Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Short note

Posted by Kari B on 12/03/02 at 19:45 (101713)

Hi all,
I wanted to stop in and say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes for my surgery this morning. I am home from the hospital. The surgery took about 2 solid hours and then in recovery for a bit over an hour. I was home about 10:30 am. I have slept all day and just woke up. The dr told my hubby that there was ALOT of scar tissue built up on top of the nerve and that he got it all cleaned up and I should be feeling better soon. I go in for post-op on the 11th and will have a short cast applied. Right now I have on a splint that is very well padded and wrapped. I was sent home with darvacet for pain (i've never taken this before). I am at a pain level of about 6 right now and not too sure this darvacet is working for me. I have been taking it every 4 hours like it says so the pain doesn't get out of control but so far I'm not too comfortable. So, I am going to post this and probably go back to sleep LOL! Thank you all! Take care and I will post again soon!
Kari

Re: best wishes for a full recovery (nm)

elliott on 12/03/02 at 21:13 (101719)

Re: Short note

carynz on 12/03/02 at 23:21 (101726)

wow! I am surprised you only had day surgery stay. I have been told I will be overnight in hospital so will ask about that on Thursday when I see new surgeon. Will look forward to hearing more from you when you are at a pain level of 1 rather than 6 - egads!

Take good care

cheers Caryn

Julie on 12/04/02 at 03:27 (101731)

Welcome back, Kari, and good wishes for your recovery and healing.

Sharon W on 12/04/02 at 07:26 (101736)

Kari,

Darvocet is not a very strong pain killer. If today it still isn't keeping your pain level below 6, you should call your surgeon and ask for something stronger.

Sharon

Suzanne D on 12/04/02 at 09:38 (101748)

I'm so glad the surgery is over, Kari, and extend my best wishes for your healing and for less pain for you!

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

Laurie R on 12/04/02 at 11:13 (101766)

Hi Kari, I'm so glad your surgery is over and you are home recovering .. I agree that Darvecet is not strong at all , it you are still in pain , please call your doctor and khe can order you something stonger.... Take care and I look forward to your updates....

Laurie R

BrianG on 12/04/02 at 20:47 (101805)

Darvocet is so weak, it should be sold over the counter! Most surgeons will usually prescribe something like Vicodan, for the first few days after going home. Even that is only a moderate pain med, for acute pain.

Regards & good luck on the healing,
BrianG

Kari B on 12/05/02 at 00:13 (101810)

Thanks to all of you and your wonderful support system! I did call my dr this morning and he put in a Rx for vicoden for me. My pain level is lowering, I'd say at this time its probably a 2-3. I'm not too keen on taking narcotic pain relievers, but I was sure glad to get this one. I will take the darvocet if my pain seems to stay lowered, but will remain on the vicoden as needed. My problem with these meds is that I get alot of the standard side effects like skin flushing etc which tends to make me feel sunburned and just a little bit ill. I will take these minor things over the pain i've been in any day though LOL. I will post more when in a couple of days. Hugs to you all!
Kari

Pam D. on 12/05/02 at 06:38 (101822)

Don't forget to ice!!! And, take the medicine with food. Elevate too.
I had my surgery on 10/31 and I am doing great. I had my first physical therapy on Monday with some Ultra sound and E-stim and with some lite stretching and I'm almost walking normal. Still have that lump in the arch but, it is getting better. My doctor never had me in a boot. After 3 weeks, he said put a shoe on and go. I used crutches for about another week, and I can walk pretty well now.
Pam D.

Kathy G on 12/05/02 at 19:38 (101902)

Kari,

I have been thinking about you and posted on the Social/Support board and Nancy said you were posting here. That makes much more sense, doesn't it?

I'm so glad you're making progress and very glad that you got the Vicodin instead of the Darvocet. I take Darvocet to take the edge off of my PF pain when it's bad at night and sometimes for my sinus headaches. It is not a post-surgery analgesic. Surgeons are nortoriously bad when it comes to prescribing post-op pain meds. The side effects are a bother but take it as long as you need it and then maybe just reserve it for night time (if that's when your pain is worst) and use the Darvocet during the day.

