Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

hey Mike how ya doing since your foot surgery

Posted by dave r on 12/03/02 at 08:23 (101641)

Mike awhile back you posted that you had foot surgery and claimed that it was a succes! You are very lucky. I am interested in your story and would like to talk to you about it if you are still around......

Re: hey Mike how ya doing since your foot surgery

john h on 12/03/02 at 12:16 (101660)

I think it is good to hear some stories like Mikes because most of the evidence and stats I have read indicate surgery cures a very large number of people with PF. Our board tends to have the people who are hard core and have many who have had failed surgeries. We probably scare many people away from surgery even after all else has failed including ESWT. Surgery is still a viable alternative. Patients just need to know the true risk and make sure you have a competent and experienced surgeon.

Re: Dr. Z, Would you recommend surgery after failed ESWT treatments?

Shane on 12/03/02 at 14:50 (101671)

Dr. Z,

Would you recommend PF Surgery after a couple failed ESWT treatments? How many ESWT treaments would you recommend before you consider it 'failure'. Failure obviously can have very different meanings, but let's say you can't walk for pleasure, have limited walking distance and it is difficult to stand because of burning in the arches. 2-3 treatment of eswt? Would surgery be a consideration at this point?

Thanks,

Shane

Dr. Z on 12/03/02 at 14:55 (101675)

IF you have what is called first step morning pain and there is severe pain on physical examination then either surgery or another round of ESWT. I want would wait at least four months before another round of eswt

dave r on 12/04/02 at 08:01 (101737)

Doctor Z, what if you dont have the typical morning pain. What if your pain levels get worse as the day goes on. Are you still a candidate for surgery even if two round of eswt havent helped?

Peter F on 12/11/02 at 10:05 (102701)

Dave

THAT is exactly the question I would like answering also.

Dr. Z on 12/11/02 at 10:07 (102703)

Yes

Re: hey Mike how ya doing since your foot surgery

john h on 12/03/02 at 12:16 (101660)

I think it is good to hear some stories like Mikes because most of the evidence and stats I have read indicate surgery cures a very large number of people with PF. Our board tends to have the people who are hard core and have many who have had failed surgeries. We probably scare many people away from surgery even after all else has failed including ESWT. Surgery is still a viable alternative. Patients just need to know the true risk and make sure you have a competent and experienced surgeon.

Shane on 12/03/02 at 14:50 (101671)

Dr. Z,

Would you recommend PF Surgery after a couple failed ESWT treatments? How many ESWT treaments would you recommend before you consider it 'failure'. Failure obviously can have very different meanings, but let's say you can't walk for pleasure, have limited walking distance and it is difficult to stand because of burning in the arches. 2-3 treatment of eswt? Would surgery be a consideration at this point?

Thanks,

Shane

Dr. Z on 12/03/02 at 14:55 (101675)

IF you have what is called first step morning pain and there is severe pain on physical examination then either surgery or another round of ESWT. I want would wait at least four months before another round of eswt

dave r on 12/04/02 at 08:01 (101737)

Doctor Z, what if you dont have the typical morning pain. What if your pain levels get worse as the day goes on. Are you still a candidate for surgery even if two round of eswt havent helped?

Peter F on 12/11/02 at 10:05 (102701)

Dave

THAT is exactly the question I would like answering also.

Dr. Z on 12/11/02 at 10:07 (102703)

Yes