Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

peripheral neuropathy/foot pain

Posted by Ken B. on 11/29/02 at 12:39 (101420)

I have been diagnosed with periphal neuropathy by my M.D. My entire metatarsal region of my feet are numb,tingle and at night in bed I have sharp pains that begin at the end of my toes which shoot up my leg causing my leg to jerk and quiver keeping me awake. I have to a podiatrist several times and it just seems to be a waste of money. If you have any ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks

Re: peripheral neuropathy/foot pain

Julie on 11/29/02 at 16:08 (101430)

Ken, I can't remember if you have posted before about a foot condition that may have caused your peripheral neuropathy - have you?

Peripheral neuropathy, as its title implies, is a pathological condition of the peripheral nervous system that can affect the legs and arms. It is not a disease in itself, but a symptom of an underlying illness. It is important to find out what is causing it so that it can be treated: the earlier the better, as some of the underlying conditions can cause progressive damage to the nerves.

Your doctor should refer you on to a neurologists for tests to determine the underlying cause, whatever it is. (If you KNOW it started with a foot problem, that's a different story, but it can still be treated.)

Do a Google search on Peripheral Neuropathy. The top link is to an excellent UK-based site with lots of information.

carynz on 11/29/02 at 16:44 (101436)

Ken, go to http://www.neuropathy.org for more information to read on PN.

Cheers, Carynz

Ken B. on 12/01/02 at 12:17 (101551)

Julie, No I have never posted here before. My Dr. informs me that peripheral neuropathy is non treatable

Dr. Z on 12/01/02 at 12:30 (101554)

You can't cure periperal neuropathy but there are treatments that could help you. It all depends on the cause and the degree of the problem. This is a very hard disease to help everyone . Learn as much as you can about this disease is the first line of treatment Good luck

Julie on 12/01/02 at 14:46 (101561)

Ken, the important thing is to establish the cause. That is why I asked you if you knew that your foot problem was the cause. If that has been established, there are still treatments that can alleviate the pain and discomfort.

If something else is causing the peripheral neuropathy, it's vital that you find out what the cause is, so that the cause can be addressed. Many illnesses can cause it. I don't mean this to alarm you, but diabetes is one, and there are a number of diseases that attack the peripheral nervous system.

DAVID on 12/02/02 at 18:20 (101610)

HOW DOM I USE THE THREE POINT GRIR

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/03/02 at 18:00 (101698)

Ken:

I cannot imagine a doctor informing you that peripheral neuropathy is not treatable without even determining the cause. Julie is correct in stating that you need to determine the cause of the neuropathy. Many causes have treatments available and there are a few that do not.

It is important that you find a doctor who will do a complete workup!
Ed

Julie on 11/29/02 at 16:08 (101430)

Ken, I can't remember if you have posted before about a foot condition that may have caused your peripheral neuropathy - have you?

Peripheral neuropathy, as its title implies, is a pathological condition of the peripheral nervous system that can affect the legs and arms. It is not a disease in itself, but a symptom of an underlying illness. It is important to find out what is causing it so that it can be treated: the earlier the better, as some of the underlying conditions can cause progressive damage to the nerves.

Your doctor should refer you on to a neurologists for tests to determine the underlying cause, whatever it is. (If you KNOW it started with a foot problem, that's a different story, but it can still be treated.)

Do a Google search on Peripheral Neuropathy. The top link is to an excellent UK-based site with lots of information.

carynz on 11/29/02 at 16:44 (101436)

Ken, go to http://www.neuropathy.org for more information to read on PN.

Cheers, Carynz

Ken B. on 12/01/02 at 12:17 (101551)

Julie, No I have never posted here before. My Dr. informs me that peripheral neuropathy is non treatable

Dr. Z on 12/01/02 at 12:30 (101554)

You can't cure periperal neuropathy but there are treatments that could help you. It all depends on the cause and the degree of the problem. This is a very hard disease to help everyone . Learn as much as you can about this disease is the first line of treatment Good luck

Julie on 12/01/02 at 14:46 (101561)

Ken, the important thing is to establish the cause. That is why I asked you if you knew that your foot problem was the cause. If that has been established, there are still treatments that can alleviate the pain and discomfort.

If something else is causing the peripheral neuropathy, it's vital that you find out what the cause is, so that the cause can be addressed. Many illnesses can cause it. I don't mean this to alarm you, but diabetes is one, and there are a number of diseases that attack the peripheral nervous system.

DAVID on 12/02/02 at 18:20 (101610)

HOW DOM I USE THE THREE POINT GRIR

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/03/02 at 18:00 (101698)

Ken:

I cannot imagine a doctor informing you that peripheral neuropathy is not treatable without even determining the cause. Julie is correct in stating that you need to determine the cause of the neuropathy. Many causes have treatments available and there are a few that do not.

It is important that you find a doctor who will do a complete workup!
Ed