Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Happy Thanksgiving-Get Well

Posted by john h on 11/28/02 at 09:50 (101329)

It is Thanksgiving morning in Little Rock. It is clear and 27 degrees. My daughter had to work all night at the hospital and just got off work at 9am and has to be back at 5pm so she will not be joining us for dinner at my employeers home where we have gone for the past three years. Always about 30 people (mostly family). His home sits about 1000 above the Arkansas River on a beautiful bluff overlooking the Little Rock skyline and river. My feet are hanging in at a painlevel of 1-2 which is very good for me. My cats are celebrating by running around in our first big frost. I have put out buckets of birdseed and the birds are everywhere. Last nignt I had about 10 racoons feasting in the back yard. Most of my leaves have fallen but the pesky pine needles are always about which will take me back to my roof this weekend. I tried to send a couple of selections of music to a few of you but your servers in most cases cannot handle a 7meg message and the music was returned. I wish all of you a wonderful Thanksgiving Day or if you do not have Thanksgiving day just a day better than most..

Re: Happy Thanksgiving-Get Well

nancy s. on 11/28/02 at 10:35 (101332)

it took about half an hour to come through, but i got 'a hard day's night' from you. is that the one? it was just right for last night!

happy thanksgiving to you and everyone else here. it's 27 degrees in maine, too, and we have a couple of inches of snow. just little enough to still wear my birks to the thanksgiving restaurant. i decorated them with red shoelaces for the occasion.

nancy

john h on 11/28/02 at 11:46 (101333)

Nancy you should have downloaded that in just a couple of minutes with your highspeed internet. What is happening?

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 12:01 (101334)

John, that sounds like a beautiful place to go for Thanksgiving. I'm glad your feet are doing so well!

Those birds are undoubtedly pretty thankful that they live near you, and they probably invited all their buddies over to feast on the birdseed. I would imagine that the raccoons are not feeling too neglected, either.

Take care, and happy Thanksgiving.

Carole C

nancy s. on 11/28/02 at 14:48 (101341)

john: what high-speed internet? i think i have regular speed. do i know what i'm talking about???

actually, it was my mailbox that took half an hour to allow the letter in the slot. the little circle down in the receiving corner went round and round and round and round and ... but once your email with attachment arrived in my mailbox, you're right, it took only a couple of minutes to start making music.

n

Kari B on 11/28/02 at 14:57 (101345)

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I have some family here for the day but I went for my pre-op appt and want to share the 'treatment plan' that my dr. gave me yesterday. I will do that once everyone leaves this evening. I hope everyone is having a wonderful day!!
Kari

Suzanne D on 11/28/02 at 16:30 (101348)

Happy Thanksgiving, John! My family went to my sister's home in southern Kentucky where we grew up. We ate with aunts and uncles and cousins and marveled at how things change and yet remain the same. One cousin always liked the olives and pickles and another the pumpkin pie. The men talked of hunting and farming and the women about who lived where and was married to whom...The same special dishes were made by the same people, and we all ate too much! But there is comfort in the familiar, while things constantly change around us.

I will be glad to have my e-mail restored next week. The school district is working on our service. So until then, we are not to even try to check it.

Hope you had a good day! It sounds like you had a nice place to celebrate the ocassion.

Suzanne :-)

Suzanne D on 11/28/02 at 21:53 (101368)

Hope you had a good day, Kari!

Re: P.S.

Suzanne D on 11/28/02 at 21:57 (101370)

Today I wore a blue sweater with some red and white in it and with it a bracelet I made which is red, white, and blue with some small flags painted on the white beads. I wore that to remember my class's soldiers and also the families of those such as David A. Hill whose Thanksgivings were permanently altered after they lost children who were serving in the military. It was just a small gesture, but it was important to me to remember.

sharon on 11/28/02 at 22:10 (101373)

hi new to this message board. not new to heel pain. it makes me shudder to think a year. it could take a year for this go away. but then the pain started in apirl. so half a year maybe can i go another half a year. what choice do i have. what do i do with myself in the meantime with going totally absolutly insane. will i still have a job in april ? will the pain be less in 6 mnths ? ok now that i have ranted and raved. hope everyone had a great holiday dinner, we went to a friends for dinner ate too much and then had dessert. everyone looked stuffed sorta like the turkey did !!!!!!!!!!!! hehehehehee. youngest child has a birthday tommorrow 17 yrs old. but she no more wants to eat cake and ice cream then we do. we are bumping the celebration back to sat. chinese food. and icecream cake. does any one know any good excercises to do while sitting. cuz i am gonna need em.. with middle childs birthday coming xmas day.

john h on 11/29/02 at 09:09 (101394)

Nancy: There are several ways to access high speed internet which is probably 8 times faster than your current 56K or 33K modem. It is the difference between night and day. Most of the phone companies offer it and will call it DSL or ADSL. It works over your phone line. You do not need an extra line as you can use your phone and computer at the same time. Usually they offer a free modem and setup at a cost of around $39.95 per month. Many of the television cable companies also offer highspeed connections at about the same price with free setup an usually a reduced rate for the first three months. Check with you local cable company. You can go online to your local telephone provider like in my region it is SBCGlobal.net and you can find out if the DSL is available to your phone number. Calll you cable company and check. It makes surfing the internet a real pleasure and very very fast.

john h on 11/29/02 at 09:12 (101395)

Nancy: Tell me what operating system you are using. I think it is OS 8.6
When your computer first starts up it will flash on the screen or you can look under the little apple icon on top under 'About This Mac' amd ot will tell you. I probably have a couple of OS upgrades I can send you OS 9.2 that will make your computer function a lot better. I could send you Jaguar but I do not think you have enouhg memory. email me.