We'll all continue to root for you!

BrianG on 12/05/02 at 21:51 (101913)

Hi Kari,

Sounds like your doing well. One side effect of the Vicodan is consipation. Take an otc remedy if you have to (and most people have to :*)

Regards
BrianG

Re: update

Kari B on 12/05/02 at 22:39 (101919)

Hi,
I just wanted to update everyone just a bit. My foot is VERY sore and itchy tonight. It feels like the heel of my foot is numb and swollen. I am taking the vicoden every 4 hours like it says too. I've been elevating and icing. This is more annoying and irritating than anything. It feels almost as though the dressing is stuck to the surgical site. I'm crossing my fingers that the sensation goes away by morning. Thanks for all the support. Talk to you all soon!
Kari

Suzanne D on 12/05/02 at 22:42 (101920)

Good to hear from you while I was on tonight! I hope the itching is a sign of healing and that you feel better in the morning. We're all pulling for you!

Kari B on 12/05/02 at 22:53 (101921)

Kathy,
Hi, I'm sorry I haven't posted to the social board... I've actually been very behind on there the last few days. I was going to post the same messages to both boards because I know not everyone reads them all, but then I thought it might be annoying for the ones who do by getting double messages. I will be back to the social board as soon as I'm spending more time online again! I have been very touched by all the concern, well wishes, and support I have gotten from this site and can see why most people continue to post here even after they have finally begun to feel better. Thank you for the message and take care of yourself.
Kari

Sharon W on 12/06/02 at 01:30 (101926)

Kari,

My foot felt much the same way you described, a few days after my own TTS surgery -- it was numb and swollen, with lots of sensitivity to anything in contact with the incision. Swelling in the area around a nerve can lead to numbness, but of course swelling is a normal part of the healing process.

It sounds like you are doing everything RIGHT at this point -- keeping it elevated and icing regularly to keep the swelling under control, not trying to walk on it yet, and using your Vicodin to keep the pain down at a managable level.

Sharon

Laurie R on 12/06/02 at 22:05 (102037)

Hi Kari , I am so glad you called your doctor and got some stronger pain meds..... I hope they are helping you . Yes It is good to take them every four hours. The last thing you want to do is chase the pain ..... I wish you a speedy recovery .....Thanks for keeping us posted .... Laurie R

Re: best wishes for a full recovery (nm)

elliott on 12/03/02 at 21:13 (101719)

carynz on 12/03/02 at 23:21 (101726)

wow! I am surprised you only had day surgery stay. I have been told I will be overnight in hospital so will ask about that on Thursday when I see new surgeon. Will look forward to hearing more from you when you are at a pain level of 1 rather than 6 - egads!

Take good care

cheers Caryn

Julie on 12/04/02 at 03:27 (101731)

Welcome back, Kari, and good wishes for your recovery and healing.

Sharon W on 12/04/02 at 07:26 (101736)

Kari,

Darvocet is not a very strong pain killer. If today it still isn't keeping your pain level below 6, you should call your surgeon and ask for something stronger.

Sharon

Suzanne D on 12/04/02 at 09:38 (101748)

I'm so glad the surgery is over, Kari, and extend my best wishes for your healing and for less pain for you!

Take care,

Laurie R on 12/04/02 at 11:13 (101766)

Hi Kari, I'm so glad your surgery is over and you are home recovering .. I agree that Darvecet is not strong at all , it you are still in pain , please call your doctor and khe can order you something stonger.... Take care and I look forward to your updates....

Laurie R

BrianG on 12/04/02 at 20:47 (101805)

Darvocet is so weak, it should be sold over the counter! Most surgeons will usually prescribe something like Vicodan, for the first few days after going home. Even that is only a moderate pain med, for acute pain.

