Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Mayo Health Letter

Posted by john h on 11/28/02 at 09:54 (101330)

Just received my Mayo Clinc Monthly health letter. In it they covered PF. I was very disappointed. From readin it you wold think that this is no big deal and with a few simple things we discuss all the time it will go away. The last paragraph briefly mentioned ESWT but said it could possible damage the nerves. It also showed a standing runners stretch. I really expected more from Mayo. I guess this is directed at the 90% of the people who quickly recover. I wish the Doctor who wrote it would visit this site. It just confirms that there are really very few Doctors informed and equipped to deal with those suffering from 'Chronic' PF.

Re: Mayo Health Letter

nancy s. on 11/28/02 at 10:29 (101331)

john, that sounds like the Readers Digest version or the Parade magazine version. pathetic! and seriously misleading. maybe as a subscriber you should set them straight....
n

Re: Disillusioned/Unimpressed with Mayo

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 12:22 (101335)

John, when I first got PF and didn't know what I know now, my brother sent me and my other relatives a link to some article on the Mayo clinic site. The article supports his belief that the reason for PF is being overweight, and that the cure for PF is losing weight. It too seemed to equate PF with tired feet.

My other brother told me that the article was irrefutable because it was on the Mayo clinic site and that I shouldn't try any conservative treatments but should accept that I'd never get rid of my PF until I reached my ideal weight.

I don't think too much of the Mayo clinic's outlook on PF, for that reason. My PF is now gone, and I have not lost any more weight (in fact, I have unfortunately gained a few pounds which I'm trying very hard to lose). So I guess that is as miraculous as the Virgin Birth, if one believes the article.

I got NO support from my family due to that article, since they all firmly believe that it's a weight issue only and evidence of gluttony, something to be ashamed of and not something to merit any kind or caring thoughts. I told them about Wendy, who isn't overweight, and they suggested she was lying. So, I give up.

You can't argue with the Mayo clinic. But you can sure be outraged by some of the uninformed material they put out.

Carole C

Re: P.S. - I think either Dr. Z or Dr. Ed knows more about PF than twenty Mayo Clinics!!! just my opinion (eom)

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 12:30 (101336)

nancy s. on 11/28/02 at 14:56 (101344)

carole, that's awful! how disappointing for you. have you ever sent them scott's pf book, or sections of it? reading scott's book was what finally convinced my husband i wasn't being a big baby over nothing! not that he SAID that, but i suspected he was sometimes wondering. anyway, if they'd read it, it would certainly educate your family about the many causes and exacerbating factors of pf.

happy thanksgiving!

nancy

Mar on 11/28/02 at 14:58 (101346)

I weigh 110 lbs and have a horrible case of PF for over a year! So forget about the weight issue! (Well now I weigh 115 because I don;t exercise anymore!!) Mar

Julie on 11/28/02 at 16:40 (101351)

John you would be doing a service to the 1% of humanity that has PF if you were to enlighten the Mayo Clinic. That's shameful.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 18:07 (101357)

No, they've already made up their minds that the Mayo Clinic must be some kind of ultimate authority and they'd just say that Scott has no medical credentials.

That's ok. Like most of us, I didn't get to pick my family. I do get the chance to try to somehow get along with them, so I just don't talk to them about my health any more.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 18:10 (101358)

Exactly! But my family would not believe you. I really think the Mayo Clinic should come down here at their own expense and educate my family about what PF is REALLY like, and what really causes it! LOL

Carole C

wendyn on 11/28/02 at 19:00 (101359)

I'm lying!!!? That's so sad.

Granted, I don't have chronic PF, but I've had 2 acute cases...and I've heard of lots of cases where doctors have blamed TTS on weight.

I am almost 5 foot 2 and according to the scale today I'm 119.1 lbs. I've gained about 5 pounds since I started weight training. I don't think that's over weight in anyones's book.

Carole, I'm sorry that the article has affected the support from your family.

That's awful.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 21:09 (101365)

Well, like I said, we don't get to choose our families. I try to keep my distance pretty much. The support on this board was really good when I needed it. Thanks for caring.

Carole C

Julie on 11/29/02 at 02:50 (101382)

Wendy, don't I remember from a couple of years back that you told us your doctor kept telling you not to gain weight (when he couldn't think of anything else to say)!?

Carole, I'm not overweight either. Nor is John, nor is Nancy S, nor is Laurie, nor is Suzanne, nor is....

But don't bother to tell your family. They'll think we're all liars. :)

wendyn on 11/29/02 at 07:23 (101387)

You're right Julie (good memory!)

I've had more than one doctor tell me to never gain weight. Of course, this just makes me want to eat - and then be preoccupied with weight (how healthy is that?).

I am 100% positive that if I was overweight, my doctors would blame ALL my foot problems on that.

I mentioned once that one doctor visablly ached to try to find a way to blame it on something as self inflicted as weighing too much.

Carole, maybe you should print this thread and show it to them.

Or - you just send them over to my place and I'll give them an earful.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/29/02 at 07:32 (101388)

Wendy, unfortunately no amount of heel pain books and threads of conversation between people with heel pain has the authority of an article from (and ostensibly endorsed by) the Mayo Clinic.

That's why I'm not too happy with the Mayo Clinic. With authority comes responsibility, and it doesn't seem to me that they are living up to that responsibility (at least, not in the way I would like to see them live up to it).