Re: For John H

dave r on 11/29/02 at 10:27 (101403)

John, i was having dinner with my father yesterday and he was telling Mary and i war stories. He faught in vietnam and Korea. He has a purple heart to. Anyhow i was thinking of you cause you where a flyboy. We also talked about my grandfather, he faught in world war 2. Along with his brother that was killed on Omaha beach. Anyhow, just wanted to let you guys know that i think about the people on this board all the time...

john h on 11/29/02 at 12:09 (101415)

Thanks Dave. My mother was a nurse in WWII, My father an army Dentist. my half brother was killed in Korea, my other half brother a Lt Col Air Force Pilot like myself and also stationed at Cheyenne, one uncle died as a Canadian Army Officer in WW II. one sunk at sea, all ohter uncles were in Navy or Army so it must be in the genes. Actually I was drafted into Army during Vietnam while I was waiting to be called by the Air Force where I was on a waiting list. I took my draft notice to the draft board and a very nice lady said she would give me 2 days to get into Air Force or it was the Infantry for me. I ran to the old Sergent at the Air Force enlistment office and told him either I get in the Air Force within two days or else I was Army. He had me on a bus that afternoon to Chicago where I was sworn in the next morning and on a train to San Antoinio the same day. Little turns in the road can really change ones entire life. I was three credit hours short of being accepted into the Naval Aviation program. Had I been accepted into that I would never have met my wife and who knows how my life might have turned out. In life we are constantly encountering forks in the road which can greatly alter our lives. I did not always take the one less traveled but every once in a while I did.

dave r on 11/29/02 at 12:25 (101417)

How right you are John! Of all the things that i have done in my life, all the people that i have met. All the activities that i was once able to do and now i am just grateful that i could and that i had the chance.I also didnt always take the road less traveled and am thankful for the times that i did. If i wouldnt of developed pf i never would of met the love of my life.

Re: Happy Thanksgiving-Get Well -- john/imac

nancy s. on 11/29/02 at 18:51 (101444)

wow -- thanks, john.

we have cable 'road runner' highspeed available in our area, but it's pretty expensive: over $45. that's twice what i pay by using earthlink via our phone line. and i don't mind tying up the phone line, because i hate the phone. i have phone phobia. sometimes i leave the computer on purposely, just to continue tying up the line. i like in-person or email. (just so no one thinks i'm totally rude, i do have a cheap voice-mail arrangement with the phone company, so people who call can leave a voice-mail message rather than getting a busy signal. had to do that because a close friend of mine who likes the phone threatened to burn my house down if i didn't do something about the busy signal.)

yes, it's OS 8.6. if you send me an upgrade, how do i do it? i'm excited! never mind, sorry, i'll email you! thanks again.

nancy

Nancy N on 12/02/02 at 05:41 (101580)

John, I think you are confusing us Nancys again. I'm the one with the cable modem :) I did get Hang On Sloopy from you the other day, but couldn't play it because I was at my parents' house and they didn't have the right media player (or so Windoze told me). It was a huge file, though--took up half of my webmail account. Fortunately, nobody else tried to send me anything huge while I was gone. It did download quickly once I got home :)

john h on 12/05/02 at 17:08 (101885)

Nancy Nancy Nancy everywhere I turn. One is a 60's hippie and one a 90's yuppie. I am so confused! Yes Nancy S with a 56K modem it would take you some time to download the 6 meg selection. I once sent Julie a big file not realizing in England you pay by the minute and she was using 56k. I probably owe her some big bucks. Nancy N with your cable modem you should have downladed that baby in a very short time.

nancy s. on 12/05/02 at 17:33 (101888)

oh, ok, i have a 56K modem. that's news to me, and i'll write it down. thanks, john. do you still think i'm a candidate for an upgrade from os8.6, or was that the '90s yuppie nancy n' you had in mind? she's going to give you a good kick when she reads that one, i'll bet.

nancy

Nancy N on 12/05/02 at 17:45 (101892)

Jeez, I'm a yuppie now? Not sure what to think about that one, John, old buddy old pal....

nancy s. on 12/05/02 at 17:54 (101895)

i have to say, i never thought of you as a yuppie, nancy -- no offense to yuppies, sort of! john just had to go with the category of the decade; give him a kick, he'll snap out of it.
nancy

Julie on 12/06/02 at 02:32 (101932)

John, you owe me $65,000,000. I'll take a cheque (check).

