Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for Dr. Z

Posted by Paul Clark on 11/30/02 at 06:52 (101475)

I've recently completed ESWT treatment for my left foot at Bayshore Clinic 9/27. I've seen little to no improvement in my PF pain. My question concerns the need for an orthotic after my treatment. I've worn orthotics for about 10 years and over the last two years have worn Dr.Kiper's silicone orthotics. I've continued to wear my orthotics post ESWT.
Paul Clark

Re: Question for Paul Clark

JeanieR on 11/30/02 at 10:50 (101496)

Hi Paul..just a question regarding your silicone orthotics..did it make any noticable difference to switch to those over your others? If so, where did you get them?
Paul, 10 years is an awfully long time to suffer with this, I wish you luck in your recovery from ESWT and hope you see relief soon. Jeanie

Re: Question for Dr. Z

Dr. Z on 11/30/02 at 10:56 (101498)

The wearing of orthosis is option unless there is a specific biomechanical reason that they were prescribed to you. I believe you should starting to see some change with your ESWT treatment up twelve weeks with low energy. Contract your treatment center and ask for additional advice

Cori Liuzzi, RMT, ESWT Senior Therapist on 12/02/02 at 14:29 (101597)

Hi Paul,

It has been a few weeks since I last spoke with you. As you are beginning your ninth week of the healing phase of the ESWT treatment I to would like to emphasize that the orthotics should be used if your biomechanics are a problem as Dr Z has mentioned. Following ESWT treatment orthotics are optional and I usually inform all of my patients to use the orthotics if it is helping their feet. I try to have patients follow the same routine prior to treatment following their ESWT treatment to minimize the changes occuring in the foot/heel. Although, you have noticed no improvement to this date I am sure that the next few weeks will help us decide if further treatment is needed. I will monitor your progression through the healing phase and following 12 weeks will discuss the possibility of further treatments with you. Should you notice no improvement at 12 weeks we will retreat you free of charge. Since I have been treating at the clinic I have only had to retreat a handfull of people out of hundreds of patients. I do hope the next few weeks offer improvement to your heel. I will be in touch.

Cori Liuzzi, RMT
ESWT Senior Therapist

Re: Question for Paul Clark

JeanieR on 11/30/02 at 10:50 (101496)

Hi Paul..just a question regarding your silicone orthotics..did it make any noticable difference to switch to those over your others? If so, where did you get them?
Paul, 10 years is an awfully long time to suffer with this, I wish you luck in your recovery from ESWT and hope you see relief soon. Jeanie

Dr. Z on 11/30/02 at 10:56 (101498)

The wearing of orthosis is option unless there is a specific biomechanical reason that they were prescribed to you. I believe you should starting to see some change with your ESWT treatment up twelve weeks with low energy. Contract your treatment center and ask for additional advice

Cori Liuzzi, RMT, ESWT Senior Therapist on 12/02/02 at 14:29 (101597)

Hi Paul,

It has been a few weeks since I last spoke with you. As you are beginning your ninth week of the healing phase of the ESWT treatment I to would like to emphasize that the orthotics should be used if your biomechanics are a problem as Dr Z has mentioned. Following ESWT treatment orthotics are optional and I usually inform all of my patients to use the orthotics if it is helping their feet. I try to have patients follow the same routine prior to treatment following their ESWT treatment to minimize the changes occuring in the foot/heel. Although, you have noticed no improvement to this date I am sure that the next few weeks will help us decide if further treatment is needed. I will monitor your progression through the healing phase and following 12 weeks will discuss the possibility of further treatments with you. Should you notice no improvement at 12 weeks we will retreat you free of charge. Since I have been treating at the clinic I have only had to retreat a handfull of people out of hundreds of patients. I do hope the next few weeks offer improvement to your heel. I will be in touch.

Cori Liuzzi, RMT
ESWT Senior Therapist