Regards & good luck on the healing,
BrianG

Kari B on 12/05/02 at 00:13 (101810)

Thanks to all of you and your wonderful support system! I did call my dr this morning and he put in a Rx for vicoden for me. My pain level is lowering, I'd say at this time its probably a 2-3. I'm not too keen on taking narcotic pain relievers, but I was sure glad to get this one. I will take the darvocet if my pain seems to stay lowered, but will remain on the vicoden as needed. My problem with these meds is that I get alot of the standard side effects like skin flushing etc which tends to make me feel sunburned and just a little bit ill. I will take these minor things over the pain i've been in any day though LOL. I will post more when in a couple of days. Hugs to you all!
Kari

Pam D. on 12/05/02 at 06:38 (101822)

Don't forget to ice!!! And, take the medicine with food. Elevate too.
I had my surgery on 10/31 and I am doing great. I had my first physical therapy on Monday with some Ultra sound and E-stim and with some lite stretching and I'm almost walking normal. Still have that lump in the arch but, it is getting better. My doctor never had me in a boot. After 3 weeks, he said put a shoe on and go. I used crutches for about another week, and I can walk pretty well now.
Pam D.

Kathy G on 12/05/02 at 19:38 (101902)

Kari,

I have been thinking about you and posted on the Social/Support board and Nancy said you were posting here. That makes much more sense, doesn't it?

I'm so glad you're making progress and very glad that you got the Vicodin instead of the Darvocet. I take Darvocet to take the edge off of my PF pain when it's bad at night and sometimes for my sinus headaches. It is not a post-surgery analgesic. Surgeons are nortoriously bad when it comes to prescribing post-op pain meds. The side effects are a bother but take it as long as you need it and then maybe just reserve it for night time (if that's when your pain is worst) and use the Darvocet during the day.

We'll all continue to root for you!

BrianG on 12/05/02 at 21:51 (101913)

Hi Kari,

Sounds like your doing well. One side effect of the Vicodan is consipation. Take an otc remedy if you have to (and most people have to :*)

Regards
BrianG

Kari B on 12/05/02 at 22:39 (101919)

Hi,
I just wanted to update everyone just a bit. My foot is VERY sore and itchy tonight. It feels like the heel of my foot is numb and swollen. I am taking the vicoden every 4 hours like it says too. I've been elevating and icing. This is more annoying and irritating than anything. It feels almost as though the dressing is stuck to the surgical site. I'm crossing my fingers that the sensation goes away by morning. Thanks for all the support. Talk to you all soon!
Kari

Suzanne D on 12/05/02 at 22:42 (101920)

Good to hear from you while I was on tonight! I hope the itching is a sign of healing and that you feel better in the morning. We're all pulling for you!

Kari B on 12/05/02 at 22:53 (101921)

Kathy,
Hi, I'm sorry I haven't posted to the social board... I've actually been very behind on there the last few days. I was going to post the same messages to both boards because I know not everyone reads them all, but then I thought it might be annoying for the ones who do by getting double messages. I will be back to the social board as soon as I'm spending more time online again! I have been very touched by all the concern, well wishes, and support I have gotten from this site and can see why most people continue to post here even after they have finally begun to feel better. Thank you for the message and take care of yourself.
Kari

Sharon W on 12/06/02 at 01:30 (101926)

Kari,

My foot felt much the same way you described, a few days after my own TTS surgery -- it was numb and swollen, with lots of sensitivity to anything in contact with the incision. Swelling in the area around a nerve can lead to numbness, but of course swelling is a normal part of the healing process.

It sounds like you are doing everything RIGHT at this point -- keeping it elevated and icing regularly to keep the swelling under control, not trying to walk on it yet, and using your Vicodin to keep the pain down at a managable level.

Sharon

Laurie R on 12/06/02 at 22:05 (102037)

Hi Kari , I am so glad you called your doctor and got some stronger pain meds..... I hope they are helping you . Yes It is good to take them every four hours. The last thing you want to do is chase the pain ..... I wish you a speedy recovery .....Thanks for keeping us posted .... Laurie R