Nancy S, if you take John up on his update offer, let me know how you get on. I'm contemplating the same switch, only I'm terrified to do anything with my Mac that goes beyond hitting the alphabet keys.

Nancy N, if you are a yuppie I will eat my Arizonas.

OK, since we're labelling, I'll be a 50s radical.

Nancy N on 12/06/02 at 05:25 (101936)

Well, John, now you've done it. Julie's having Birks for Breakfast. 'Fraid I don't have enough corporate drive to be a yuppie--if I have any, which is something I seriously doubt! And what's more, I really quite like it that way!

What I just can't imagine is how you could ever think such a thing of me! And here I thought we were friends....

;)

Julie on 12/06/02 at 06:57 (101939)

Nancy, it's lunchtime already and we were going to have some sardines on toast.

Shucks.

nancy s. on 12/06/02 at 07:15 (101941)

julie, '50s radicals had an awfully hard time of it, didn't they? you didn't go the beatnik route? by the time about 1964 came around, i longed to live the beatnik life, but it was dying by then. fortunately, hippiedom was just around the corner, and just in time. i never lived in a commune or went on welfare, though.

nancy

nancy s. on 12/06/02 at 07:17 (101942)

birks taste better than sardines. consider yourself lucky.

n.

Julie on 12/06/02 at 08:35 (101949)

Yes, Nancy, we did (have a hard time of it). And no, I didn't go the beatnik route. I was having a hard enough time justifying my political views and activities to my parents, who were paying for my education, to even consider 'dropping out'. They were terrified enough that I'd get into trouble with McCarthy.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/06/02 at 09:33 (101957)

If my recollection is correct, Julie has 5 pairs of Arizonas. I hope they aren't fattening. Maybe we should send her something for stomach ache.

:)

Let's see...

one pair sauteed in butter,
one pair baked,
one pair served cold on a bed of crisp lettuce leafs,
one pair broiled with steak sauce, and
one pair chopped and served in a nice hot stew with gravy...

What a meal!

Carole C

wendyn on 12/06/02 at 12:08 (101984)

Carole, Birks are pretty tough...I think that I would chop them up and simmer all day in the slow cooker.

Little bit of emu oil and some jade balm for good flavor.

Julie - you let us know how they turn out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Ewwww! LOL!! (eom)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/06/02 at 12:58 (101995)

Julie on 12/06/02 at 16:45 (102010)

You are right, Carole. I do have five pairs. And I see that I said I would eat my Arizonas, which wasn't terribly precise. I meant I would eat ONE pair, just one.

Now let's see. I think I'll have them sauteed in butter. Simple, but elegant.

nancy s. on 12/06/02 at 19:04 (102019)

yes, julie, but which color are you going to sacrifice? i'd simmer them in an old crockpot for the next three months before dining.

suzanne and kathy, thanks so much for your further suggestions. i'm actually hopeful again that wearable boots will be found. i swore i wouldn't let hope soar once more, but yet, there it goes; i see it now, disappearing over the horizon. i'll try not to make you 'pay' on the board if i fail. you have gone above and beyond the call of duty -- especially with those item numbers, kathy! what more could i have asked for.

nancy

john h on 12/06/02 at 19:09 (102023)

Nancy S S S S S: You definitely need to upgrad to OS 9.2. Send me your address as I lost it when i did a clean install of my new OS. Either Nancy N or myself may need to walk you through the clean install of OS 9.2

john h on 12/06/02 at 19:10 (102024)

yuppie or maybe puppie!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/06/02 at 20:29 (102034)

Hint: I'll bet nubuck is easier to digest than suede.

Carole C

wendyn on 12/06/02 at 23:24 (102039)

Carole, wouldn't suede be more natural?

We should avoid heavily processed food whenever possible.

Even nubuck.

JudyS on 12/06/02 at 23:55 (102041)

Nancy N is definately no yuppie. In fact, I think she's in a league of her own! :) I've never known someone who could be so creative and so mathmatical at the same time!

Re: 'Morning all

Julie on 12/07/02 at 02:59 (102045)

Well, folks, I am now going to eat my.....

cornflakes.

BTW, snow was forecast last night. But only for Scotland and the far north of England. I thought Elliott might like to know this :)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 07:47 (102052)

Hey Julie, maybe you can drive up to Scotland for the afternoon and see the snow. It's not very far, is it? I'm thinking it might be a two hour drive or so. Doing something spontaneous that 'feeds the soul' like that, might be relaxing. :)

Carole C

Re: in defense of math :)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 07:58 (102053)

Math can be extremely creative. The way I see it, it's a tool that can be applied creatively or not, as can paint on a paint brush. When you paint a white picket fence white, that might not be too creative. But, when Van Gogh painted his paintings he sure managed to put his own creative spin on things.

In engineering school at Texas A&M we often had to creatively derive and come up with mathematical equations we had never seen before in order to solve difficult problems. Different people approached the problems in different ways, and there was quite a bit of creativity going on in our mathematical approach to various engineering dilemmas. Higher math can be very creative, not to mention terrific fun!

