may not be the rigidity of the orthotic which is an issue but the relative arch height. The more the orthotic controls rearfoot and forefoot motion, the less noticeable the area beneath the arch may be.

Consider re-visiting orthotic therapy with this is mind.
Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 12/03/02 at 22:05 (101724)

Dr. Ed, just as an aside I'd like to thank you for your posts which have taught me a lot.

Your post probably explains why I never had much luck with over the counter arch supports, even though they seemed like a good idea when I bought them. I also had little or no luck with heel pads. Orthotics which control my forefoot and particularly my rearfoot seemed to work much better for me.

Carole C

john h on 12/04/02 at 18:49 (101799)

Dr Ed: I have never had first step pain and I think at least 8 doctors (MD's and Podiatrist) all diagnose PF. Wish it was something else!

john h on 12/04/02 at 19:04 (101801)

Dr Ed: I looked on the Podiatry Channel and it indicated Post-static dyskinesia and PF are used interchangeably.

Jason on 11/28/02 at 00:01 (101304)

Just wanted to say.. if the preassure in the nightsplint (not tightness of the straps but the preassure from the acute angle) doesn't wake you up during the night.. THEN YOUR NOT STRETCHING IT ACUTELY ENOUGH. If you sleep the whole night and dont wake up.. you aint doing nothing.

IanJ on 11/28/02 at 12:47 (101337)

Which nightsplints are you using?

Jim C. on 11/28/02 at 14:52 (101342)

Hi Jason,

I agree that the night splint is a very good treatment for PF sufferers, but I would be cautious about promoting the aggressive approuch you take as it may not work for everybody and could do some people harm.
I always take heed when someone proclaims a cure for PF as I'm usauly disapointed, but I do share your enthusiasim for the night splint as part of a broader range of treatments, including taping, stretching, good shoes and corrective treatment of the causes.
I would suggest that you continue you use of the splint well into your 'cured stage' and with the possible additions of taping and stretching. And then you might see longer recovery periods and be out right cured with just a simple stretching routine.

Jim

Jason on 11/28/02 at 22:51 (101375)

I use a cheap splint from johnson and johnson i think.. my doc issued it to me. I get a better streetch from putting a sock or two under the toe area my toes are pointing up more.

I REALLY BELIEVE THAT WHAT HAS CURED ME IS : the strech must be very acute.. if I you can sleep the whole night without once waking up because of the built up preassure, then its not enough of an angle.

Just remember not to put it on too tight.. its the ANGLE not the tightness that you want.

I did this for a long time to cure myself.. well not real long, just a few months. But now, i just have to do it every few weeks for 1 or 2 nights then im back to 100 percent. If i wasnt lazy and actualy did it as a routine like once a week.. i would never have any pf return.

I wish some of you would try this.. i mean, i know its hard.. and you want to take it off in the middle of the night because of the preassure and want to get to sleep.. but TAKE IT... dammit.. take the stretch.. and enjoy what the results bring you. ITS WORTH IT.

BrianJ on 11/29/02 at 10:10 (101400)

Jason --

Some doctors say that nightsplints only benefit people who have a lot of 'first step' pain when they get out of bed in the morning. Before you cured yourself, did you (a) have a lot of first step pain, or (b) have the kind of pain that was not bad in the morning but got worse as you stayed on your feet throughout the day?

Thanks very much for your input.

john h on 11/29/02 at 11:55 (101412)

Brian: I have read several articles saying much the same; that night splints are most effective for first step pain. I have never had first step pain. Never had a heelspur. I do use a night splint on and off but keep my foot in basically a neutral position or maybe a 1-2 degree dorsiflexion. I do sleep at least part of the night with my feet hanging off the side of the bed which sort of keeps your feet neutral but when I wake up I am likely to have my feet anywhere.

elliott on 11/29/02 at 12:03 (101413)

john h, et al:

Then maybe a night splint or two (pulled very taut! :-)) should be a requirement before undergoing ESWT; many of the ESWT studies require first step pain in their eligibilty criteria. One might even postulate that those PF sufferers with first step pain are as a class easier to treat.

[]

Leon S. on 11/29/02 at 21:11 (101454)

How much different is a night splint from sleeping with a ski boot on?

john h on 11/29/02 at 22:21 (101459)

I do not know the stats on those diagonesed with PF who do not have first step pain but from what I observe on the board it seems to be around 50% I have read a nmber of articles indicating PF can and does occur without first step pain. I have tried the night splint for several weeks with 4-5 degrees of dorsifelxion and did not notice any better results than just keeping it neutral. Of course different strokes for different folks. Seems to me the most critical thing in being treated with ESWT is to locate a spot you can reproduce pain in or else you are aiming in the dark.

nancy s. on 11/30/02 at 06:42 (101473)

leon, i'm no skier, but doesn't a ski boot weigh about three tons more than any night splint? if you're just sitting with your foot up and wanting to keep it neutral, a ski boot might work as well as a splint, but that's different from tossing and turning in bed with it.

i wore an aircast for seven weeks and thought that would be a nice change in bed from the night splint. however, it was extremely cumbersome, was much heavier, and nearly turned my other foot into mashed potatoes.

nancy

Re: thoughts on first step pain

Carole C in NOLA on 11/30/02 at 07:30 (101480)

I haven't had ESWT, so this post is peripheral to your ESWT comments. Anyway,... :)

I had first step pain during PF but I didn't realize it when I first got PF. Later when my pain level was greater, it was quite pronounced.

