Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

another planter fibroma question on treatment

Posted by Donald on 11/30/02 at 14:43 (101511)

I went back to my doctor this morning to get another cortizone shot im my foot for my PF. She had told me there was another shot where they inject medical grade alchole into the lump to try and kill the nurve endings. She says that i would most likely lose all feeling in that part of my foot but to get rid of the pain it may be worth it. i just wanted to know if anyone has had this shot or if a Dr could explain this a bit better for me. thanks

Re: another planter fibroma question on treatment

Dr. Z on 11/30/02 at 15:27 (101512)

This is used for chronic neuroma's . It could reduce or eliminate the pain from the plantar fibroma. I haven't used it for this specific condition however it do the trick. Numbness maybe, but with surgery in that area you could get numbness. Go for the scerotic alcohol injections. It could take up to seven. How are the local steriod injections working?

jimmy r on 11/30/02 at 15:50 (101515)

killing nerves is not a good thing, maybe there's something in the way that is pinching or binding the nerve ,in my case after many series of antiflammory shots there is a cortizone known as repository steroids. wydase or hyaluronidase is a enzyme that breaks down scar tissue and that was my problem, after a injury to the plantar fascia 3 years ago and many pod, ortho, chiro,dr's no one had any idea that scar tissue was binding the nerves, after 2 days i had no pain i could not believe it. so check with your pod or maybe check with another pod because no 2 dr's have the same opinion it took 6 dr's before i found the right treatment. let us know what was your dr's reaction.

Dr. Z on 12/01/02 at 12:32 (101555)

We aren't killing the nerves. I am not sure what repository steriods are but the use of wydase is a another way to treat this difficult condition.

Dr. Z on 11/30/02 at 15:27 (101512)

This is used for chronic neuroma's . It could reduce or eliminate the pain from the plantar fibroma. I haven't used it for this specific condition however it do the trick. Numbness maybe, but with surgery in that area you could get numbness. Go for the scerotic alcohol injections. It could take up to seven. How are the local steriod injections working?

jimmy r on 11/30/02 at 15:50 (101515)

killing nerves is not a good thing, maybe there's something in the way that is pinching or binding the nerve ,in my case after many series of antiflammory shots there is a cortizone known as repository steroids. wydase or hyaluronidase is a enzyme that breaks down scar tissue and that was my problem, after a injury to the plantar fascia 3 years ago and many pod, ortho, chiro,dr's no one had any idea that scar tissue was binding the nerves, after 2 days i had no pain i could not believe it. so check with your pod or maybe check with another pod because no 2 dr's have the same opinion it took 6 dr's before i found the right treatment. let us know what was your dr's reaction.

Dr. Z on 12/01/02 at 12:32 (101555)

We aren't killing the nerves. I am not sure what repository steriods are but the use of wydase is a another way to treat this difficult condition.