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/01/02 at 23:27 (101574)

Carole:

I see a lot of skinny patients with PF. Weight is one of the contributory factors -- but only one.

I would not lose any sleep over the information from the Mayo Clinic. They have strengths in certain areas and weaknesses in others and work hard to make their name prestigious. Prestige cures few people.
Ed

nancy s. on 11/28/02 at 10:29 (101331)

john, that sounds like the Readers Digest version or the Parade magazine version. pathetic! and seriously misleading. maybe as a subscriber you should set them straight....
n

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 12:22 (101335)

John, when I first got PF and didn't know what I know now, my brother sent me and my other relatives a link to some article on the Mayo clinic site. The article supports his belief that the reason for PF is being overweight, and that the cure for PF is losing weight. It too seemed to equate PF with tired feet.

My other brother told me that the article was irrefutable because it was on the Mayo clinic site and that I shouldn't try any conservative treatments but should accept that I'd never get rid of my PF until I reached my ideal weight.

I don't think too much of the Mayo clinic's outlook on PF, for that reason. My PF is now gone, and I have not lost any more weight (in fact, I have unfortunately gained a few pounds which I'm trying very hard to lose). So I guess that is as miraculous as the Virgin Birth, if one believes the article.

I got NO support from my family due to that article, since they all firmly believe that it's a weight issue only and evidence of gluttony, something to be ashamed of and not something to merit any kind or caring thoughts. I told them about Wendy, who isn't overweight, and they suggested she was lying. So, I give up.

You can't argue with the Mayo clinic. But you can sure be outraged by some of the uninformed material they put out.

Carole C

Re: P.S. - I think either Dr. Z or Dr. Ed knows more about PF than twenty Mayo Clinics!!! just my opinion (eom)

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 12:30 (101336)

nancy s. on 11/28/02 at 14:56 (101344)

carole, that's awful! how disappointing for you. have you ever sent them scott's pf book, or sections of it? reading scott's book was what finally convinced my husband i wasn't being a big baby over nothing! not that he SAID that, but i suspected he was sometimes wondering. anyway, if they'd read it, it would certainly educate your family about the many causes and exacerbating factors of pf.

happy thanksgiving!

nancy

Mar on 11/28/02 at 14:58 (101346)

I weigh 110 lbs and have a horrible case of PF for over a year! So forget about the weight issue! (Well now I weigh 115 because I don;t exercise anymore!!) Mar

Julie on 11/28/02 at 16:40 (101351)

John you would be doing a service to the 1% of humanity that has PF if you were to enlighten the Mayo Clinic. That's shameful.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 18:07 (101357)

No, they've already made up their minds that the Mayo Clinic must be some kind of ultimate authority and they'd just say that Scott has no medical credentials.

That's ok. Like most of us, I didn't get to pick my family. I do get the chance to try to somehow get along with them, so I just don't talk to them about my health any more.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 18:10 (101358)

Exactly! But my family would not believe you. I really think the Mayo Clinic should come down here at their own expense and educate my family about what PF is REALLY like, and what really causes it! LOL

Carole C

wendyn on 11/28/02 at 19:00 (101359)

I'm lying!!!? That's so sad.

Granted, I don't have chronic PF, but I've had 2 acute cases...and I've heard of lots of cases where doctors have blamed TTS on weight.

I am almost 5 foot 2 and according to the scale today I'm 119.1 lbs. I've gained about 5 pounds since I started weight training. I don't think that's over weight in anyones's book.

Carole, I'm sorry that the article has affected the support from your family.

That's awful.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 21:09 (101365)

Well, like I said, we don't get to choose our families. I try to keep my distance pretty much. The support on this board was really good when I needed it. Thanks for caring.

Carole C

Julie on 11/29/02 at 02:50 (101382)

Wendy, don't I remember from a couple of years back that you told us your doctor kept telling you not to gain weight (when he couldn't think of anything else to say)!?

Carole, I'm not overweight either. Nor is John, nor is Nancy S, nor is Laurie, nor is Suzanne, nor is....

But don't bother to tell your family. They'll think we're all liars. :)

wendyn on 11/29/02 at 07:23 (101387)

You're right Julie (good memory!)

I've had more than one doctor tell me to never gain weight. Of course, this just makes me want to eat - and then be preoccupied with weight (how healthy is that?).

I am 100% positive that if I was overweight, my doctors would blame ALL my foot problems on that.

I mentioned once that one doctor visablly ached to try to find a way to blame it on something as self inflicted as weighing too much.

Carole, maybe you should print this thread and show it to them.

Or - you just send them over to my place and I'll give them an earful.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/29/02 at 07:32 (101388)

Wendy, unfortunately no amount of heel pain books and threads of conversation between people with heel pain has the authority of an article from (and ostensibly endorsed by) the Mayo Clinic.

That's why I'm not too happy with the Mayo Clinic. With authority comes responsibility, and it doesn't seem to me that they are living up to that responsibility (at least, not in the way I would like to see them live up to it).

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/01/02 at 23:27 (101574)

Carole:

I see a lot of skinny patients with PF. Weight is one of the contributory factors -- but only one.

I would not lose any sleep over the information from the Mayo Clinic. They have strengths in certain areas and weaknesses in others and work hard to make their name prestigious. Prestige cures few people.
Ed