Something that I noticed during my recovery was that I eventually reached a point at which first step pain disappeared and my tendons and tissues seemed less taut and more relaxed. However, I still had some low level pain when over-doing, for a while after that, but without first step pain.

Extrapolating from my experiences, I'm wondering if lack of first step pain might perhaps be more common in those with low pain levels (1-2) than it is in those with higher pain levels (5-7, for example). If so, that might imply greater effectiveness of ESWT in those with first step pain. They simply have more room for improvement.

Carole C

Leon S. on 11/30/02 at 09:21 (101487)

All that being true, does the ski boot provide the same therapy as the night splint? My general attitude, after reading these messages for the past few months, is that people have spent all kinds of $$$$$$ for many things that may or may not have any affect. I generally regard myself as a fish that swims upstream against the current and found that my natural instincts have served me better than alot of well meaning advice in all sorts of situations. The 'Julie stretches', wearing Birks and generally staying off my feet as much as possible have proven to help ease some of the foot pain. I read all these things that people are doing and I don't think that they are any better off than I am with my minimal care. Regarding the ski boot, I did wear it a couple of times at night just to see what would happen. It was a little uncomfortable but I got used to it. My foot did seem to feel a little better in the morning so I was curious if it has the same theraputic affect as the night splint.

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/02/02 at 15:01 (101599)

If no first step pain (post-static dyskinesia) exists, one should always consider the possilbity that PF is not the proper diagnosis and look further. Conversely, the lack of post-static dyskinesia should not necessarily be used to rule out PF.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/02/02 at 15:06 (101600)

Jason:

Glad to see that you found something that works for you. Doctors are looking at thousands of cases and need to consider what works for the majority of patients first and then be ready to modify treatments based on the needs of specific patients. Overly intense stretching does not work for the majority of PF sufferers.
Ed

monte on 12/02/02 at 15:36 (101603)

Dr Davis

I have no morning pain...but the overall pain and aches in both feet are there from when i get out of bed. A majority of my pain seems to have settled in the arches and midfoot. The heels hurt...but that has been calming down lately. I am almost at 24 months. I had 2 rounds with the Donier from Dr Z (a man I truly trust). Nerve test have come back negative for TTS. My feet and ankles are strong, but they feel fragile. Make sense?

Your response is appreciated.
Monte

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/02/02 at 16:53 (101606)

Monte:
Did you have morning pain previously (before ESWT) treatment? ESWT treats primarily the origin of the plantar fascia on the heel bone so it makes sense that that area is feeling better. It sounds like you nay have biomechanical issues. Are you wearing orthotics?
Ed

monte on 12/03/02 at 07:21 (101638)

Dr Davis...thanks for the reply. I never had the sharp heel pain in the morning..but Dr Z was able to find the pain at the insertion point with his finger and the ultra sound showed some thickening. I pronate slightly and my arches are lowish....but not flat.

a large part of the pain is arch related also. then there is the overall acheyness in the feet. I have NO tingling or numbness or weakness.

I have tried orthotics and the always seem to hurt my arch area. I currently tape (low dye method) and wear arch wraps with an over the counter athetic insole.

I can walk better thtn standing still...although i have improved my standing time over the past 23 months.

should i give orthotics another try...just not rigid ones?

Thanks again
Monte

john h on 12/03/02 at 12:07 (101656)

I do not know if I have ever got a real answer to my question of 'Does the thick fascia prove you have PF?' What is thick? Does the normal thickness change with age? Do some people just naturally have a thicker fascia than others? I have seen a number of doctors both MD's and Podiatrist and none seemed concerned with the thickness of my fascia. I questioned some and they did not seem interested.

dave r on 12/03/02 at 14:47 (101669)

that is a good question John. I too have had the same response from a few doctors. they just do know or dont care. Then their are some that think that the fascia thickness means alot. I can tell you that mine a pretty darn thick.......

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/03/02 at 19:01 (101707)

Monte:

Arch supports work by placing pressure under the arch and are difficult to tolerate by many. A number of pre-fab orthotics and customized pre-fab orthotics tend to act like arch supports.

Custom orthotics exert their effect primarily by control of the rearfoot (limitation of subtalar joint pronation) and control of the forefoot (limitation of midtarsal joint supination) with arch support being secondary. As such, it may not be the rigidity of the orthotic which is an issue but the relative arch height. The more the orthotic controls rearfoot and forefoot motion, the less noticeable the area beneath the arch may be.

Consider re-visiting orthotic therapy with this is mind.
Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 12/03/02 at 22:05 (101724)

Dr. Ed, just as an aside I'd like to thank you for your posts which have taught me a lot.

Your post probably explains why I never had much luck with over the counter arch supports, even though they seemed like a good idea when I bought them. I also had little or no luck with heel pads. Orthotics which control my forefoot and particularly my rearfoot seemed to work much better for me.

Carole C

john h on 12/04/02 at 18:49 (101799)

Dr Ed: I have never had first step pain and I think at least 8 doctors (MD's and Podiatrist) all diagnose PF. Wish it was something else!

john h on 12/04/02 at 19:04 (101801)

Dr Ed: I looked on the Podiatry Channel and it indicated Post-static dyskinesia and PF are used interchangeably.