Carole C

Julie on 12/07/02 at 08:45 (102058)

Carole, I think you should look at a map of Great Britain. London to Scotland, two hours?! The last time we drove up to Edinburgh it took us three days. Okay, we were ambling on nice back roads. But it's at least an eight-hour drive on crowded motorways and that wouldn't get you far enough north to see the snow.

I shall just have to dream, I think. (More relaxing - you have no idea how awful Britain's roads are these days.)

nancy s. on 12/07/02 at 09:11 (102059)

julie, it was kind of you to post about that snow forecast, the one not relevant to yourself. i'm sure elliott was very pleased.

elliott, we had some sparkling flakes come down last night. they were beautiful. now we have three inches on the ground. but maybe you'll like this better, because it's VERY intellectual: as a freshman in college i had a hankering to write a scientific paper on snowflakes. i searched for resource material everywhere in the library and found nothing. the librarian searched everywhere in the library and found nothing. no paper on snowflakes.

nancy

Julie on 12/07/02 at 09:44 (102061)

Nancy, you are awfully lucky to have had three whole inches. Is it staying on the ground? Ours never does. (I think I'm repeating myself...)

I cannot believe there is no written material on snowflakes. Have you tried the internet? They do say, no two are alike...I am off to do a Goodle search. Sorry, Google.

And did you know that the Inuit vocabulary has over 200 words to describe snow? That, if nothing else, should show us all how serious a subject snow is.

john h on 12/07/02 at 09:53 (102064)

This morinings paper: Pie (as in math) has been carried out to in excess of over 1 trillion yes 1 TRILLION decimem points. Wonder how big a computer figured that out?

john h on 12/07/02 at 09:54 (102065)

Carole everyone in the south knows ' pie are round ' not 'pie are squared'. Math jokes sort of suck.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 11:46 (102077)

That is cute, John. :)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 11:47 (102078)

John, that would be a BIG computer. lol

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 11:52 (102079)

Nancy, I am pretty sure that I read a paper about snowflakes in Scientific American a couple of decades back or three or four. It seems to me that it was addressing the question of whether or not it could be true that no two snowflakes are identical. It's an interesting mathematical problem that you might enjoy reading about. I wish I had the reference to give you!

Carole C

wendyn on 12/07/02 at 12:40 (102093)

The Inuit vocabulary would have so many words for snow, because there is so little else to discuss.

That's some most bad grammar think I.

I am caring today little.

john h on 12/07/02 at 13:15 (102102)

Read a similar article Carole and it flatly stated no two snow flakes are identifical. Now explanin to me how they know that.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 13:35 (102107)

It seems to me that according to the known angles allowed in the ice latticework they figured out how many possibilities exist, and they computed an approximate number of snowflakes, and the ratio of these two numbers gave them the chances that two would be identical. Sounds like a whole lot of unjustified assumptions, but I'd hate to be tasked with disproving their hypothesis!

Carole C

Re: Snowing

wendyn on 12/07/02 at 16:55 (102120)

If you stand in the snow and stick your tongue out, what is the probability that you will catch a snow flake on your tongue?

What is the probability that this snowflake will resemble Michael Jackson?

Re: From a math website

wendyn on 12/07/02 at 16:58 (102122)

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, asimovd wrote:

> Someone else claimed that with all the snowstorms that have ever occurred
> anywhere in the universe, surely some snowflake has been repeated by now.

Who, when, where claimed this? What was the argument?

> My feeling was that with (seat-of-the pants estimate) each snowflake
> involving >= 10000 choices (at the molecular level) and each choice
> involving >= 2 options, there must be at least 2^10000 > 10^3000 as a
> minimum number of snowflake patterns. This seems to argue against any
> possible repetition.

Did you realize that you assumed that the 'choices' in snowflake formation
are made -independently-? Even assuming you have reasonably modeled
(approximately) the choices executed in forming a snowflake, this
assumption is obviously untenable!

Chris Hillman

nancy s. on 12/07/02 at 18:36 (102137)

i almost missed this post, wendy, which would have been a shame, because i know the answer to both your questions.

the probability of catching a snowflake on your tongue while standing in a snowstorm is 92.961998994%.

the probability that the snowflake will resemble michael jackson is 100%.

glad to be of service.

nancy

john h on 12/07/02 at 18:53 (102142)

Wendy: If you are 100 yards from cover and it is snowing will you get more snow on you if you walk or run as fast as you can?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 20:06 (102157)

If it doesn't look like Michael Jackson when it lands on your tongue, it probably will in a minute or two.

Oh BAD joke. I should stand in the corner!

Carole C

john h on 12/07/02 at 20:44 (102162)

I will tell you one guy who could catch a snow flake on his tongue and that is the dude with 'Kiss'! He could catch a snow ball.

JudyS on 12/08/02 at 19:43 (102289)

Wendy - have you been drinking Mimosas again? :)

Nancy N on 12/08/02 at 19:48 (102290)

John--

The only problem with walking her through the install is that once she's started it, if she runs into trouble she may have trouble getting in touch with either of us via the net. I know she hates the phone, but we might have to get her number, or give her ours, before she gets going, just in case.

