Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Run

Posted by Annette on 11/30/02 at 01:30 (101465)

what I would give to be able to go for a nice long run, I can't stand it any longer. I just want my feet
back . This is a 3 year nightmare and I dont think that it is ever going to go away. .............just had to get that off my chest.

Re: Run

Jane on 11/30/02 at 01:36 (101466)

I know what you mean....I've had plantarfacitis for almost 4-5 years now....May of 2001 I had orthodics made. They are finally starting to work!!!! UGH!! Now I'm still in pain but I can walk again if I'm already on my feet.....But at nite....forget it still!! And with the holidays I'm on my feet alot....I started walking my puppy around the block again (it's almost a mile) once I start walking I'm okay....but I pay for it big time later....

Carole C in NOLA on 11/30/02 at 06:36 (101471)

Sorry to hear that you two are having such long term PF. That is so hard, especially going into the holiday season. There is STILL hope, though I know that is probably hard to believe. Many of us have recovered completely, and some like Mohez even had PF for many years and then recovered completely.

So don't give up hope... keep fighting against it, re-read the heel pain book and keep working to find out what helps your feet and what causes your set-backs! If walking the puppy is causing you set-backs, then you know what you must do. You may be able to run yet, one of these days, and believe me, you'll appreciate it a lot more than the average person.

You never know what life will bring!

Carole C

Annette on 12/01/02 at 09:41 (101539)

Ah yes, I know the pay back part of it very well, it never shows up right away, but when it hits you, it is usually a bomb!

Annette on 12/01/02 at 09:46 (101540)

Thank you Carol,
I will not give up hope, usually I can stay positive pretty wel for the most part, but every once in a while I just break down into a big hopeless
pity party. And your right, if I am ever able to run again I WILL appreciate very very much!
Annette

elliott on 12/01/02 at 09:47 (101541)

I'm with you, Annette. It's been over two years since my last run. I doubt I'll ever run again. I'm very depressed about it. And don't let anyone fool you: nothing compares to a run, and it's not easy getting over it.

Annette on 12/01/02 at 12:05 (101550)

Got that right Elliott, nothing compares to running at all, and boy do I understand how you are feeling depressed about it! I swim, road and Mt.bike, rollerblade, x-country ski, & weight train, and although I would have never gotten so involved and competitive in some of these sports if I was not able to run, I still would rather be running a long distance run on the road, or through the woods with a bunch of my running buddies. Most of the time I feel that I will never be able to run the distances that I was able to run before, but every once in a while I get a glimmer of hope and think that maybe in 5 years I will be able to run like I want, if I take good care of my feet now and let them heal. Who knows, it's so hard to tell right now. But I guess that It really could be alot worse though, at least we are able to have that glimmer of hope , while so many other people are worse off and will never even be able exersize at all because of more serious problems. I wish you luck Elliott, and if I ever get to the point where I am running again, I'll let you know how it goes!
Annette

Carole C in NOLA on 12/01/02 at 12:27 (101553)

Annette, hang in there. It's not like nobody ever gets better, really! Lots of people do, even those who have chronic PF. You just need to think positively, realign your priorities, and keep the faith and keep working on finding your way out of this. It's one of those situations where instant gratification or anything remotely close to that is flat out impossible. It takes a lot of time and more patience than seems possible, but you CAN do it.

One thing that helps on this board is that you can talk to people here who also had PF and have healed and are now able to engage in all the same activities as before. Julie and I are among them, and there are many more. If my recollection is correct Judy S. is feeling awfully good these days too, as well as others.

Carole C

Bob R on 12/02/02 at 16:17 (101604)

Annette

Don't give up hope. I ran for years until I got a good case of PF. I thought I could run throught it. Not so. I went the surgery route and had a release and removeal of the spur. Healed in a year. Ran until I developed posttibula tendonitis. Thought that my running was over. Sought the help of a young Pod. He prescribed an orthotic that corrected the tendon problem. Eventuallly, inflammation went away. Now I can run at 98 percent of what I used to do. I am very big on the surgery. I know the board members kind of frown on it as a first strategy. I don't. If I had it to do over, I would get cut on as soon as possible. Good luck!

