Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cold weather

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 18:01 (101356)

BRRR! Have any of you felt reluctant to recommend icing to people this week? It's SO COLD here that I feel like my feet are two blocks of ice. I put on some warm socks, but my feet are still cold.

Wendy must be totally frozen by now!!!

Carole C

Re: Cold weather

wendyn on 11/28/02 at 19:02 (101360)

Nope - spring like weather.

We've had a chinook for several days now, I think the forecast high today was about 14C. No snow as far as the eye can see.

Yipeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carynz on 11/28/02 at 19:35 (101361)

heh Wendy. do our friends to the south know what you are talking about when you tell them you are having a chinook!!! There are many canucks who don't know what they are either unless they have had the pleasure of seeing one and feeling the air pressure change. Oh I feel a big headache coming on.
Hope all is well, nice to see Calgary with such gorgeous weather, we too have been having nice blue sky sunny days here in the valley but it's frosty in the early mornings. We hope to be home for Christmas about Dec 23 to Jan 4 or 5 but will let y ou know as we get closer.

Cheers
Carynz

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 21:14 (101366)

Wendy, 14C is 57F!! That's no fair. It wasn't even that warm down here. It was in the mid 50's and I about half froze. I turned the heat up from 60 to 74 (from 15C to 23C) before I felt like I was just cold instead of frozen.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 21:16 (101367)

I don't have the slightest idea of what a Chinook is, but from your descriptions I'd guess it's a warm wind from the south. (?)

I'm glad you and Wendy aren't unusually cold, Caryn!

Carole C

Suzanne D on 11/28/02 at 22:00 (101372)

I don't know what a Chinook is, either, but it sounds pleasant for our Canadian friends, so I am glad for them! It sounds like an Eskimo word to me ~ which shows my ignorance of the matter! But you know I do love to learn new things, so I'll look forward to the explanation. I'll have to pass it along to my children some time.

Suzanne :-)

wendyn on 11/28/02 at 23:36 (101379)

Suzanne, I'll have to look up some info on chinooks for you...since I'm not completely informed on them myself.

From what I recall, I think it's a native indian word. We're just east of the mountains, and from time to time we have a low (I think) pressure system move in that brings very strong, dry, warm wind from the west (over the mountains). It creates a big 'arch' in the sky, because it pushes all the clouds off to the east. It looks like someone has taken a big shovel and pushed them all off to one side.

I believe they only happen in and around where I live (along the east side of the mountains). The winds don't make it very far east. They're great in the winter because it can warm up to spring temperatures really fast. I was married in February, and it was so warm that no one even wore a jacket to the wedding. Of course, when the chinook disappears - the temperature plummets real fast.

The other bad thing about chinooks is the pressure change. It triggers migraines in some people, and for me - it can actually make my ears hurt.

john h on 11/29/02 at 09:14 (101396)

In pilot speake a Chinook is a very large twin rotor helicopter.

dave r on 11/29/02 at 11:17 (101406)

I thought a chinook was a fish?

carynz on 11/29/02 at 12:05 (101414)

actually 'Chinook' it's a huge shopping centre with tons of great shopping and a mulitplex theatre with all the latest hi tech laser stuff!!!!

LOL :)caryn

dave r on 11/29/02 at 12:16 (101416)

check this link out
http://www.fishoregon.com/

carynz on 11/29/02 at 16:31 (101432)

heh Dave is that apicture of you with #33 Chinook!! or is it a hobby of yours.

cheers Caryn

dave r on 12/02/02 at 07:40 (101582)

I wish i could travel more to do the things that i love. It is a big fish! But thats not me :))))

wendyn on 11/28/02 at 19:02 (101360)

Nope - spring like weather.

We've had a chinook for several days now, I think the forecast high today was about 14C. No snow as far as the eye can see.

Yipeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carynz on 11/28/02 at 19:35 (101361)

heh Wendy. do our friends to the south know what you are talking about when you tell them you are having a chinook!!! There are many canucks who don't know what they are either unless they have had the pleasure of seeing one and feeling the air pressure change. Oh I feel a big headache coming on.
Hope all is well, nice to see Calgary with such gorgeous weather, we too have been having nice blue sky sunny days here in the valley but it's frosty in the early mornings. We hope to be home for Christmas about Dec 23 to Jan 4 or 5 but will let y ou know as we get closer.

Cheers
Carynz

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 21:14 (101366)

Wendy, 14C is 57F!! That's no fair. It wasn't even that warm down here. It was in the mid 50's and I about half froze. I turned the heat up from 60 to 74 (from 15C to 23C) before I felt like I was just cold instead of frozen.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 11/28/02 at 21:16 (101367)

I don't have the slightest idea of what a Chinook is, but from your descriptions I'd guess it's a warm wind from the south. (?)

I'm glad you and Wendy aren't unusually cold, Caryn!

Carole C

Suzanne D on 11/28/02 at 22:00 (101372)

I don't know what a Chinook is, either, but it sounds pleasant for our Canadian friends, so I am glad for them! It sounds like an Eskimo word to me ~ which shows my ignorance of the matter! But you know I do love to learn new things, so I'll look forward to the explanation. I'll have to pass it along to my children some time.

Suzanne :-)

wendyn on 11/28/02 at 23:36 (101379)

Suzanne, I'll have to look up some info on chinooks for you...since I'm not completely informed on them myself.

From what I recall, I think it's a native indian word. We're just east of the mountains, and from time to time we have a low (I think) pressure system move in that brings very strong, dry, warm wind from the west (over the mountains). It creates a big 'arch' in the sky, because it pushes all the clouds off to the east. It looks like someone has taken a big shovel and pushed them all off to one side.

I believe they only happen in and around where I live (along the east side of the mountains). The winds don't make it very far east. They're great in the winter because it can warm up to spring temperatures really fast. I was married in February, and it was so warm that no one even wore a jacket to the wedding. Of course, when the chinook disappears - the temperature plummets real fast.

The other bad thing about chinooks is the pressure change. It triggers migraines in some people, and for me - it can actually make my ears hurt.

john h on 11/29/02 at 09:14 (101396)

In pilot speake a Chinook is a very large twin rotor helicopter.

dave r on 11/29/02 at 11:17 (101406)

I thought a chinook was a fish?

carynz on 11/29/02 at 12:05 (101414)

actually 'Chinook' it's a huge shopping centre with tons of great shopping and a mulitplex theatre with all the latest hi tech laser stuff!!!!

LOL :)caryn

dave r on 11/29/02 at 12:16 (101416)

check this link out
http://www.fishoregon.com/

carynz on 11/29/02 at 16:31 (101432)

heh Dave is that apicture of you with #33 Chinook!! or is it a hobby of yours.

cheers Caryn

dave r on 12/02/02 at 07:40 (101582)

I wish i could travel more to do the things that i love. It is a big fish! But thats not me :))))