Nancy N on 12/08/02 at 19:50 (102293)

Whoa, wait, hold the phone for a minute.... I leave you people alone for two days and come back to find out that now I'm supposedly mathematical, of all unholy things? I imagine that might have been intended as a compliment but I assure you I can find many many many math teachers/professors who will be MORE than willing to swear on a stack of bibles that I have an EXTREMELY faulty math gene, so much so that it's a wonder I have one at all!!

I hesitate to wonder aloud if you meant 'calculating' instead, which would be even more questionable!!!

;)

wendyn on 12/08/02 at 19:53 (102295)

Judy - what are mimosas?

nancy s. on 11/28/02 at 10:35 (101332)

it took about half an hour to come through, but i got 'a hard day's night' from you. is that the one? it was just right for last night!

happy thanksgiving to you and everyone else here. it's 27 degrees in maine, too, and we have a couple of inches of snow. just little enough to still wear my birks to the thanksgiving restaurant. i decorated them with red shoelaces for the occasion.

nancy

john h on 11/28/02 at 11:46 (101333)

Nancy you should have downloaded that in just a couple of minutes with your highspeed internet. What is happening?

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 12:01 (101334)

John, that sounds like a beautiful place to go for Thanksgiving. I'm glad your feet are doing so well!

Those birds are undoubtedly pretty thankful that they live near you, and they probably invited all their buddies over to feast on the birdseed. I would imagine that the raccoons are not feeling too neglected, either.

Take care, and happy Thanksgiving.

Carole C

nancy s. on 11/28/02 at 14:48 (101341)

john: what high-speed internet? i think i have regular speed. do i know what i'm talking about???

actually, it was my mailbox that took half an hour to allow the letter in the slot. the little circle down in the receiving corner went round and round and round and round and ... but once your email with attachment arrived in my mailbox, you're right, it took only a couple of minutes to start making music.

n

Kari B on 11/28/02 at 14:57 (101345)

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I have some family here for the day but I went for my pre-op appt and want to share the 'treatment plan' that my dr. gave me yesterday. I will do that once everyone leaves this evening. I hope everyone is having a wonderful day!!
Kari

Suzanne D on 11/28/02 at 16:30 (101348)

Happy Thanksgiving, John! My family went to my sister's home in southern Kentucky where we grew up. We ate with aunts and uncles and cousins and marveled at how things change and yet remain the same. One cousin always liked the olives and pickles and another the pumpkin pie. The men talked of hunting and farming and the women about who lived where and was married to whom...The same special dishes were made by the same people, and we all ate too much! But there is comfort in the familiar, while things constantly change around us.

I will be glad to have my e-mail restored next week. The school district is working on our service. So until then, we are not to even try to check it.

Hope you had a good day! It sounds like you had a nice place to celebrate the ocassion.

Suzanne D on 11/28/02 at 21:53 (101368)

Hope you had a good day, Kari!

Re: P.S.

Suzanne D on 11/28/02 at 21:57 (101370)

Today I wore a blue sweater with some red and white in it and with it a bracelet I made which is red, white, and blue with some small flags painted on the white beads. I wore that to remember my class's soldiers and also the families of those such as David A. Hill whose Thanksgivings were permanently altered after they lost children who were serving in the military. It was just a small gesture, but it was important to me to remember.

sharon on 11/28/02 at 22:10 (101373)

hi new to this message board. not new to heel pain. it makes me shudder to think a year. it could take a year for this go away. but then the pain started in apirl. so half a year maybe can i go another half a year. what choice do i have. what do i do with myself in the meantime with going totally absolutly insane. will i still have a job in april ? will the pain be less in 6 mnths ? ok now that i have ranted and raved. hope everyone had a great holiday dinner, we went to a friends for dinner ate too much and then had dessert. everyone looked stuffed sorta like the turkey did !!!!!!!!!!!! hehehehehee. youngest child has a birthday tommorrow 17 yrs old. but she no more wants to eat cake and ice cream then we do. we are bumping the celebration back to sat. chinese food. and icecream cake. does any one know any good excercises to do while sitting. cuz i am gonna need em.. with middle childs birthday coming xmas day.

john h on 11/29/02 at 09:09 (101394)

Nancy: There are several ways to access high speed internet which is probably 8 times faster than your current 56K or 33K modem. It is the difference between night and day. Most of the phone companies offer it and will call it DSL or ADSL. It works over your phone line. You do not need an extra line as you can use your phone and computer at the same time. Usually they offer a free modem and setup at a cost of around $39.95 per month. Many of the television cable companies also offer highspeed connections at about the same price with free setup an usually a reduced rate for the first three months. Check with you local cable company. You can go online to your local telephone provider like in my region it is SBCGlobal.net and you can find out if the DSL is available to your phone number. Calll you cable company and check. It makes surfing the internet a real pleasure and very very fast.

john h on 11/29/02 at 09:12 (101395)

Nancy: Tell me what operating system you are using. I think it is OS 8.6
When your computer first starts up it will flash on the screen or you can look under the little apple icon on top under 'About This Mac' amd ot will tell you. I probably have a couple of OS upgrades I can send you OS 9.2 that will make your computer function a lot better. I could send you Jaguar but I do not think you have enouhg memory. email me.