Tammie on 12/02/02 at 18:52 (101613)

Hope This is the word for each month! Tho it seems onimus at times it is still a verry important word is each of our lives! I some times feel as I am selfish as look at the ones who are so worse off and hear I sit hear whining to myself and stop to think, ok enough get back off my behind and so a bit of that yummy stretching and look at my day much diferently!

So what I want to say to you is this! Honey when the world seems so big and you are feeling awful and are thinking that you will NEVER run again or walk or what ever it is, think about those who are worse off and get up shake it off and have your self a workout like your body will do without harm and then get busy busy is good! When I feel down I have to do something anything so that I am acomplishing something rather sitting feeling miserable! Now it might be something small or maybe nothing other then cooking a fab, dinner or figuring how to clean around the toilet with out allowing my one knee bend as that one has been being crabby lately! I have discovered where there is a will there is a way!

I just want to let you know that yes it is crappy a big crappy at times!

Re: crappy oops,

Tammie on 12/02/02 at 18:57 (101615)

Thank God for the loving and supporting place as this as who knows what would happen with out it! It is a very safe and knowledgable place to come ! I hope that your days get better and maybe when you are not even thinking about it it might happen and if not I hope that you give yourself a break from hating yourself for not being able to do what you want! There is answers to all ! We just have to find them , I knew I always hated games lol

Necee on 12/03/02 at 11:12 (101650)

Hi Annette,

I just want to echo everyones remarks here. The encouragment we all get from this board is overwhelming, and it's those words that help get us through the dark days. For PF sufferers, this is our little safe haven, people who have never had foot pain just don't understand what we all go through on a daily basis.

It's ok to have pity partys every once in a while, after all, we are human. But, it's when we allow those emotions to consume us, day in and day out that's the toughest. Find a way Annette to focus on something positive, get involved in a different project, and like Laurie said, think about others who are less fortunate. I have been in your situation many times, it's when I stop and really think about others, their pains and troubles, only then do I not feel so bad about my situation. That doesn't mean that the pain goes away, it's just a way of making it through a difficult day.

I would also suggest to you Annette, try different techniques. Different shoes with good support, it wasn't until I started wearing Birks that I noticed a big improvemnt, taping, icing more often, etc. If you don't notice an improvement, then try something new. How about medication? Are you taking anything for the pain? I tried several kinds until I finally found something that would work for me.

The road to healing is a long, and bumpy one, I took the aggressive route two years ago, without surgery, and I'm almost there!!!!

Happy trails.....

Necee

Annette on 12/04/02 at 10:08 (101755)

thanks for all of your comments, it is great to hear from all of you, it really does help! I Finally broke down at the end of August and had ESWT done, and felt like I was improving only to have a huge setback after week 9-10, but this last week I feel like maybe I am moving forward again (i'm almost afraid to say it!) I am going to follow your advise, I have been wanting to buy a pair of Birks, but just never bothered, I think that I will break down and buy a pair and also get back to icing heating and taping more often. My custom made orthotics were working well I thought, but I have developed painful lumps under both of my arches because of them, so I had to stop wearing them, my feet do nott feel like they have the support that I am used to, so I have been trying different inserts, maybe the birks will help. And last but not least, I am going to get my mind off of my feet! It is the most pitiful thing when you walk around everyday of your life consentrating on your feet! NO MORE FEET thoughts1
Thanks,
Annette

JudyS on 12/04/02 at 11:38 (101776)

Amen to that 'nothing compares' Elliott.

JudyS on 12/04/02 at 11:40 (101777)

Carole - you are right, my feet are doing remarkably well. I have two last hurdles; one, wearing athletic shoes for any length of time and, two, wearing them to go for a run! I started seeing a sports-med pod this week and we're going to experiment with orthotics for my running shoes.

Necee on 12/04/02 at 12:28 (101783)

Your attitude sounds great Annette!! You go girl! If you're considering buying Birks, please go to a store that specializes in them, and try on several pair, there are many styles now, you want to get the ones that are best for your feet. Also, you can purchase them cheaper online from the German website, many sufferers get fitted in the store then order them online. I didn't do that, cause I was desperate and didn't want to wait for them to get here.
Let us know how things go.

Happy trails.....

