Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Decorating 101

Posted by Necee on 12/02/02 at 23:59 (101629)

Well...it's that time of year again, I can't get over how fast this year has gone by. I'm off work until Thurs and so I decided to get my Christmas decorating done early this year.....ha! I spent all day Monday arranging my snowmen collection, and decorating the den.
After enjoying my morning coffee while listening to Christmas music and watching the birds outside my window, I figured I better get it done. As I unwrapped each snowman, I reflected on where I got it,each piece sparked a special though....a gift from a friend, a family member, a neighbor, many others were bought on trips, or purchased in gift shops around town.
I found my moms nativity scene in the closet, and the memories came flooding back, I can remember as a child, her displaying it neatly on top of the old Philco black and white tv.
Even though this task took most of the day, I got more out of it than just displaying a bunch of trivial trinkets around the house.

Happy trails....

Necee

Re: Decorating 101

Suzanne D on 12/03/02 at 15:46 (101683)

I understand and agree heartily, Necee! We put up our decorations Friday as my daughter and her fiance were here, and we could all work together to get it done. It is a trip down memory lane each year. I have so many ornaments and little trinkets which have been given to me by my schoolchildren. They are each precious to me ~ and more so as the years go by. We now have a tree in the living room and one in the family room to accomodate all the ornaments! I have the angels and nativity scenes on the tree in the living room with white lights and the others on the bigger tree in the family room with colored lights. I wanted to get them up early so we could enjoy them. The month gets so hurried, and my daughter won't be out of college until the 13th. So I am happy to have them up already. I know you are, too!

Suzanne :-)

JudyS on 12/04/02 at 11:36 (101775)

I'm so with you on that decorating thing, Necee - I do it exactly the same as you except that I switch from coffee to eggnog and rum as the evening approaches! I have a very dear friend who is unbelievably artful with a scroll saw and paint - many of my favorite Christmas things have come from her over the years. She's in her late 70's now and is having a physically tough winter so far and we're worried a bit about her.
Every year when I unpack the boxes and draw forth her things, I take a minute to call her and describe just what I'm taking out of the boxes - she gets such a tickle out of that.

john h on 12/05/02 at 17:11 (101886)

Judy: I had an eggnog latte at Barnes & Noble yesterday. Probably invented in California. The high here in my part of the south today was around 30 and it was 25 last night.

Suzanne D on 12/03/02 at 15:46 (101683)

I understand and agree heartily, Necee! We put up our decorations Friday as my daughter and her fiance were here, and we could all work together to get it done. It is a trip down memory lane each year. I have so many ornaments and little trinkets which have been given to me by my schoolchildren. They are each precious to me ~ and more so as the years go by. We now have a tree in the living room and one in the family room to accomodate all the ornaments! I have the angels and nativity scenes on the tree in the living room with white lights and the others on the bigger tree in the family room with colored lights. I wanted to get them up early so we could enjoy them. The month gets so hurried, and my daughter won't be out of college until the 13th. So I am happy to have them up already. I know you are, too!

Suzanne :-)

JudyS on 12/04/02 at 11:36 (101775)

I'm so with you on that decorating thing, Necee - I do it exactly the same as you except that I switch from coffee to eggnog and rum as the evening approaches! I have a very dear friend who is unbelievably artful with a scroll saw and paint - many of my favorite Christmas things have come from her over the years. She's in her late 70's now and is having a physically tough winter so far and we're worried a bit about her.
Every year when I unpack the boxes and draw forth her things, I take a minute to call her and describe just what I'm taking out of the boxes - she gets such a tickle out of that.

john h on 12/05/02 at 17:11 (101886)

Judy: I had an eggnog latte at Barnes & Noble yesterday. Probably invented in California. The high here in my part of the south today was around 30 and it was 25 last night.