dave r on 11/29/02 at 10:27 (101403)

John, i was having dinner with my father yesterday and he was telling Mary and i war stories. He faught in vietnam and Korea. He has a purple heart to. Anyhow i was thinking of you cause you where a flyboy. We also talked about my grandfather, he faught in world war 2. Along with his brother that was killed on Omaha beach. Anyhow, just wanted to let you guys know that i think about the people on this board all the time...

john h on 11/29/02 at 12:09 (101415)

Thanks Dave. My mother was a nurse in WWII, My father an army Dentist. my half brother was killed in Korea, my other half brother a Lt Col Air Force Pilot like myself and also stationed at Cheyenne, one uncle died as a Canadian Army Officer in WW II. one sunk at sea, all ohter uncles were in Navy or Army so it must be in the genes. Actually I was drafted into Army during Vietnam while I was waiting to be called by the Air Force where I was on a waiting list. I took my draft notice to the draft board and a very nice lady said she would give me 2 days to get into Air Force or it was the Infantry for me. I ran to the old Sergent at the Air Force enlistment office and told him either I get in the Air Force within two days or else I was Army. He had me on a bus that afternoon to Chicago where I was sworn in the next morning and on a train to San Antoinio the same day. Little turns in the road can really change ones entire life. I was three credit hours short of being accepted into the Naval Aviation program. Had I been accepted into that I would never have met my wife and who knows how my life might have turned out. In life we are constantly encountering forks in the road which can greatly alter our lives. I did not always take the one less traveled but every once in a while I did.

dave r on 11/29/02 at 12:25 (101417)

How right you are John! Of all the things that i have done in my life, all the people that i have met. All the activities that i was once able to do and now i am just grateful that i could and that i had the chance.I also didnt always take the road less traveled and am thankful for the times that i did. If i wouldnt of developed pf i never would of met the love of my life.

Re: Happy Thanksgiving-Get Well -- john/imac

nancy s. on 11/29/02 at 18:51 (101444)

wow -- thanks, john.

we have cable 'road runner' highspeed available in our area, but it's pretty expensive: over $45. that's twice what i pay by using earthlink via our phone line. and i don't mind tying up the phone line, because i hate the phone. i have phone phobia. sometimes i leave the computer on purposely, just to continue tying up the line. i like in-person or email. (just so no one thinks i'm totally rude, i do have a cheap voice-mail arrangement with the phone company, so people who call can leave a voice-mail message rather than getting a busy signal. had to do that because a close friend of mine who likes the phone threatened to burn my house down if i didn't do something about the busy signal.)

yes, it's OS 8.6. if you send me an upgrade, how do i do it? i'm excited! never mind, sorry, i'll email you! thanks again.

nancy

Nancy N on 12/02/02 at 05:41 (101580)

John, I think you are confusing us Nancys again. I'm the one with the cable modem :) I did get Hang On Sloopy from you the other day, but couldn't play it because I was at my parents' house and they didn't have the right media player (or so Windoze told me). It was a huge file, though--took up half of my webmail account. Fortunately, nobody else tried to send me anything huge while I was gone. It did download quickly once I got home :)

john h on 12/05/02 at 17:08 (101885)

Nancy Nancy Nancy everywhere I turn. One is a 60's hippie and one a 90's yuppie. I am so confused! Yes Nancy S with a 56K modem it would take you some time to download the 6 meg selection. I once sent Julie a big file not realizing in England you pay by the minute and she was using 56k. I probably owe her some big bucks. Nancy N with your cable modem you should have downladed that baby in a very short time.

nancy s. on 12/05/02 at 17:33 (101888)

oh, ok, i have a 56K modem. that's news to me, and i'll write it down. thanks, john. do you still think i'm a candidate for an upgrade from os8.6, or was that the '90s yuppie nancy n' you had in mind? she's going to give you a good kick when she reads that one, i'll bet.

nancy

Nancy N on 12/05/02 at 17:45 (101892)

Jeez, I'm a yuppie now? Not sure what to think about that one, John, old buddy old pal....

nancy s. on 12/05/02 at 17:54 (101895)

i have to say, i never thought of you as a yuppie, nancy -- no offense to yuppies, sort of! john just had to go with the category of the decade; give him a kick, he'll snap out of it.
nancy

Julie on 12/06/02 at 02:32 (101932)

John, you owe me $65,000,000. I'll take a cheque (check).

Nancy S, if you take John up on his update offer, let me know how you get on. I'm contemplating the same switch, only I'm terrified to do anything with my Mac that goes beyond hitting the alphabet keys.

Nancy N, if you are a yuppie I will eat my Arizonas.

OK, since we're labelling, I'll be a 50s radical.

Nancy N on 12/06/02 at 05:25 (101936)

Well, John, now you've done it. Julie's having Birks for Breakfast. 'Fraid I don't have enough corporate drive to be a yuppie--if I have any, which is something I seriously doubt! And what's more, I really quite like it that way!