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 12/04/02 at 12:33 (101785)

Fantastic! Sounds like you are getting there, Judy. When the time comes, enjoy the run. :)

Carole C

Jane on 11/30/02 at 01:36 (101466)

I know what you mean....I've had plantarfacitis for almost 4-5 years now....May of 2001 I had orthodics made. They are finally starting to work!!!! UGH!! Now I'm still in pain but I can walk again if I'm already on my feet.....But at nite....forget it still!! And with the holidays I'm on my feet alot....I started walking my puppy around the block again (it's almost a mile) once I start walking I'm okay....but I pay for it big time later....

Carole C in NOLA on 11/30/02 at 06:36 (101471)

Sorry to hear that you two are having such long term PF. That is so hard, especially going into the holiday season. There is STILL hope, though I know that is probably hard to believe. Many of us have recovered completely, and some like Mohez even had PF for many years and then recovered completely.

So don't give up hope... keep fighting against it, re-read the heel pain book and keep working to find out what helps your feet and what causes your set-backs! If walking the puppy is causing you set-backs, then you know what you must do. You may be able to run yet, one of these days, and believe me, you'll appreciate it a lot more than the average person.

You never know what life will bring!

Carole C

Annette on 12/01/02 at 09:41 (101539)

Ah yes, I know the pay back part of it very well, it never shows up right away, but when it hits you, it is usually a bomb!

Annette on 12/01/02 at 09:46 (101540)

Thank you Carol,
I will not give up hope, usually I can stay positive pretty wel for the most part, but every once in a while I just break down into a big hopeless
pity party. And your right, if I am ever able to run again I WILL appreciate very very much!
Annette

elliott on 12/01/02 at 09:47 (101541)

I'm with you, Annette. It's been over two years since my last run. I doubt I'll ever run again. I'm very depressed about it. And don't let anyone fool you: nothing compares to a run, and it's not easy getting over it.

Annette on 12/01/02 at 12:05 (101550)

Got that right Elliott, nothing compares to running at all, and boy do I understand how you are feeling depressed about it! I swim, road and Mt.bike, rollerblade, x-country ski, & weight train, and although I would have never gotten so involved and competitive in some of these sports if I was not able to run, I still would rather be running a long distance run on the road, or through the woods with a bunch of my running buddies. Most of the time I feel that I will never be able to run the distances that I was able to run before, but every once in a while I get a glimmer of hope and think that maybe in 5 years I will be able to run like I want, if I take good care of my feet now and let them heal. Who knows, it's so hard to tell right now. But I guess that It really could be alot worse though, at least we are able to have that glimmer of hope , while so many other people are worse off and will never even be able exersize at all because of more serious problems. I wish you luck Elliott, and if I ever get to the point where I am running again, I'll let you know how it goes!
Annette

Carole C in NOLA on 12/01/02 at 12:27 (101553)

Annette, hang in there. It's not like nobody ever gets better, really! Lots of people do, even those who have chronic PF. You just need to think positively, realign your priorities, and keep the faith and keep working on finding your way out of this. It's one of those situations where instant gratification or anything remotely close to that is flat out impossible. It takes a lot of time and more patience than seems possible, but you CAN do it.

One thing that helps on this board is that you can talk to people here who also had PF and have healed and are now able to engage in all the same activities as before. Julie and I are among them, and there are many more. If my recollection is correct Judy S. is feeling awfully good these days too, as well as others.

Carole C

Bob R on 12/02/02 at 16:17 (101604)

Annette

Don't give up hope. I ran for years until I got a good case of PF. I thought I could run throught it. Not so. I went the surgery route and had a release and removeal of the spur. Healed in a year. Ran until I developed posttibula tendonitis. Thought that my running was over. Sought the help of a young Pod. He prescribed an orthotic that corrected the tendon problem. Eventuallly, inflammation went away. Now I can run at 98 percent of what I used to do. I am very big on the surgery. I know the board members kind of frown on it as a first strategy. I don't. If I had it to do over, I would get cut on as soon as possible. Good luck!

Tammie on 12/02/02 at 18:52 (101613)

Hope This is the word for each month! Tho it seems onimus at times it is still a verry important word is each of our lives! I some times feel as I am selfish as look at the ones who are so worse off and hear I sit hear whining to myself and stop to think, ok enough get back off my behind and so a bit of that yummy stretching and look at my day much diferently!

