Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

About military pilots.....continued from the treatment page

Posted by Kathy G on 11/29/02 at 11:49 (101410)

I'm terrified of flying. For many years, I let it stand in the way of my traveling. The untimely death of a young family member made me look at life a whole lot differently and I vowed I would never stay at home again because of my irrational fear. I can't say that we've traveled a great deal more since that time but that has been due to having kids in college, not my fear. I still hate it but I'm getting better!

My brother-in-law attended Annapolis and was a radar operator on a Phantom jet in Vietnam. His big goal in life was to be Navy pilot but he had a history of asthma and his eyesight was not perfect. He ended up becoming a Marine where he would at least be able to fly, even if he wasn't a pilot. When he left the military, he stayed in the reserves and continued to fly. His favorite thing was night flying. He finally retired completely about ten years ago but he really misses it.

He has told me time and time again that the majority of commercial pilots were military pilots and my sister says he can even tell from the way the plane is landed whether or not the pilot was military. I can't remember the exact reasons; I know that they were on a very turbulent flight due to poor weather conditions during one of their recent trips. After they landed and he said that, my sister said she would have felt a lot better knowing he was military at the beginning of the turbulent flight. He facetiously told her that from now on, he'd go to the cockpit and check out the pilots before the plane takes off!

We have a young friend who became a pilot by attending a local, four-year aeronautical institute. He has the same fearlessness that my brother-in-law possesses. It's not a recklessness; it's the lack of fear because he know's he's trained to respond in an emergency. He's doing quite well despite the fact that the airlines aren't hiring. While he was at college, he complained to me that his parents insist he get a B.S. instead of attending a airline pilot's training school. Now he says they were right. If he hadn't been able to get a position as a pilot, he would have had some other education to fall back on. He's a few years older than my daughter, and as always, it was so nice to hear a child say that his parents were right! It always gives us such hope!

Hope everyone had a good day yesterday. We had a great time but I got violently ill last night around 10PM and never even went to sleep until 5AM. Today I am useless so instead of decorating the tree, I will be watching college football. Glad there's some good games on!

P.S. Yes, I made the meal but I'm the only one who got sick. I had my son's future father-in-law and sister-in-law to dinner for the first time and while I was barfing my brains out, in the back of my mind, all I could think was that maybe I'd managed to screw something up and this was food poisoning. But I guess it's a bug because I'm the only one who got sick, thank goodness! I suppose it's one way to be sure I didn't gain any weight from the meal!

Have a great weekend all!

Re: I remember now that it was Navy and Air Force pilots..............

Kathy G on 11/29/02 at 11:51 (101411)

He could tell from the way they landed that they must be Air Force or Navy because of their landing procedure.

Re: About military pilots.....continued from the treatment page

john h on 11/30/02 at 09:38 (101490)

Kathy: Do you know where in the Vietnam area your brother in law was statoned. I was stationed at most of the F-4 bases at one time or another. What years was he there. Some of the F-4 bases: Ubon,Korat,Takli,maybe DaNang. I picked up a number of F-4 pilots/radar operators.

Kathy G on 11/30/02 at 11:04 (101501)

I'll find out, John. I can't remember. I'll let you know.

Re: I remember now that it was Navy and Air Force pilots..............

Kathy G on 11/29/02 at 11:51 (101411)

He could tell from the way they landed that they must be Air Force or Navy because of their landing procedure.

john h on 11/30/02 at 09:38 (101490)

Kathy: Do you know where in the Vietnam area your brother in law was statoned. I was stationed at most of the F-4 bases at one time or another. What years was he there. Some of the F-4 bases: Ubon,Korat,Takli,maybe DaNang. I picked up a number of F-4 pilots/radar operators.

Kathy G on 11/30/02 at 11:04 (101501)

I'll find out, John. I can't remember. I'll let you know.