What I just can't imagine is how you could ever think such a thing of me! And here I thought we were friends....

;)

Julie on 12/06/02 at 06:57 (101939)

Nancy, it's lunchtime already and we were going to have some sardines on toast.

Shucks.

nancy s. on 12/06/02 at 07:15 (101941)

julie, '50s radicals had an awfully hard time of it, didn't they? you didn't go the beatnik route? by the time about 1964 came around, i longed to live the beatnik life, but it was dying by then. fortunately, hippiedom was just around the corner, and just in time. i never lived in a commune or went on welfare, though.

nancy

nancy s. on 12/06/02 at 07:17 (101942)

birks taste better than sardines. consider yourself lucky.

n.

Julie on 12/06/02 at 08:35 (101949)

Yes, Nancy, we did (have a hard time of it). And no, I didn't go the beatnik route. I was having a hard enough time justifying my political views and activities to my parents, who were paying for my education, to even consider 'dropping out'. They were terrified enough that I'd get into trouble with McCarthy.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/06/02 at 09:33 (101957)

If my recollection is correct, Julie has 5 pairs of Arizonas. I hope they aren't fattening. Maybe we should send her something for stomach ache.

:)

Let's see...

one pair sauteed in butter,
one pair baked,
one pair served cold on a bed of crisp lettuce leafs,
one pair broiled with steak sauce, and
one pair chopped and served in a nice hot stew with gravy...

What a meal!

Carole C

wendyn on 12/06/02 at 12:08 (101984)

Carole, Birks are pretty tough...I think that I would chop them up and simmer all day in the slow cooker.

Little bit of emu oil and some jade balm for good flavor.

Julie - you let us know how they turn out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Ewwww! LOL!! (eom)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/06/02 at 12:58 (101995)

Julie on 12/06/02 at 16:45 (102010)

You are right, Carole. I do have five pairs. And I see that I said I would eat my Arizonas, which wasn't terribly precise. I meant I would eat ONE pair, just one.

Now let's see. I think I'll have them sauteed in butter. Simple, but elegant.

nancy s. on 12/06/02 at 19:04 (102019)

yes, julie, but which color are you going to sacrifice? i'd simmer them in an old crockpot for the next three months before dining.

suzanne and kathy, thanks so much for your further suggestions. i'm actually hopeful again that wearable boots will be found. i swore i wouldn't let hope soar once more, but yet, there it goes; i see it now, disappearing over the horizon. i'll try not to make you 'pay' on the board if i fail. you have gone above and beyond the call of duty -- especially with those item numbers, kathy! what more could i have asked for.

nancy

john h on 12/06/02 at 19:09 (102023)

Nancy S S S S S: You definitely need to upgrad to OS 9.2. Send me your address as I lost it when i did a clean install of my new OS. Either Nancy N or myself may need to walk you through the clean install of OS 9.2

john h on 12/06/02 at 19:10 (102024)

yuppie or maybe puppie!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/06/02 at 20:29 (102034)

Hint: I'll bet nubuck is easier to digest than suede.

Carole C

wendyn on 12/06/02 at 23:24 (102039)

Carole, wouldn't suede be more natural?

We should avoid heavily processed food whenever possible.

Even nubuck.

JudyS on 12/06/02 at 23:55 (102041)

Nancy N is definately no yuppie. In fact, I think she's in a league of her own! :) I've never known someone who could be so creative and so mathmatical at the same time!

Julie on 12/07/02 at 02:59 (102045)

Well, folks, I am now going to eat my.....

cornflakes.

BTW, snow was forecast last night. But only for Scotland and the far north of England. I thought Elliott might like to know this :)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 07:47 (102052)

Hey Julie, maybe you can drive up to Scotland for the afternoon and see the snow. It's not very far, is it? I'm thinking it might be a two hour drive or so. Doing something spontaneous that 'feeds the soul' like that, might be relaxing. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 07:58 (102053)

Math can be extremely creative. The way I see it, it's a tool that can be applied creatively or not, as can paint on a paint brush. When you paint a white picket fence white, that might not be too creative. But, when Van Gogh painted his paintings he sure managed to put his own creative spin on things.

In engineering school at Texas A&M we often had to creatively derive and come up with mathematical equations we had never seen before in order to solve difficult problems. Different people approached the problems in different ways, and there was quite a bit of creativity going on in our mathematical approach to various engineering dilemmas. Higher math can be very creative, not to mention terrific fun!

Carole C

Julie on 12/07/02 at 08:45 (102058)

Carole, I think you should look at a map of Great Britain. London to Scotland, two hours?! The last time we drove up to Edinburgh it took us three days. Okay, we were ambling on nice back roads. But it's at least an eight-hour drive on crowded motorways and that wouldn't get you far enough north to see the snow.