So what I want to say to you is this! Honey when the world seems so big and you are feeling awful and are thinking that you will NEVER run again or walk or what ever it is, think about those who are worse off and get up shake it off and have your self a workout like your body will do without harm and then get busy busy is good! When I feel down I have to do something anything so that I am acomplishing something rather sitting feeling miserable! Now it might be something small or maybe nothing other then cooking a fab, dinner or figuring how to clean around the toilet with out allowing my one knee bend as that one has been being crabby lately! I have discovered where there is a will there is a way!

I just want to let you know that yes it is crappy a big crappy at times!

Re: crappy oops,

Tammie on 12/02/02 at 18:57 (101615)

Thank God for the loving and supporting place as this as who knows what would happen with out it! It is a very safe and knowledgable place to come ! I hope that your days get better and maybe when you are not even thinking about it it might happen and if not I hope that you give yourself a break from hating yourself for not being able to do what you want! There is answers to all ! We just have to find them , I knew I always hated games lol

Necee on 12/03/02 at 11:12 (101650)

Hi Annette,

I just want to echo everyones remarks here. The encouragment we all get from this board is overwhelming, and it's those words that help get us through the dark days. For PF sufferers, this is our little safe haven, people who have never had foot pain just don't understand what we all go through on a daily basis.

It's ok to have pity partys every once in a while, after all, we are human. But, it's when we allow those emotions to consume us, day in and day out that's the toughest. Find a way Annette to focus on something positive, get involved in a different project, and like Laurie said, think about others who are less fortunate. I have been in your situation many times, it's when I stop and really think about others, their pains and troubles, only then do I not feel so bad about my situation. That doesn't mean that the pain goes away, it's just a way of making it through a difficult day.

I would also suggest to you Annette, try different techniques. Different shoes with good support, it wasn't until I started wearing Birks that I noticed a big improvemnt, taping, icing more often, etc. If you don't notice an improvement, then try something new. How about medication? Are you taking anything for the pain? I tried several kinds until I finally found something that would work for me.

The road to healing is a long, and bumpy one, I took the aggressive route two years ago, without surgery, and I'm almost there!!!!

Happy trails.....

Necee

Annette on 12/04/02 at 10:08 (101755)

thanks for all of your comments, it is great to hear from all of you, it really does help! I Finally broke down at the end of August and had ESWT done, and felt like I was improving only to have a huge setback after week 9-10, but this last week I feel like maybe I am moving forward again (i'm almost afraid to say it!) I am going to follow your advise, I have been wanting to buy a pair of Birks, but just never bothered, I think that I will break down and buy a pair and also get back to icing heating and taping more often. My custom made orthotics were working well I thought, but I have developed painful lumps under both of my arches because of them, so I had to stop wearing them, my feet do nott feel like they have the support that I am used to, so I have been trying different inserts, maybe the birks will help. And last but not least, I am going to get my mind off of my feet! It is the most pitiful thing when you walk around everyday of your life consentrating on your feet! NO MORE FEET thoughts1
Thanks,
Annette

JudyS on 12/04/02 at 11:38 (101776)

Amen to that 'nothing compares' Elliott.

JudyS on 12/04/02 at 11:40 (101777)

Carole - you are right, my feet are doing remarkably well. I have two last hurdles; one, wearing athletic shoes for any length of time and, two, wearing them to go for a run! I started seeing a sports-med pod this week and we're going to experiment with orthotics for my running shoes.

Necee on 12/04/02 at 12:28 (101783)

Your attitude sounds great Annette!! You go girl! If you're considering buying Birks, please go to a store that specializes in them, and try on several pair, there are many styles now, you want to get the ones that are best for your feet. Also, you can purchase them cheaper online from the German website, many sufferers get fitted in the store then order them online. I didn't do that, cause I was desperate and didn't want to wait for them to get here.
Let us know how things go.

Happy trails.....

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 12/04/02 at 12:33 (101785)

Fantastic! Sounds like you are getting there, Judy. When the time comes, enjoy the run. :)

Carole C