I shall just have to dream, I think. (More relaxing - you have no idea how awful Britain's roads are these days.)

nancy s. on 12/07/02 at 09:11 (102059)

julie, it was kind of you to post about that snow forecast, the one not relevant to yourself. i'm sure elliott was very pleased.

elliott, we had some sparkling flakes come down last night. they were beautiful. now we have three inches on the ground. but maybe you'll like this better, because it's VERY intellectual: as a freshman in college i had a hankering to write a scientific paper on snowflakes. i searched for resource material everywhere in the library and found nothing. the librarian searched everywhere in the library and found nothing. no paper on snowflakes.

nancy

Julie on 12/07/02 at 09:44 (102061)

Nancy, you are awfully lucky to have had three whole inches. Is it staying on the ground? Ours never does. (I think I'm repeating myself...)

I cannot believe there is no written material on snowflakes. Have you tried the internet? They do say, no two are alike...I am off to do a Goodle search. Sorry, Google.

And did you know that the Inuit vocabulary has over 200 words to describe snow? That, if nothing else, should show us all how serious a subject snow is.

john h on 12/07/02 at 09:53 (102064)

This morinings paper: Pie (as in math) has been carried out to in excess of over 1 trillion yes 1 TRILLION decimem points. Wonder how big a computer figured that out?

john h on 12/07/02 at 09:54 (102065)

Carole everyone in the south knows ' pie are round ' not 'pie are squared'. Math jokes sort of suck.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 11:46 (102077)

That is cute, John. :)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 11:47 (102078)

John, that would be a BIG computer. lol

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 11:52 (102079)

Nancy, I am pretty sure that I read a paper about snowflakes in Scientific American a couple of decades back or three or four. It seems to me that it was addressing the question of whether or not it could be true that no two snowflakes are identical. It's an interesting mathematical problem that you might enjoy reading about. I wish I had the reference to give you!

Carole C

wendyn on 12/07/02 at 12:40 (102093)

The Inuit vocabulary would have so many words for snow, because there is so little else to discuss.

That's some most bad grammar think I.

I am caring today little.

john h on 12/07/02 at 13:15 (102102)

Read a similar article Carole and it flatly stated no two snow flakes are identifical. Now explanin to me how they know that.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 13:35 (102107)

It seems to me that according to the known angles allowed in the ice latticework they figured out how many possibilities exist, and they computed an approximate number of snowflakes, and the ratio of these two numbers gave them the chances that two would be identical. Sounds like a whole lot of unjustified assumptions, but I'd hate to be tasked with disproving their hypothesis!

Carole C

wendyn on 12/07/02 at 16:55 (102120)

If you stand in the snow and stick your tongue out, what is the probability that you will catch a snow flake on your tongue?

What is the probability that this snowflake will resemble Michael Jackson?

Re: From a math website

wendyn on 12/07/02 at 16:58 (102122)

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, asimovd wrote:

> Someone else claimed that with all the snowstorms that have ever occurred
> anywhere in the universe, surely some snowflake has been repeated by now.

Who, when, where claimed this? What was the argument?

> My feeling was that with (seat-of-the pants estimate) each snowflake
> involving >= 10000 choices (at the molecular level) and each choice
> involving >= 2 options, there must be at least 2^10000 > 10^3000 as a
> minimum number of snowflake patterns. This seems to argue against any
> possible repetition.

Did you realize that you assumed that the 'choices' in snowflake formation
are made -independently-? Even assuming you have reasonably modeled
(approximately) the choices executed in forming a snowflake, this
assumption is obviously untenable!

Chris Hillman

nancy s. on 12/07/02 at 18:36 (102137)

i almost missed this post, wendy, which would have been a shame, because i know the answer to both your questions.

the probability of catching a snowflake on your tongue while standing in a snowstorm is 92.961998994%.

the probability that the snowflake will resemble michael jackson is 100%.

glad to be of service.

nancy

john h on 12/07/02 at 18:53 (102142)

Wendy: If you are 100 yards from cover and it is snowing will you get more snow on you if you walk or run as fast as you can?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/02 at 20:06 (102157)

If it doesn't look like Michael Jackson when it lands on your tongue, it probably will in a minute or two.

Oh BAD joke. I should stand in the corner!

Carole C

john h on 12/07/02 at 20:44 (102162)

I will tell you one guy who could catch a snow flake on his tongue and that is the dude with 'Kiss'! He could catch a snow ball.

JudyS on 12/08/02 at 19:43 (102289)

Wendy - have you been drinking Mimosas again? :)

Nancy N on 12/08/02 at 19:48 (102290)

John--

The only problem with walking her through the install is that once she's started it, if she runs into trouble she may have trouble getting in touch with either of us via the net. I know she hates the phone, but we might have to get her number, or give her ours, before she gets going, just in case.

Nancy N on 12/08/02 at 19:50 (102293)

Whoa, wait, hold the phone for a minute.... I leave you people alone for two days and come back to find out that now I'm supposedly mathematical, of all unholy things? I imagine that might have been intended as a compliment but I assure you I can find many many many math teachers/professors who will be MORE than willing to swear on a stack of bibles that I have an EXTREMELY faulty math gene, so much so that it's a wonder I have one at all!!

I hesitate to wonder aloud if you meant 'calculating' instead, which would be even more questionable!!!

;)

wendyn on 12/08/02 at 19:53 (102295)

Judy - what are mimosas?